Let's talk Beer

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Ron-P, Jun 19, 2002.

1. Mark Romero

Mark Romero Second Unit

Zen, Japan, huh? Where are you going? Most Japanese beer isn't very good IMHO. Some microbrews I have had are. I've just recently seen some good beer stores. Reasonable prices for Belgian ales. Also, for a pretty good beer, try the Ginga Kogen. There are 3 different varieties. They have a reindeer on the can. Probably the best macro beer in the country. Asahi Black is also pretty good.

2. Michael Marklund

Michael Marklund Stunt Coordinator

Zen,
    Japan huh? It's pretty cool over there once you get to know little local tricks and where to go. If not, it's very confusing and very(!) expensive. Do not plan on eating beef or fruit unless you have access to a connection. This is the land of the $35.00 canteloupes. Beef can run $100.00 a pound for the good stuff. If possible, get to Akihabara (sp?). It's the giant electronics region/shopping area of Tokyo. (btw-I lived over there for 2 years and graduated high school from there.) Beer selection is slim. Kirin beats Asahi but that's not saying much. Neat thing though: beer is available in streetside vending machines! How long will you be there?
    One other note from my trip that I forgot. At the PHX airport, while waiting for our flight, I had a couple of Sam Adams. I thought the taste different than usual and much smoother. More of cream presence than that distinctive hop profile. The malt seemed to balance out much better. Bartender at the airport, who actually knew something about beers, said it was their Oktoberfest. Not bad at all coming from a brewery I'm not fond of.[​IMG]
    Be good,
    MM

3. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    The Japan trip is not etched in stone. Neither is our merger with Suzuki. It would not be at least until Dec/Jan, but I will keep you posted.

4. Michael Marklund

Michael Marklund Stunt Coordinator

Zen,
    Nyuck, nyuck, nyuck!
    Believe it or not, I don't condemn an entire brewery just because their flagship/mainstay doesn't suit my taste. SamAdams was the only micro at the airport and I'll take just about any micro over B/C/M. What struck me as odd on this one was that distinctive SamAdams bite/aftertaste wasn't there. When the bartender told me it was their Oktoberfest, I had to give 'em credit for making something that wasn't all that bad (note: I didn't say it was great.)
    Conversly, Rogue (making one of my favorites) also makes some I flat out don't like. I try to keep an open mind and will only judge a brewery/brewer by the individual products I have tried of theirs. Very rarely do I find one brewery that I enjoy everything they make. It is also rare to have a brewery that doesn't make at least one redeemable beer. Ok, there are exceptions and this comment only applies to micros. YMMV.[​IMG]
    Alaskan smoke porter?? Haven't had it. Smokes aren't my cup of tea either. It's just a flavor that I don't care for in my beer. Apricot and chili peppers don't float my boat either. A review from me on these types of beer would be useless given my bias away from them. Alaskan's amber is top notch though.
    Ron, will check my PMs and flip you my addy for ALE.
    MM

5. Dave Morton

Dave Morton Supporting Actor

Dave
    I saw that the Sam Adams Octoberfest was out. I really enjoy that brew. I will be picking up a 12-pack this weekend!

6. BrentJ

BrentJ Second Unit

If you can find a fresh 6'er of Red Stripe. It's hard to beat!

7. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    I got back from Yellowstone/Grand Tetons a couple of weeks ago and in addition to the great hiking it was a pretty good beer experience as well.
    The Snake River Brewing Co. in Jackson runs a great brewpub with a nice selection of goodies on tap. In our two visits we tried the Zonker Stout, the Hoback Hefeweizen, the Buffalo Brown Ale, and the A.K. Session (English-style ale). All were top notch (food wasn't bad, either).
    The bar in our lodge in Yellowstone had a nice stock of local beers. One in particular became a favorite - Moose Drool Brown Ale from Big Sky Brewery in Montana.
    Unfortunately none of these seem to be available in Texas. [​IMG] So it looks like I may be ordering beer over the Internet for the first time. [​IMG]

8. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

You can't have a beer thread without a canadian in it so I'm setting that straight now[​IMG]
    My personal fav's are Newcastle brown ale, Sleemans honey brown ale, Big Rock grasshopper is a nice beer but their traditiional is more to my taste...if its hot and the beers cold Labatt lite isn't to bad either.
    but its hard to best a pint of newcastle from the tap at a british pub

9. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    Okay time to try it

10. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

11. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler

12. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

I am a beer lover, but have not been very adventurous about it. Let me tell you what I like and dislike, perhaps you will know what to recommend.
    My beer of choice is Heineken. I don't believe it will ever be dethroned as the greatest brew on the planet. As someone said earlier, it is my fall back beer, the sure bet, the no nonsense brew, the one that never dissapoints.
    Now, I like the following a LOT: Bass Ale, LowenBrau, Sapporo (discored recently at a sushi bar).
    I tolerate Corona and Bud.
    So, what do you think? [​IMG]
    --
    Holadem

13. Stefan A

Stefan A Second Unit

[​IMG]

14. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler

15. Greg Z

Greg Z Stunt Coordinator

I'm gonna slip right in here with a question. I'm trying to get a list together of all the imported (German) 5 liter mini kegs are available in the U.S. I've seen a lot of DAB, Grolsh, Bitburger, Becks, et al. Ive asked my local store, but they were not much help. "Tell me what you want and I'll try to get it" Sheesh! I WANT it ALL! [​IMG] I've listed a few german web sites just to give you an idea of what is available in Europe. Any help would be swell![​IMG]
    A personal collector's site. Great retailer site! Try here for translation.

16. Stefan A

Stefan A Second Unit

I have gotten Warsteiner in this sort of container.

17. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    I am not a German beer fan so I have nothing to offer to the table on those you listed Greg.
    But, I did have a great Friday night at the Liquor Warehouse. Stocked up the Beer Fridge with;
    Moylan's Double IPA
    Widmer Bros. Heffeweizen
    Lagunitas IPA
    Flying Dog Amber
    Firestone Pale Ale
    *Some others as well, but they escape me as of right now.
    I really enjoyed the Lagunitas IPA. Crisp and clean, with a slight citrus flavor, very hoppy with a solid malt body. A lighter brewed beer, not very complex which makes for a very good hot day brew.
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

18. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler

19. JohnE

JohnE Supporting Actor

I tried the Lagunitas only recentely myself. I was damned impressed. Very good IPA! I hope my local market continues stocking it.
    They haven't really been very adventureous lately and have only been keeping the more well known stuff on hand. THis forces me to drive across town if I'm looking for anything interesting. Pisses me off! I'm lazy, I know.[​IMG]

20. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    I'm back from the beer cellar[​IMG]
    Alright, just got back from a beer stock-up run this weekend, went a little crazy on the IPA's.
    The List
    Stone Levitation Ale
    Lagunitas IPA
    Bear Republic Hop Rod Rye
    Stone Ruination IPA
    Red Hook IPA
    Moylan's Double IPA
    ..and some Full Sail Amber
    As for the Stone: Levitation Ale. Pours a light copper color with a nice frothy head. The nose is big and hoppy with a dry bitter body and a clean hoppy finish. Brewing in at a low 4.4% ABV, it is a winner. A refreshing brew. My first impression on this a while back was not so good, but this time around I enjoyed it much more.
    On to the Hop Rod Rye. Reviewed this before, pours a golden amber with a mild floral nose with a hint of a pine needle type aroma (didn't pick up on the pine before). A hoppy beer with a bitter finish. For a rye it is a bit on the mellow side which makes it easily drinkable. Brew's in at a wopping 8.0% abv.
    Had to pick up some more Legunitas IPA as you can read from my post above, a good one.
    Peace Out~[​IMG]