LETS TALK ABOUT 1080p/24fps

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by BrandonH, Feb 21, 2008.

1. BrandonH

BrandonH Stunt Coordinator

I have not found a thread dedicated to just talking about 24fps.
    so thought I would start one.
    I think I like it.
    Many of the movies @ 1080p/24fps look very much like the theater and some not so good.
    But would like to hear other peoples thoughts on this subject.
    Likes and dislikes, it is it overrated...Hyped?

2. BrandonH

3. Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce Producer

Actually, originally movie cameras were hand cranked. To maintain a steady speed, the camera operator would often sing a well known song to himself, to try and keep the pace.

But you are correct, once motors started being used 18fps became a standard, but not the only standard. Some camera men shot at 16fps to save film. By the late teens and early twenties 18fps was pretty much the standard for the film studios of the day. This is one reason why silent films always seem to be running to fast when being run on a modern sound projector.

When sound came in many people wanted to shoot at a higher frame rate than even 24fps, but 24 was chosen because of economics.

Doug

4. Jari K

Jari K Producer

I´m not sure what are you trying to say here? "Some not so good"?

Most film based movies are shot in 24fps. Blu-ray/HD DVD-releases include that film in the disc at 24fps.

To get that native 24fps out from the disc, you´ll need 24fps HD-player AND also TV/projector that accepts native 24fps.

So if the HD-disc (Blu-ray/HD DVD) is using a proper source and is properly mastered etc. AND you have a HD-player that support 24fps AND the TV that accepts 24fps = You´re all set.

If you don´t have a player AND/OR TV that outputs/accepts 24fps, then you don´t really benefit from it.

5. BrandonH

I have the set Sony KDS-60A3000 that accepts 1080p/24fps and a player Samsung BD-UP5000 that outputs that too.
    The not so good one I have found so far is the Lady in the water. It was better watched with 24fps turned off.
    And I don't know why all the rest look amazing IMO at 24fps.

6. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Well, w/ 24fps output, you *should* lose the judder issue for 24fps (film) source content. The 3:2 pulldown needed for 30/60fps (from 24fps source) causes judder, which can be noticeable on smooth panning shots, certain smooth action sequences, rolling credits, etc.

The judder bothers some people more than others. I sometimes notice it myself, but it's not usually bothersome to me -- most times, it's just the rolling credits that are noticeable to me.

_Man_

7. Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce Producer

There is still a stutter or strobing effect with native 24fps. The 3:2 pull down is only slightly more pronounced than direct 24fps. Honestly I doubt most people would be able to spot the difference most of the time.

Doug

8. Vern Dias

Vern Dias Stunt Coordinator

Until you watch the rolling end credits. The difference there becomes obvious.

Vern

9. Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce Producer

I don't see it as radically different. It also depends on the speed of the credits too.

Doug

10. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie
    Supporter

Stephen J. Hill
    I find the strobe effect more obvious in horizontal pans, but maybe that's just me.

11. Eric-S

Eric-S Stunt Coordinator

So I have a sony LCD rear projection tv that accepts 1080p/24, however it does not display a 120Hz signal, just 60 Hz. I have my PS 3 in my theater room. Is there any benefit at all feeding the 1080p/24 signal?

thanks,
    ej

12. Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce Producer

I'm fairly sure that if its not 120hz, it won't accept a 24fps signal with out the 2:3 pull down. It may however accept 1080p, which is not the same as 24fps.

Doug

13. Eric-S

Eric-S Stunt Coordinator

No, it says 1280p/ 24, there is a menu setting for it. It's a 46E3000.

14. Brian Docili

Brian Docili Auditioning

A lot of the newer TV's accept 1080p/24, but they do not have a true multiple of 24 frequency (120hz for example). My Phillips 47" TV is like that. So, while it is nice that my TV can do that, all I am doing is switching the 3:2 pulldown from the Blu/Red player to my TV.