What's new

Let's Talk About How Great We Are! (1 Viewer)

David Tallen

Stunt Coordinator
Am I the only one who finds it more than a little odd that so many Home Theater Forum members have found it necessary to tell the membership that they contributed to the purchase of the new server, and amount of their contribution? Can any of you arm-chair psychologists explain this phenomenon to me? I alternate between being annoyed and amused at such posts.
If you can't answer my first question, perhaps you can explain why I care. This second mystery may be the more intriguing.
------------------
"If you set aside Three Mile Island and Chernobyl, the safety record of nuclear is really very good." Paul O'Neill, Treasury Secretary.

AaronNWilson

Second Unit
Well maybe the reason they are doing it, is because they feel it may be their only chance for recognition of their contribution. This seems pretty logical to me.
Aaron

David Tallen

Stunt Coordinator
... they feel it may be their only chance for recognition of their contribution.
I think that begs the question. If that is their reason, then why do they need to be recognized for doing a good deed? Why aren't they satisfied with the knowledge that they did it?
I think it has more to do with avoiding a situation in which other people think that maybe they didn't contribute at all. Of course, the irony is that no matter what is posted regarding contribution amounts, no one (or almost no one) is going to know whether or not they are telling the truth.
------------------
"If you set aside Three Mile Island and Chernobyl, the safety record of nuclear is really very good." Paul O'Neill, Treasury Secretary.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I contributed half a million dollars.
And seventy-three cents.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Narcissism? Egotism? The "hero who actively seeks out the news media" syndrome?
You care because you don't like these traits?
Bound to be something like that.
Todd

AaronNWilson

Second Unit
Of course, the irony is that no matter what is posted regarding contribution amounts, no one (or almost no one) is going to know whether or not they are telling the truth.
Cmon I think that is being a bit too harsh. I have absolutely no reason to believe that anybody who has posted how much they have donated is lying.
Another point you made is whether the self satisfaction is enough, which makes me think you are missing the point. We are not saving starving children in Africa here, the drive is to buy the HTF a new server which is quite a bit different. What people are basically saying by doing this is showing hey I use this server a lot and I don't want to be seen as a cheap ass by not contributing, so I will let people see how appreciative I am of the HTF.
Aaron

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
I know why.
They're all hoping to use it as a defense when I throw them out
wink.gif

"But, you can't ban me forever-- don't you remember I gave you guys twenty bucks"
-Vince
------------------
http://www.musicianassist.com
AIM: VinceMaskeeper
Interested in moving into FRONT PROJECTION with huge 6-10 foot widescreen? Buy my whole HDTV-ready CRT based front projection system delivered, cheap! Click here
[Edited last by Vince Maskeeper on September 08, 2001 at 03:49 PM]

David Tallen

Stunt Coordinator
What people are basically saying by doing this is showing hey I use this server a lot and I don't want to be seen as a cheap ass by not contributing...
They may be thinking that, but what kind of a lunk head would draw such a conclusion about another person with no other proof than the fact that the person did not claim to have contributed. Although I don't know for sure, my guess is that of all the contributors, more than half did not submit a post announcing that they had contributed.
Come to think of if, I don't remember either Ron or Packy making such an announcement. Those cheap bastards! :)
------------------

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
David, that's why Ron and Packy should keep the donation line permanent. If nothing else, they can get their own money back. I'd hate to see how much money they have forked out of their own pockets just for us.
Glenn

Eric Scott

Second Unit
quote: a defense when I throw them out[/quote]Never thought of that, emm...maybe I better give a little more?
I admit that I'm not going to give the $25,000 I bragged about, I'm buying the Custom Wilson Sub for my 59 Caddie rag top instead!
I mentioned my actual modest $25 contribution because I wanted to be part of the group who seemed anxious to build some enthusiasm for the drive, and to help create a little peer pressure for other people to act. (This is typical in fund drives.)
David, I am not a arm-chair psychologist, so if you send me $75 I'll answer your question the best I can. Meanwhile, remember that amused is costing you the same as annoyed, but isn't as much fun.
crazy.gif

[Edited last by Eric Scott on September 09, 2001 at 08:58 AM]

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Well, perhaps part of the reason is to challenge others to match or better their donation. It may just be showing off, though I don't see how claiming to have bid $10 is going to make the whole HTF worship your generosity. I started the thread in software to get the awareness up. Each person who posted, whether saying what they donated or otherwise, helped keep the thread current.
Perhaps the reason it bothers you is a guilty conscience? An associaion with a bad childhood experience? Gas? :)
------------------
Link Removed | Burt Lancaster is Link Removed | dOc

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
This is an interesting topic. I recently did something and went out of my way to prevent anyone from knowing I did it. Is it so I could bring it up later? I would say not. It was just a fair amount of money and I didn't want to make it seem like I was trying to impress anyone. Of course, me telling all of you could be fulfilling an unconscious desire to be recognized for it. Can't say. Arrrggg.
------------------
Bombardment Society - Member

David Tallen

Stunt Coordinator
Gas?
Now we're getting somewhere.
Alex, I feel your pain. Sorry if I prompted you to break your own rule. :)
------------------

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with that.
Reporting your contribution is a nice thing to have to report anyway. It also encourages others to join. And it enhances the social feelings we have as a group. It's mainly a contribution to a sort of group-hug.
It's also very American.
Perhaps it's like this: if you social life depends more on people coming from other places than on pure inhabitants-for-generations-already, you have to develop new means of feeling comfortable and close together. Thus official announcements of conforming to or participation in whatever the "official" opinion or behaviour seems to be, is felt more necessary for individuals.
And why not allow a little bit of individual bragging if the cause is so ultimately positive
laugh.gif
?
Cees

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
I don't know how to respond to this. I contributed $100 and I replied to the thread to say I did. I don't believe I was trying to brag about it, to challenge anyone, to make anyone feel inadequate about their smaller contribution or guilty about their non-contribution. I felt $100 was an appropriate amount to convey my gratitude to HTF. I can't explain why I had to tell everyone I contributed $100. In the real world (face to face with people) I don't think I crave recognition for the things I do. I feel aw-shucks embarrassed when I receive it. But I don't wish to be anonymous.

AaronNWilson

Second Unit
Yeah what is the point of being a philantropist if it doesn't give you any advantages. Some people may think just the fact that you donated money to a charity is a good enough reward and perchance your rewards will be dealt to you in other ways.
Why is it that people get so uptight when someone says they donated $20 to HTF but if some wealthy person donated money in the order of millions of dollars to improve hospital conditions in Africa then there would be no ill feeling towards that person.
The layman doesn't have millions, so he does what he can. If I had millions it would be great to make everyone's life a little bit easier but I don't.
Aaron

David Tallen

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah what is the point of being a philantropist if it doesn't give you any advantages.
Gee, Aaron, no smiley face after that statement? Are we to believe that you made that statement for the whole world to see, and that you actually feel that way?
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks