What's new

Lethal Weapon 5 (1 Viewer)

WillG

Senior HTF Member

One of the problems is that in the last decade or so (probably Columbine, was one of the big catalysts) there's been a lot more crackdown with theaters enforcing the "R" rating. When I was in like the 12 - 14 year range back in the late 80's, early 90's. It could be ridiculously easy to get into R rated films.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member

Mel Gibson to Direct Lethal Weapon 5

Richard Donner had been developing the movie before his death, and had apparently asked Gibson to direct if he didn't live long enough to make the movie.

It's probably a win-win; Warner Bros. locks in its two leads and a critically acclaimed and dependable director. And Gibson gets to work with a major studio again, when he would otherwise be radioactive after his numerous and very public scandals.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I was expecting this fifth film to just not happen when Donner passed, but if it was his blessing in life to have Gibson direct then I’m all for it!

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Hmmmm- Gibson is in his mid 60s and Glover is in his mid 70s. I don’t see this being any good because of their ages.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Hmmmm- Gibson is in his mid 60s and Glover is in his mid 70s. I don’t see this being any good because of their ages.
I’m pretty sure some younger actors will be in the cast too. Perhaps Russo and Gibson’s kid is a policeman and one of Glover’s kids is a detective now. The old men are around to bail out their kids from trouble.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I’m pretty sure some younger actors will be in the cast too. Perhaps Russo and Gibson’s kid is a policeman and one of Glover’s kids is a detective now. The old men are around to bail out their kids from trouble.
If they use the same actors/actresses that played Martaugh's kids the oldest son would be the right age to play a cop following in his dad's footsteps another great angle would be to have Grigg's kid(s) involved with Martaugh's kids. Wonder if Pesci and Rock and Darlene Love would come back?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Do we know who is writing this yet?

Also what happened to @John Kilduff . I miss seeing Sincerely John Kilduff after all his posts.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Do we know who is writing this yet?
Richard Donner was developing the script with Richard Wenk, who wrote the screenplays for the Equalizer movies with Denzel Washington. No idea if Gibson will bring in someone new now that he's taking over.

I'd love for Shane Black to do a polish, since this is likely to be the last movie in the franchise centered around Glover and Gibson. But given his issues with how Riggs was portrayed in the sequels.

Alex...

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex Czaplicki

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
Cool! It seemed that it was being put on the back burner earlier this year. I feel the clock is ticking for Gibson and Glover to feasibly doing this, hopefully nothing else delays it.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Could be good, could be bad. Lethal Weapons 2-4 were all somewhat topical (apartheid, gang violence, human trafficking), so it will be interesting to see if/how they deal with the headline-grabbing issues of police reform in the new movie. Maybe Lethal Weapon 5 could see the family of Mr. Joshua (Gary Busey's character from the original) suing the LAPD for allowing Riggs to beat him to a pulp and then shoot him to death on Murtaugh's front lawn while a group of officers stood around and cheered.

Last edited:

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Maybe it will be a prequel and they'll use that de-aging technology that's all the rage now to show Riggs and Murtaugh's Vietnam experiences.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks