What's new

Lenticular Screen Replacement (1 Viewer)

Tim Jin

Supporting Actor
Hi,

Over the weekend, the vacuum handle accidentally scratched my screen. Ironically, I had the anti glare screen remove with a full ISF calibration days before .

If I were going to replace the lenticular as a do it yourself project, what should I be aware about before attempting?

I hear that the screen consist on two layers and more. Lenticular and fresnel?

The scratches are not bad and you can’t really tell when the set is on, but I would like to get it fix, since I had it calibrated recently.

Are there any tools that I would need, other than a screwdriver to dissemble the front of the TV and blankets to lay the screen down.

Once I get the screen off, do you think that it will take little or no force to separate the layers?

If anyone has any advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

It’s a Panasonic 47”.

Thanks,
Tim

Elliott Willschick

Second Unit
I had a similar problem and I replaced it myself. Your best bet is to go the panasonic website and find out where the closest parts distributor is. If you want the part number then just search here You can order from them as well.

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor
It's very easy. Takes about 30 minutes if you go very slowly. Just be careful about getting dust and detrius between the screens.

Elliott Willschick

Second Unit
Yes, you must take your time and think the process through first. You should have a clean sheet to put them on and use gloves. Don't mess up the way they go in. There may be a sticker or type of marking that shows the way they should be lined up. If you misalign them you will not have a proper picture.

matt-f

Second Unit
I also wanted to add. Make sure the room is clean because these are normally these should be done is specialized "clean rooms" to avoid dust getting in the TV while the screen is being replaced.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
hi guys!!

As Tim can attest to this screen is not that easy to remove.

First, the new Panasonic TVs have auto convergence sensors, that are similar to the Toshibas.

Second, the frame for the screen stack is not a flat surface. It has at least a 1 inch curve to it so you need to support the screen while installing it, otherwise you will get screen sag.

Third, the screen frame as an internal frame that is 1 piece (vs 4 as with other brands). This makes it some what clumbersome to remove / replace.

Tim, I dont think this is something you want "just anybody" to tackle for you.

IMHO,

Gregg

Tim Jin

Supporting Actor
Thanks Gregg,

Yeah, you are right. It took us a while to get the screen remove in the first place.

Most likely, I'm going to end up waiting until it gets too bothersome.

I'm in no rush to replace the screen.

Thanks for the advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks