What's new

Legends of Tomorrow (The CW) (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I thought the payoff for the cliffhanger was satisfying. Having a third of your team live two whole years trapped in the past is the kind of thing only a show like this could pull off -- not only a time travel show, but a short-run show with one standing set and none of the usual investment in maintaining a status quo.

The Ray/Kendra romance still does nothing for me. I really don't think the show needs a romantic subplot between any of the characters to succeed, and I don't think Brandon Routh and Ciara Renée have much chemistry together. But their two years together in Hub City (The Question's hometown in the comics, I believe, and sort of the Detroit/rust belt analogue of the DC cities) allowed us to skip all of the puppy dog love and gave them somewhat of an interesting backstory.

Meanwhile, Sara's storyline -- in addition to making excellent use of the terrific "Arrow" Season 3 Nanda Parbat set -- answered a question that's bugged me for a while now: Why would the fearsome League of Assassins welcome a lost suburbanite barely out of her teens into their ranks an invest the time to train her into a terrifying assassin? Whatever the original reason was, now her storyline is something of a Terminator-esque loop, with her impressing Ra's al Ghul only because he'd already trained her as a favor to her because she'd impressed him.

Possibly even more interesting was the appearance of Talia Al-Ghul, who was conspiciously never mentioned on "Arrow". There is a big question mark surrounding her fate which is an uncommon thing for a storyline set more than half a century in the past.

I wasn't surprised by the identity under the armor and glad to get Mick back, but everything else about the episode was enjoyably entertaining.
The only thing that threw me off about the reveal was the repeated axiom that they cannot interfere with events that they've already tampered with. Chronos's early attacks on the team when Rory was still a part of it seem like a second bite at the apple.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I enjoyed the latest one. I thought Kendra's about-face when she saw the ship to be too abrupt, and it didn't really seem plausible until the end. I really cringed, however, when we were about to see yet another character lose a limb. Oh, sure, it's the first on this show, but we've seen the same device used lately on Agents of Shield, Gotham, Arrow, Game of Thrones, etc. etc. (The cast of Flash oughta keep their hands in their pockets.) Thank goodness for sci-fi deus ex machinas like the limb regenerator.

But with every episode, the cast gets better. I'm enjoying the lightness of this show, and zipping from time to time. The show is a pleasure to watch, and that can't be said about many other similar genre shows.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
As soon as Chronos took just Snart away, all of us must have soon realized who he must be.

So far this whole season appears to have been Rip Hunter's mistakes catching up with him.
He actually created Chronos by doing this. He pointed Savage at his wife and child by telling him about them earlier in Savage's timeline.

Practically everything they have been doing seems to be part of the established timeline once they are done. It will be interesting to see if that changes in the remaining episodes.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
LoT is one of my business-travel shows so I got caught up two weeks ago; then watched this week's more promptly of the cliffhanger. I started cool on the series. But the last two or three episodes strengthened the story and deepened the characters. The plot twist of Mic being the Time Cop was very fun: the previous episode it registered that economy of characters suggests that Mic, now off screen, unaccounted for, and bearing a grudge, would be a perfect twist for the man behind the mask. So the reveal on this episode was delightful.

I've not understand Sarah, having not watched The Arrow. I didn't understand the Raz a Ghoul (sorry, no idea how that's spelled :) ) business -- only know him from the first Nolan / Bale Batman movie. But I'm getting to like her character. I'm getting to understand how she's very wounded and that motivates her in ways human but extreme.

I was disappointed that they regenerated Snart's hand. I understand it. I grew up on ST:TNG so I should have expected the reset button on that one. But for a moment, I thought LoT was blowing up the show: MIck is bad, Rory loses a hand, and Kendra and Ray went from near-lovers to emotionally broken. They're not. It's ok. Still a fun show with brain- and story-breaking time travel.

My criticism, or maybe just observation, is LoT is struggling with its identify. The show is styled as a fun DC superhero show, like The Flash. Fun with a dash of seriousness and violence to keep it engaging. But it wants to be dark like The 100. And in this tension, the emotional power of it storylines are not fulfilled. With Mick / Cold, LoT began pursuing the arc that he really is an egocentric, stone-cold killer, leading to the current situation. But as a comic-book villain starting at The Flash, he was never really portrayed as that bad, not really the psychopath LoT wants him to be. Not as deeply dangerous and actually frightening a character as I find on The 100 (or Daredevil, etc.). So the emotional impact was lacking. Snart's decision to abandon him, and Mick's becoming the timecop I see as good storylines. I like them. But they're not as viscerally satisfying, as I think they'd be if LoT had gone the route of The 100 or Daredevil, set the stakes high, and really portrayed Mick as a ruthless killer barely under Snart's control. But that would be a very different show, and might not be as fun and casually enjoyable. So, I don't know. But I feel that LoT is trapped between contradictory desires of what it should be.

Last edited:

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I tend to agree with you, Dave. LoT wants to be everything. It wants to be edgy and dark like parts of Arrow or Daredevil, but it doesn't have the courage of its convictions. The hand, for instance. I think someone else pointed this out, but it's becoming a cliche in these shows. Someone on Gotham lost a hand. Malcolm on Arrow lost a hand. Snart lost his...only to be regenerated. Enough with the hands, guys!

If we really wanted to be daring, the two years Ray, Kendra and Sarah spent in 1958 should have stretched over episodes showing the first two coming to grips with their new reality. Have the rest of the team go on some adventures without them before retrieving their teammates. This episode was a huge reset button for all the characters. I still enjoy the show, but they're lacking a clear tone right now.

We know the tone for all the other shows and I thought this one had been nailed down, too.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Fun action-filled episode. Glad Mick and Snart settled their differences. The Hitler-like kid was very disturbing.

Funny line: "We don't need weapons. We're superheroes!"

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Another good episode. It's fascinating to watch Rip Hunter not just fail, but make the timeline and strengthen Savage, with every failed effort.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Another good episode. It's fascinating to watch Rip Hunter not just fail, but make the timeline and strengthen Savage, with every failed effort.
It is following the "things get worse" formula before presumably pulling it out in the end. So, now they are going to "hide" in the past somehow and worry about Per Degaton later?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
They've mentioned The Vanishing Point several times now, so I'm waiting for that to become a plot device. Perhaps even the next visit as they flee the time enforcers.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I guess it was a fun episode, but weren't they constantly upsetting the timeline? With, like, everything they did? Seems like they just wanted an excuse for a western episode.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Yes, tons of fun with this episode, but I'm curious about the relationship between Rip and the scarred man. That's a story yet to be told. I'm so bored with the Ray/Hawkgirl romance.

ponset

Screenwriter
Real Name
scott
I was pleased to hear Ray called himself "JOHN WAYNE". :banana:

Someone named drop "Hannibal Hawkes". In DC COMICS he is better known as "NIGHTHAWK".
Another western character.
In Geoff Johns "HAWKMAN" series he establishes that Nighthawk and Cinnamom are past lives of
Hawkman and Hawkgirl.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
A fun western episode which showed us again that what they are doing in the past is part of established history. Saving (or interacting with) HG Wells is one of the time travel cliches and we got it here.

Now they have to stop this time lady from erasing them from the timeline. I really can't see that the Time Masters think this is going to cause less damage than what they are doing. The Time Masters are their own worst enemy,

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
This was a fun episode that really took advantage of of the opportunities the show's format affords.

Now they have to stop this time lady from erasing them from the timeline. I really can't see that the Time Masters think this is going to cause less damage than what they are doing. The Time Masters are their own worst enemy,
It's like they made a bad call and just keep doubling down rather than admit they made a mistake. I'm waiting for a reveal that they're controlled by Vandal Savage.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Per Degaton is from the comics, 1st Appearance ALL-STAR COMICS #35 by John Broome and Irwin Hasen.
Degaton also appeared on BATMAN: THE BRAVE & THE BOLD "Golden Age of Justice". He battles
Batman, Black Canary, and the Justice Society.

http://comicvine.gamespot.com/per-degaton/4005-4922/

He is a major foe of the JSA, as is Vandal Savage. That with the JSA teasers makes me think we will definitely see him again, battling the JSA and LoT.

ponset

Screenwriter
Real Name
scott
I thought the current episode would have been better if it mainly focus on Rip and Mick.
Those two backstories were nicely done.
I could care less about the other crew members gathering up their younger selves. Seem like a waste of time.
And the Ray and Kendra scenes are painfull to watch. :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks