What's new

Leone's The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly 2-disc SE, May 18, 2004 (MERGED THREAD) (1 Viewer)

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
I found more info on this release, thanks to John Hodson

http://www.dvdsavant.com/s745GBU.html

This is the original article and DVDSavant have added the following

NOTE, 1.27.04: The MGM DVD Special edition will be released on May 18, 2004 ... In addition to the remixed English 5.1 audio track, it will have the original Sergio Leone supervised and approved original Italian audio track.
very good news indeed

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
here is more news regarding the special features

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=6547

Extended 3-Hour Version
2.35:1 Anamorphic Widescreen
Digitally Remastered With English 5.1 Audio
Italian Mono
English, French, Spanish, Cantonese and Mandarin subtitles
Audio Commentary by Film Historian Richard Schickel
“Leone’s West” - Retrospective making-of documentary featuring new interviews with cast and crew, including Clint Eastwood, and behind-the-scenes footage
“The Leone Style” - Documentary on Sergio Leone and his impact on the spaghetti western film genre
“The Man Who Lost the Civil War” - Historical documentary on the Civil War
“Reconstructing The Good, the Bad and the Ugly” - Featurette which focuses on the process of reconstruction and talent audio re-recordings for the fully restored version of the film
“Il Maestro: Ennio Morricone and The Good, the Bad and the Ugly” - Featurette on Composer Ennio Morricone featuring behind-the-scenes photos
Extended Scene - A never-before-seen extended version of the "Tuco Torture" scene
"The Socorro Sequence: A Reconstruction" - Three-minute animated sequence of a deleted scene
French trailer - Includes film clips that were deleted from the final version of the film
Poster Gallery - Features eight international theatrical posters
Original theatrical trailer - Two-minute trailer as shown in theaters
4 Easter Eggs:
"Uno, Due, Tre"
"Italian Lunch"
"New York Actor"
"Gun In Holster"

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
R1 for me, I want the Italian track, the packaging appears superior and I'm not sure the R2 will have the booklet.

---
So many films, so little time...

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm rubbish at games :D High score - 6! Can't wait for this though..come on MGM, get on with SEs of A Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More and A Fistful of Dynamite.

---
So many films, so little time...

Shane_Anthony

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe it's me but I wish they'd have gotten someone else to do the commentary as I find Schsiskel a real bore!

His commentary for Unforgiven was so dull I couldn't even make it through the end :thumbsdown:

Great film though!!

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
From bits of the commentary I've listened to Richard Schickel seems to know his subject although he did make a mistake at the very start of the film, referring to Lee Van Cleef's character as 'the ugly', and this just a few minutes after Eli Wallach smashes thru a window with the words 'the ugly' popping up too.:D

The transfer is great, not as perfect as OUATITW, but probably the best this film has been since it's 1966 release. The 5.1 stereo sound is good, explosions and gunfire are heard everywhere. The extra scenes don't detract, dubbing is okay not perfect.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
Is there anyone besides me who would have liked this release to be seamlessly branched? I've seen the extra scenes, and there's nothing wrong with them (and I think one of them should probably have been left in for clarity's sake), but honestly I find the 2hr 40 min cut to be nearly perfect. Would it have really been so hard to include some branching code to make the disc do this?

-Lyle J.P.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"Is there anyone besides me who would have liked this release to be seamlessly branched?"

YES!

I dont like the idea of having 18 minutes added and then dubbed 30 years later.

I would have the original cut with the extra footage via seamless branching.

I also dont like what I read abotu them using new gunfire effects:frowning:

Devin_C

Stunt Coordinator
Not necessarily the best spot for this, but I have preordered so I'll ask anyways and pretend it is. :p)

Does anyone know if they'll reissue the soundtrack as well? I've been trying to track it down, but the 1989(?) CD release seems to be hard to come across (at least in my neck of the woods).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks