Leni Riefenstahl dies at 101 (or 100, depending on source).

Discussion in 'Movies' started by SteveGon, Aug 25, 2001.

1. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Sorry to hear she's having problems:

2. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

101 year old Leni Riefenstahl died Monday.

3. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

4. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Morning Edition had a segment on her today. She remained unapologetic for Triumph of Will, calling it a documentary, not propaganda.

Interesting person and filmmaker.

5. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

6. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

The recent release of The Holy Mountain by Kino features Riefenstahl in one of her first starring roles; there's some incredible mountain climbing footage as well.

7. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

This may be morbid, or even in bad taste, but I have to wonder if Riefenstahl's death will be acknowledged at next year's Academy Awards?

8. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Steve, I think that's actually a fair question, and if we are going to be forward and honest about it I would then add that the large Jewish portion of Hollywood might not be so keen on having her mentioned.

Considering her place in film history it makes for a bit of a dilemma.

9. Lew Crippen

Steve and Seth—interesting points. I would think that she is by far the least well known (by the general public) of really significant filmmakers. Plus there is not really much of a connection to the Academy.

I would imagine that her relative obscurity insofar as the general public is concerned will allow the Academy to give it amiss.

10. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

She also claimed there was not a single anti-semitic word in the documentary, and while Jews are not mentioned by name, there are references to racial purity, so I think she's being somewhat dishonest about it.

11. StevenA

StevenA Second Unit

12. andrew markworthy

I know that she made great 'technical' movies and I can understand that some folks can watch them divorced from their ideological background. I can respect that. However, I personally can't bear to watch her work for the Nazis. I have tried watching 'Triumph of the Will' numerous times and just cannot get through it. It sounds melodramatic, but nagging images of people being herded into cattle wagons begin to play in my head. FWIW, I also cannot bear to watch Soviet propaganda movies for the same basic reason. Even Battleship Potemkin sticks in the craw.

Curiously, I can enjoy Riefenstahl's later work as a still photographer. If she was committed to the Nazi ideal, then she made a good job of hiding it in her famous pictures of the African tribespeople.

13. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

Well needless to say Triumph of the Will inspired many cinematographers and filmmakers and I for one respect her work regardless of her what she believed in or seemingly stood for. She was a true pioneer and I don't doubt that come 2005, Episode 3 of Star Wars will once again feature scenes that echo the powerful imagery seen in Triumph just as many films have and will continue to do.

RIP

14. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Honestly, I think it's about time people remember Leni Riefenstahl as a film pioneer rather than "Hitler's girlfriend."

It's sad that some sites are going to ignore Riefenstahl's passing or are going to dwell her work on Triumph of the Will.

Let us hope that more will be a little more intelligent about her life rather than damning her for one film.

15. Lew Crippen

I can understand your view Andrew, but a lot of filmmakers have been quite influenced by Triumph of Will. Everyone knows about the last ceremony in Star Wars—and sports telecasting is still influenced by Olympia.

In the end, I can detach myself enough to watch Triumph of Will, but it is pretty hard to separate the art from the message and how this film was used to convey the party message all over Germany.

16. StevenA

StevenA Second Unit

17. Lew Crippen

18. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

19. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

20. Rob Bartlett

Rob Bartlett Stunt Coordinator

Let's put it this way. There are many talented filmakers today who are heavily criticized for "selling out". I myself can't think of anything more indicative of selling out then what Leni Riefenstahl did.