What's new

Leave your comment about Bose car audio here (1 Viewer)

JasonALL

Auditioning
That's ok. But I happen to like mine. It's also hard to lump them all together into one category though. My wife's trailblazer has a totally different sound since that Bose package does not have a subwoofer. I happen to like the one in my truck better than hers, since the truck has the tweeters mounted up at the windshield in the columns, instead of in the door, as well as having the subwoofer. I do not doubt that it's not as nice as many aftermarket products, but since it's not an after market product, it's 10 times better in my opinion than the step below it. I also am not paying for an $80k luxury car either. If that was the case I'd probably just hook my jbl studio series directly in the car ;) (j/k)

DonnyD

Screenwriter
I have an interesting Bose story to tell.........

I've been into car audio since 1977 when I first "discovered" Fosgate amps......it simply blew us away and ushered in a new hobby of making our cars and trucks our own personal concert stage......

In 1982, I was with a company that supplied chemicals to GM and I personally serviced various assembly locations in the East. I was in Linden, NJ one week at the Cadillac plant.... a friend and I went down the line looking for a car with a Bose sytem in it.... found one.....got in and turned it on....... sounded pretty good..... (remember it was 82)..... noticed a group of people walking our way so we nonchalantly got out of the car and walked around it in an admiring sort of way...... the group came right up to this particular car.....a turquoise Barritz...... stood there a minute and this small guy (central character in the group) with freckles and reddish hair spoke...."now that's one ugly car... but that's what she wanted"..... this guy happened to be Roger Smith, CEO of GM, and this Barritz was his WIFE"S car !!!! and we had been jamming in it !!!
Anyway, in 1982, it was a fairly good system and much sought after .... But I'd have to say that Bose hasn't gotten much better over these years....

Ralph Summa

Supporting Actor
I have a Bose system in my '97 Infiniti I-30.

The bass is muddy and the highs make me think of AM radio.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I went out of my way to NOT get the Bose "upgrade" in my 200 A4 2.8. My base stereo sounds BETTER than the Bose "upgrade" does.

MikeSkee

Auditioning
The Bose system that came in my 97 Acura CL actually sounded better than any other car system I had owned, but it still leaves something to be desired (and definitely hasn't kept up with other stock stereos I've heard). The speakers themselves handle decent volume and a fair amount of bass, but they don't seem to have kind of appreciable lifespan to them - they're basically on their way out now.

In my car, at least, I believe that the factory "Bose" HU is just a pioneer or something similar with a Bose logo slapped on the front. Definitely made in Japan.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Bose doesn't make any head unit in any car audio application.

If it's a foreign vehicle the head units are outsourced to
numerous companies. If it's a GM they are Delco units.

The only "Bose" items in the vehicle are the integrated
amplifiers (usually on the back of the speaker) and the
actual speaker driver it's self.

Ralph Summa

Supporting Actor
I posted in this thread at 11:38 am yesterday. On the way home from work the CD player died in the middle of a song.

I should have kept my big mouth shut! :angry:

Mike^C

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
Philip, agreed here. Try the hidden EQ feature in our cars too. Helps alot to push the bass towards the back where the drivers are bigger.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
I've got Bose in my 2000 Grand Prix GTP. Think it sounds better & louder than stock speakers. But like all Bose products, if it cost 1/6 the price.

When I had my Fluance AV-HTB hooked up, I kept hearing this crackling noise. Couldn't figure out what was the problem. Turned out to be microphone crackle from the source (the recording). Never heard it once, ever, in my GTP. Heard it right away on the Fluances. Now I can hear it now that I know to listen for it, but it's very hard to determine.

I would like to hear how you can minimize the suckiness of the Bose system. I have the treble/bass cranked all the way down to minimize the artificially boosted bass/treble that Bose uses to sound good. Is there a sweet-spot setting to minimize the inaccuracies of the Bose setup? I have the sound cranked a bit back to the rear to balance the sound (so it sounds like it's coming from all directions).

I'd yank out the Bose and replace, but I would loose the integrated FM/CD track info that runs into my heads up display (the best car invention since anti-lock brakes !! :D). There is no adapter. Plus, I'm poor, and my money is going towards in-home audio/video these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks