What's new

Leonard Maltin 4 stars for recent movies (1 Viewer)

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
Thus, if you give THE RUNDOWN more stars than THE GODFATHER 2, back your reasons up for why you think its a better film.
So when Ebert writes a movie review he needs to explain why that movie is better than all the other movies he's ever reviewed that got lower ratings? He'd never finish a single review. His Rundown review explains why he likes it and his Godfather II review explains why he didn't like it, I don't know what you're asking for here.

CameronS

Supporting Actor
Since there is not exact science when it comes to movie reviewing, it gets controversial sometimes since everyone has their own opinion. I also think that the "thumb up/down" may be more effective because it forces you to read the review instead of putting so much emphasis on the star or numerical rating.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
If Pauline Kael's caustic comments hurt David Lean so much that he didn't make a movie for 14 years, then Lean should have grown a bigger pair. And I love the man's films to death.
That is true, but nonetheless she was extraordinarily harsh towards him, so much she continued bashing him face to face at a meeting of film critics.

Like in sports, we always like to criticize things we have no ability to create ourselves. I guess it's more irritating with film critics because they don't offer you the alternatives. At least sports announcers (eg. John Madden) will espouse on what should be done.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Back when Maltin was on Prodigy and interacted with people (before the internet took off), I argued the merits of Blade Runner with him, but he explained that a film should not depend on an audience reading the subtext (in this case, the question of humanity and feelings).

It's a fair point, though I disagree with it.

I'm sure if there had been a musical number thrown in he would have found it fabtabulous.

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
I am interested on what the opinion is of Maltin resisting the imposition of an agenda on his reviews. Is he middle of the road? Is he from one extreme of the political spectrum, but avoids allowing that to influence his review? Does he understand what the writer and director are trying to do?

Ebert and Medved are from two polar extremes of the political spectrum and you can easily see their leanings in their reviews.

Most of the time you can filter out that stuff, but Ebert is troubling when he appears not to know or understand what the writer and director are trying to convey. He may have valid reasons for being in disagreement, but to not understand makes me doubt the value of his review.

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
Rex Reed's Ten Worst Films of 2001
1. Vanilla Sky
2. Mulholland Drive
3. Town & Country
4. Moulin Rouge!
5. Shallow Hal
6. Swordfish
7. Pearl Harbor
8. Memento
9. The Mexican
10. Snatch
Wow...that's a pretty interesting "worst of" list. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I still think I'd like just a little bit of what Rex Reed has been smoking.

VANILLA SKY
Okay, so this isn't Cameron Crowe's most universally adored film. Worst film of the year, though? Hardly.

MULHOLLAND DRIVE
Don't even get me started with this choice. The "Llorando (Crying)" number alone should propel this movie off of anyone's "worst of" list, although I'm probably a little biased since it's near the top of my "best of" list for that year.

TOWN & COUNTRY
Didn't see it because I heard it sucked. Okay.

MOULIN ROUGE
Sure, Baz Luhrmann might be considered an acquired taste, and there are sections of this film that make me want to throw my shoe at the TV set, such as Nicole Kidman's endless moaning and groaning that immediately precedes "Your Song". Still, this doesn't belong anywhere on this list.

SHALLOW HAL
Mediocre Farrelly brothers movie. Whatever.

SWORDFISH
Not a great movie, but the opening sequence and Halle Berry's, um, "acting", dictate that the film not belong here.

PEARL HARBOR
Okay. This one can stay. ;)

MEMENTO
What the heck is this doing here? I'm sensing a pattern here. I think Rex Reed has a problem with films that are the slightest bit intellectually challenging. Vanilla Sky, Mulholland Drive, Memento. Hmmm...interesting.

THE MEXICAN
The movie doesn't really gel for me, but James Gandolfini gives a great performance.

SNATCH
Didn't see it. Can't comment.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks