What's new

Let's talk Beer (1 Viewer)

Mark Romero

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Romero
Zen, Japan, huh? Where are you going? Most Japanese beer isn't very good IMHO. Some microbrews I have had are. I've just recently seen some good beer stores. Reasonable prices for Belgian ales. Also, for a pretty good beer, try the Ginga Kogen. There are 3 different varieties. They have a reindeer on the can. Probably the best macro beer in the country. Asahi Black is also pretty good.

Michael Marklund

Stunt Coordinator
Zen,
Japan huh? It's pretty cool over there once you get to know little local tricks and where to go. If not, it's very confusing and very(!) expensive. Do not plan on eating beef or fruit unless you have access to a connection. This is the land of the $35.00 canteloupes. Beef can run $100.00 a pound for the good stuff. If possible, get to Akihabara (sp?). It's the giant electronics region/shopping area of Tokyo. (btw-I lived over there for 2 years and graduated high school from there.) Beer selection is slim. Kirin beats Asahi but that's not saying much. Neat thing though: beer is available in streetside vending machines! How long will you be there?
One other note from my trip that I forgot. At the PHX airport, while waiting for our flight, I had a couple of Sam Adams. I thought the taste different than usual and much smoother. More of cream presence than that distinctive hop profile. The malt seemed to balance out much better. Bartender at the airport, who actually knew something about beers, said it was their Oktoberfest. Not bad at all coming from a brewery I'm not fond of.:)
Be good,
MM

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
The Japan trip is not etched in stone. Neither is our merger with Suzuki. It would not be at least until Dec/Jan, but I will keep you posted.
I had a couple of Sam Adams. I thought the taste different than usual and much smoother. More of cream presence than that distinctive hop profile. The malt seemed to balance out much better
Would the aliens please return the real Michael Marklund ? :)

Michael Marklund

Stunt Coordinator
Zen,
Nyuck, nyuck, nyuck!
Believe it or not, I don't condemn an entire brewery just because their flagship/mainstay doesn't suit my taste. SamAdams was the only micro at the airport and I'll take just about any micro over B/C/M. What struck me as odd on this one was that distinctive SamAdams bite/aftertaste wasn't there. When the bartender told me it was their Oktoberfest, I had to give 'em credit for making something that wasn't all that bad (note: I didn't say it was great.)
Conversly, Rogue (making one of my favorites) also makes some I flat out don't like. I try to keep an open mind and will only judge a brewery/brewer by the individual products I have tried of theirs. Very rarely do I find one brewery that I enjoy everything they make. It is also rare to have a brewery that doesn't make at least one redeemable beer. Ok, there are exceptions and this comment only applies to micros. YMMV.:)
Alaskan smoke porter?? Haven't had it. Smokes aren't my cup of tea either. It's just a flavor that I don't care for in my beer. Apricot and chili peppers don't float my boat either. A review from me on these types of beer would be useless given my bias away from them. Alaskan's amber is top notch though.
Ron, will check my PMs and flip you my addy for ALE.
MM

Dave Morton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
I saw that the Sam Adams Octoberfest was out. I really enjoy that brew. I will be picking up a 12-pack this weekend!

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I got back from Yellowstone/Grand Tetons a couple of weeks ago and in addition to the great hiking it was a pretty good beer experience as well.
The Snake River Brewing Co. in Jackson runs a great brewpub with a nice selection of goodies on tap. In our two visits we tried the Zonker Stout, the Hoback Hefeweizen, the Buffalo Brown Ale, and the A.K. Session (English-style ale). All were top notch (food wasn't bad, either).
The bar in our lodge in Yellowstone had a nice stock of local beers. One in particular became a favorite - Moose Drool Brown Ale from Big Sky Brewery in Montana.
Unfortunately none of these seem to be available in Texas. :frowning: So it looks like I may be ordering beer over the Internet for the first time. :D

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
You can't have a beer thread without a canadian in it so I'm setting that straight now:)
My personal fav's are Newcastle brown ale, Sleemans honey brown ale, Big Rock grasshopper is a nice beer but their traditiional is more to my taste...if its hot and the beers cold Labatt lite isn't to bad either.
but its hard to best a pint of newcastle from the tap at a british pub

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
. I think the Canadians do make some good brews, but more on the micro level. Check out Unibroe.
I think that can be said of any country. I mean you wouldnt want me to judge american beer on the "big" names would you? There's a lot to be said for smaller micro's that don't have to deal with pastuerizing their products.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
I think that can be said of any country. I mean you wouldnt want me to judge american beer on the "big" names would you?
Right you are my friend. I would hate to judge any country on the merits of their macro-swill. Which is why I gave mad props to one of the best breweries in the world, Unibroe, which would be my guage for Canadian brew. :)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I am a beer lover, but have not been very adventurous about it. Let me tell you what I like and dislike, perhaps you will know what to recommend.
My beer of choice is Heineken. I don't believe it will ever be dethroned as the greatest brew on the planet. As someone said earlier, it is my fall back beer, the sure bet, the no nonsense brew, the one that never dissapoints.
Now, I like the following a LOT: Bass Ale, LowenBrau, Sapporo (discored recently at a sushi bar).
I tolerate Corona and Bud.
So, what do you think? ;)
--
Holadem

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
and the guest of honor will be a keg of Paulaner Oktoberfest
I am assuming you are talking of the very tasty Paulaner Octoberfest Amber Marzen , which is very fine.
Paulaner is a very old brewery in Munich, and little by little have aquired fallen breweries, to become the largest in Munich. Their front runner would definitely be their Salvator Doppelbock , which is amazing, if a bit strong. A nice cold weathered brew. Enjoy that keg

Greg Z

Stunt Coordinator
I'm gonna slip right in here with a question. I'm trying to get a list together of all the imported (German) 5 liter mini kegs are available in the U.S. I've seen a lot of DAB, Grolsh, Bitburger, Becks, et al. Ive asked my local store, but they were not much help. "Tell me what you want and I'll try to get it" Sheesh! I WANT it ALL! :D I've listed a few german web sites just to give you an idea of what is available in Europe. Any help would be swell!:emoji_thumbsup:
A personal collector's site. Great retailer site! Try here for translation.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I am not a German beer fan so I have nothing to offer to the table on those you listed Greg.
But, I did have a great Friday night at the Liquor Warehouse. Stocked up the Beer Fridge with;
Moylan's Double IPA
Widmer Bros. Heffeweizen
Lagunitas IPA
Flying Dog Amber
Firestone Pale Ale
*Some others as well, but they escape me as of right now.
I really enjoyed the Lagunitas IPA. Crisp and clean, with a slight citrus flavor, very hoppy with a solid malt body. A lighter brewed beer, not very complex which makes for a very good hot day brew.
Peace Out~:D

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
I really enjoyed the Lagunitas IPA.
Ron, I knew you would like this. Yes, it is a very simple beer. Nothing crazy, but so clean and a nice amount of hops eh? Lagunitas has turned into one my current faves.
My LW run this weekend
Ruination IPA 2-22oz. bombers
Bear Republic Racer 5 IPA 1-22oz. bomber
Stone IPA 6 pk.
Stone Levitation Ale - 1 16oz. sample bottle
First, Stone Levitation Ale , with the praise of all other Stone products, I was happy to receive a free sample of its Levitation Ale . Well, one word....yuck!
It is a very complex brew for a 4.4% lighter ale. In comparison to other lighter brews, this one boasts a deeper color than most. Hints of butterscotch, bisquit and well more butter to its light-medium body. Sound good right? No! This brew is a train wreck, with all the promising ingredients and absolutely no resolve. The bitter finish is very similar to Samuel Adams , and I don't think that Stone has implemented hallertau to its inventory. In a nutshell, fine ingredients, but a finish the equivalent of dirty socks.
Ron- with winter coming the Stone Double Bastard is coming, should be around in a few weeks. Supposed to be a great 10% ale, perfect for colder weather. Watch for that one.

JohnE

Supporting Actor
I tried the Lagunitas only recentely myself. I was damned impressed. Very good IPA! I hope my local market continues stocking it.
They haven't really been very adventureous lately and have only been keeping the more well known stuff on hand. THis forces me to drive across town if I'm looking for anything interesting. Pisses me off! I'm lazy, I know.:D

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I'm back from the beer cellar:)
Alright, just got back from a beer stock-up run this weekend, went a little crazy on the IPA's.
The List
Stone Levitation Ale
Lagunitas IPA
Bear Republic Hop Rod Rye
Stone Ruination IPA
Red Hook IPA
Moylan's Double IPA
..and some Full Sail Amber
As for the Stone: Levitation Ale. Pours a light copper color with a nice frothy head. The nose is big and hoppy with a dry bitter body and a clean hoppy finish. Brewing in at a low 4.4% ABV, it is a winner. A refreshing brew. My first impression on this a while back was not so good, but this time around I enjoyed it much more.
On to the Hop Rod Rye. Reviewed this before, pours a golden amber with a mild floral nose with a hint of a pine needle type aroma (didn't pick up on the pine before). A hoppy beer with a bitter finish. For a rye it is a bit on the mellow side which makes it easily drinkable. Brew's in at a wopping 8.0% abv.
Had to pick up some more Legunitas IPA as you can read from my post above, a good one.
Peace Out~:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks