What's new

Legally Blind? (1 Viewer)

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
What is "legally blind"? Is there such a definition? Is there a federal definition or do states define there own?

I have worn glasses since I was 7. I have a pretty hefty correction (extremely nearsighted with astigmatism and red/green color blindness thrown in) and would be in a very bad way if my glasses were knocked from my face at an inopportune moment, which has happened. If, say, someone would move my glasses just a small distance after I fell asleep, there is no way I could find them except by chance. Occasionally I have let someone look thru my glasses and the reaction is always the same: the person immediately removes them (some say they had an instant headache) and comments that I must be legally blind.

Well, I'm not, so far as I know. I'm nowhere near the cane or seeing eye dog stage. My vision is not blocked in any manner. I get along just fine although I know I don't see quite as well as those with more average eyes. I'd just like to know where I am on the legally blind scale, if there is such a thing.

So - I guess I'd like an anwser to my opening questions.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
In the UK you can also be classified as visually impaired if you have other specific but potentially debilitating visual conditions (restricted field of sight, night blindness, etc). You are then generally entitled to major discounts on public transport, etc.

However, it's a myth that in order to be blind you can't see a thing (in the same way, most 'deaf' people in fact have some hearing).

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
Well, according to the definition in Leila's link, I'm not even close - I can easily read the larger letters on a standard eye chart from 20 feet away with my glasses on - that's good. Now I know what to tell people - thanks.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I remember my doctor telling me (when I first got glasses as a child) that I was "legally blind", but I'm not THAT bad. I can see great with my glasses (and to some extent without) and they aren't THAT thick.

I guess he was just throwing out terms.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks