What's new

Lethal Weapon in HD-DVD. What happened to the sequels? (1 Viewer)

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
why just release the 1st when everyone expects all 3? and it's hard to complete it when you know the 4th one is coming out.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I would imagine that Warner Bros. has to ramp up their HD DVD production capacity given that HD DVD is in its infancy. Releasing titles across a variety of genres also makes more sense vs. focusing on one franchise, IMHO; at this stage of development.

- Walter.

Shawn.F

Supporting Actor
What happened to being patient? Jesus, they just started putting out HD DVDs, give them a *little* bit of time. At least Warner is starting with the first one, as opposed to starting on the fourth Harry Potter film or the fifth Batman film.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
They adhered to the same strategy with the first DVD releases. One film at a time over a period of a few months. It takes time to master and press these things. So, they could give you part one now, or wait a year and put them all out at once.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
if the process was so "easy" and streamlined, they should have mastered these LAST year and have been ready to deliver. hell they were bent on CHristmas release of '05. i realize co. resources/inventory costs/ etc. but still. more film released=faster adoption rate. the reason why most people bought DVD players in droves (regardless of cost) at the turn of the century (1999-2000) is because films like The Matrix and Terminator had been released on DVD. these "killer apps" has just got to appear right away and not... 2-3 after format intros.

DVD came out in what? 97? it took 3 years before the mass started to adopt it and make it the hit it is today. and the cincher was the # of titles. i believe if thousands of films were introduced within the next few months, the adoption rate would be faster for HD-DVD or BR.

unfortunately, if we follow history, then it looks like 2009-2010 before HD-DVD or BR will have any traction and we start to see players come into the $100-200 range (if it is successful). we're complicated by the fact that there is a format war, economic strains and competition from other medias for entertainment dollars. thus, instead of 2009-2010, it's more like 2012-2015. that means the format's DEAD!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If you think the studios are going to invest in making a bunch of software available before the hardware market is ready to support all of those titles then obviously you're on a different plane of thinking than some of us. Bringing any new product to the market is done through a ramp up plan that is executed to meet the supply and demand for that particular product.

Crawdaddy

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
isn't that what Sony is planning to do? AFAIK, there will be "no" hardware "available" (that is, no a lot of consumers will be able to afford it in this economy) before software is released.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Holding one's entire library to be all released at once would be both an interesting strategy and a very expensive tuesday for consumers.

If potential buyers were to invest the monies to be spent on a player until the massive release of thousands of titles, the interest derived could easily cover the cost of multiple players.

If one were still alive...

RAH

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
of course not all on 1 day! all us enthusiasts would go broke!

that's why there has to be a sort of marketing strategy involved.

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
Speaking of Legal Wreckin on HD-DVD, does anyone know which version WB will release? I prefer the theatrical cut personally, although if they wanna include both, that's fine by me.

BrandonJF

Second Unit

Yeah, that was their plan. :) That isn't marketing strategy (and I'll believe the software gets launched before the hardware when I see it). That's technical issues. The strategy was to have hardware and software on the shelves at the same time. However, Sony will not have thousands of titles on the shelves by year end, either. Nor would it be smart to do so.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
I too liked the sniper scene. Made Riggs' character much more reckless and on the edge. I think the his suicde comtemplation was longer and a bit more tense too IIRC. I just hope we don't get another 1080i transfer.

:) d

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I really hope Lethal Weapon 4 comes to HD DVD soon, as that should look pretty darn good in HD.

Especially the scenes of them running through Chinatown and the double team with Jet Li on the docks

Frank@N

Screenwriter
I'm surprised they didn't use the DC transfer, because I thought it was the newest one.

Mostly, think I bought the DC DVD for the cool foil snapper, less compression, DTS, and the sniper scene.

I had LW4, but I wanted to sell it without losing the sniper scene.

I would have preferred the DC package be carried over in HD, too bad.

Seems like studios (mostly Sony) are making it easy to stick with DVD by putting out weak transfers and no extras.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
A little patience please!
If WB released all four LW's now, LW would make up more than 10% of the entire HD DVD catalog!!! :-0
What kind of sense does that make???

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks