What's new

Let's make snide comments at the expense of the Super Bowl Performers thread! (1 Viewer)

Bill Balcziak

Supporting Actor
Barry Manilow did a dreadful job keeping up with his lip synching, eh?

Also, who did his wax figure makeup?

Creepy.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
I thought U2 did very well...had me choked up when they scrolled the list of casualties from the bombing...

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
No offense to the two of you that choked, but doesn't a scrolling lists of names seem a bit tasteless to you. U2 is basically a big bloated super-kmart of music, playing at the big fiasco bloated event of the year and they scroll across a list of people who died?

I'm not sure how turning people into names, or what is worse a super bowl half time show, honors the memory of people. Even more so, it wasn't like a moment to remember people- it was just used as a backdrop for a half time show.

Maybe I missed the pont, but it seemed to be to offer more of a disservice to these people to turn them into a commodity, as part of a "half time show" while a band rocked out in the foreground.

Call me silly.

-Vince

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
And what's the deal with the list of names? It stopped after the "C"s; I couldn't tell if that was planned or if there were technical difficulties. Either way, it seemed like a bad idea.

Brian Bunn

Second Unit
I thought scrolling the names of those that died on 9/11 was appropriate. What better place to honor them than at the most watched event of the year? That was basically what the U2 Halftime show was about...to honor the victims of 9/11. I didn't see anything wrong with it.

You guys are thinking about it too much. Just look at it for what it was...honoring the victims. How could that be a bad thing?

"U2 is basically a big bloated super-kmart of music"...does the fact that you despise the band have something to do with your take on it? Don't know.

Scott Hayes

Second Unit
I think that if a memorial is built it should include the names of the victims, so for me I liked the tribute. I thought it fit the song. As far as it being in the middle of the superbowl I can see how some might not like it. But for me it worked. If it had been a boy band or Brittany Spears I would not have liked it, but U2 has given extreme amounts of money to charities that strive for world peace.

For me that lent more credibility to the tribute. But to each his own.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Vince:
Ditto!
I just keep thinking back, as well, to the initial public announcement by the Super Bowl organizers that they wanted a quintessential American band to set just the right tone for this post-September 11th Super Bowl -- U2!?!?!?!?

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
does the fact that you despise the band have something to do with your take on it? Don't know.
I actually like U2, and if you knew anything about the band you'd know that they called themselves bloated-- and launched their entire tour "Pop mart" at Kmart to poke fun at how they are cheesy specticle.

-V

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
There was a game today?
Funny, no one mentioned it.
:laugh:

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I thought the tribute was tacky. AND, it seems to me that they dropped the back-cloth to look like the WTC coming down. Creepy!

But, hey, this is America- the show MUST go on!

Actually, I thought the whole pre-game "Football=heroes=patriotism" theme was just crap. Riding on the coat tails of our 2nd largest National tragedy- Depraved, IMO.

I'm not exactly sure how to pay tribute to those that perished, but if that was it, it says something very bad about our country.

Todd

Brian Bunn

Second Unit
Vince--I'm sorry. Your comments led me to believe that you didn't much care for the band. My mistake.

I know PLENTY about U2, having been a fan from the early 80's. Yeah, the whole ZOO TV Tour and Pop Mart extravaganza was done to poke fun at themselves and what they had become. But in no way can you say that the band's halftime show tonight should be taken in the same vein. Well, I guess you can if you want to view it that way, but I am sure that was not U2's intentions.

I thought it was simply a nice tribute.

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone else here think that Mariah Carey singing the National Anthem was horrible?
It seems like all these big name stars want to personalize it with their own little twist or flavor. I forgot which game but I also remember Whitney Houston doing much of the same only she was louder and let her voice go on and on and on (there’s a term for that but I don’t know what it is). At first I thought Mariah could do an awesome job because how high her voice goes. I also thought with all the trouble she’s been going through she would really make it sound heartfelt. The National Anthem already has defined places where a person’s voice is supposed to peak. Hum it to yourself. I think you will understand what I mean. Next time they should get some unknown kid to or older person to sing it right.

Brian Bunn

Second Unit
DAMN!! I believe you guys are looking at this thing all the wrong way! Geez. Try standing right side up and taking a look! There, you see it now? It is a TRIBUTE for God's sake!

David Werner

Stunt Coordinator
However ironic the Dublin boys are, a show viewed by the millions has some poetic justice. Why not take this time to show rememberance to the lost lives? I find it a good change of pace versus the strictly "Please entertain me" halftime extravaganza, your mileage may vary as I'm sure it will. I liked it:emoji_thumbsup:

Gui A

Supporting Actor
I'm still not sure what to think about the way the tribute 'bed sheet' with the names was brought down...
I mean, was it supposed to symbolize the towers crashing to earth? I'm not sure, but I think I find that a bit tasteless. :confused: Don't know what I'm thinking about it really. confused.
Or is it something completely different?

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
I only caught the end of the halftime junk but seeing McCartney sing with Terry "my commercials should be banned from the airwaves" Bradshaw made me go "Wuht!?". As if Wings wasn't enough of a disservice to the world of music ... now this!

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
I, too, kinda gasped when the sheet came falling down. I truly wonder if that was an accident, as the continued projecting names after it fell (you could see the projections on the band members faces). Didn't care for it at all.

And then, to have a tribute to America superbowl with an Irish band??? Maybe I'm thinking to hard about this, but wouldn't a true American band have been better??

I was fairly bored through halftime.

Users who are viewing this thread