"Let It Be" Reissue

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Tim Gerdes, Apr 3, 2002.

1. Tim Gerdes

Tim Gerdes Second Unit

Great news for Beatles fans. In an article for USA Today, discussing his new tour, Paul McCartney made brief mention of a "Let It Be" reissue.

2. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Supporting Actor

3. Aaron Garman

Aaron Garman Second Unit

Hello all. This is excellent news for Beatle fans. My dream would to have all the 13 Beatle albums on DTS CD or another high resolution audio format (i don't have SACD or DVD-A yet...). I'm also very curious to see the film itself. From the bits they have on Anthology (thank you Laserdisc) it looks like tons of fun. Let's see Let it Be everyone!!

AJ Garman

"All you need is love." John Winston Lennon

4. Michael St. Clair

I have the original 'Get Back' mix, but would love a cleaner version.

I'd also love the original mono versions of the albums up through the White Album, since those are the mixes that the most effort went to.

5. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

Great news. This is one of the most sought after films for DVD or video release, as it has been off the market for over 20 years. The video store I use to manage had a Magnetic Video VHS of this film and people would come from all over to rent it.
    Boy, I'm so behind in my Beatles DVDs as I only own Yellow Submarine. Help is off the market. A Hard Day's Night has never reappeared and I'm still hoping that someone will release the Beatles Anthology.
    I need my Beatles fix!

6. Kurt N

Kurt N Stunt Coordinator

I hope you were being sarcastic in calling Let It Be "tons of fun." I assure you, for Beatles fans, it was far from fun. It's an important film for lots of reasons, but watching Paul & George argue is not fun.
    What's amazing about LIB is that such amazing music came out of these sessions--and even more amazing is that Abbey Road followed.
    Still, I'd snarf it on disc (DVD and CD) immediately.

7. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Lets hope if the film, Let It Be is released, it's the proper 1.33:1 open matte version. The matted version is claustrophobic and even worse, is cropped on all four sides in the old video.

8. Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck Screenwriter

This is news to me. I had been told by trustworthy people that one of the then remaining Beatles was dead set against making the film available.

Now that we have lost George, suddenly it becomes a viable issue. Coincidence? Has the holdout been posthumously "outed" ? Am I to believe that Paul, the self-proclaimed "big brother" of the dearly departed George, is superceding his little brother's wishes and making this available again? Because I'm torn: on the one hand, yes, I'd love to have LET IT BE in my home again. But then, it does seem borderline sacrilegious that this would be coming on the heels of such a tragic loss for all us Beatle fans.

I just hope MGM, Apple, Michael Lindsay-Hogg, and company do this title right so that we don't get more intra-Beatle sniping.

9. Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter Screenwriter

10. Paul D G

Paul D G Screenwriter

In the latest issue of Beatlefan (rec'd just today) we have the following in the Devils Radio section:
    "Unofficial word out of Abbey Road Studios is that work on remixing "The Beatles Anthology" into 5.1 Surround Sound was finished right before George (Harrison) died, and it's on its way on DVD with extra material. And out of Apple comes the leak that they're revisiting the "Let It Be" project with a DVD in mind that would include extra fimed interviews, including one with Neil Aspinall sans hat..."
    Take it as you will. [​IMG]
    -paul

11. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

12. Enrique B Chamorro

Enrique B Chamorro Supporting Actor

When they did the tribute at the Oscars of people who

passed away during the year, the clips for George had

some clips from "Let It Be".I don't think they are the

same clips on the laser disc Anthology?

When will we see the following laser discs;

The Compleat Beatles,119 min,(Remasted Digital Sound),MGM

Ready Steady Go! The Beatles Live,20 min,Pioneer

(12 video songs from the Ready Steady Go! British Show)

13. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

Holding back Let it Be is a travesty. Even if George didn't want it released, I think it should be. It is OURS as much as it is THEIRS. Moreso possibly.

I see a Magical Mystery Tour DVD floating about sometimes. whats up with that? OOP?

14. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart

15. Jo_C

Jo_C Second Unit

Actually, Miramax owns only "A Hard Days Night". Apple remains in control of "Help" and "Let It Be" ("Yellow Submarine" has always been owned by United Artists...it was the music clearance with Apple that held up a video re-release for so long).

16. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    Apparently, there do not seem to be any early generation materials available for restoring/remastering Magical Mystery Tour into a decent quality film or video presentation. I'm not sure how these materials were lost or destroyed, but anyone who has seen the film could guess that the filmmakers would have some "short term memory issues" that could have led to it. [​IMG]
    Regards,

17. Grant B

Grant B Producer

MMT was a cheapo made for TV film shown on the BBC and ABC (I believe in B&W the 1st time shown)

Don't know how much they can clean it up

Only film evidence of the Bonzo Dog Do Dah Band as far as I know

18. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Screenwriter

19. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Supporting Actor

When the MMT laserdisc 1st came out, it featured a brand new remix by Goerge Martin for Dolby Pro Logic. It included new space sounds mixed into the rear channel during the wizards segments and NEW SURROUND MIXES of the music tracks, including the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band track (Death Cab For Cutie) in separated surround. For instance, the song Magical Mystery Tour had a louder drum sound during the "it's an invitation" part, and bus sounds that went in a circle front to back. The remixing was commented very favorably upon by Martin & other Beatles during contemporary press mentions on the release. It sounded great. When the DVD came out, however, this new remix was GONE, replaced by a horrible STEREO mix which just used the Stereo tracks from the MMT record, with the rest of the soundtrack in MONO, including the Bonzos track (now with NO separation whatever). The problem is that the PICTURE on the DVD absolutely blows away the laserdisc picture (if you people think the DVD looks bad, you should see ANY other prior release of it, or should have seen the film versions we had to suffer through at Beatlefests in the 70s & 80s). so we now have a situation where the best sound is on the laser, but the best picture is on the DVD. since both the laser & DVD were on MPI, what the hell happened to the surround remix??? Did they just FORGET that they had it or what?

20. John Tillman

John Tillman Supporting Actor

I recently picked up a used MMT Laser and agree with Larry that the video is really 'out there', while the audio is good.

Don't think I want to be 12 or 13 again, but this kind of material certainly takes me back.