What's new

Leave your comment about Bose car audio here (1 Viewer)

ChristopherBer

Stunt Coordinator
http://www2.autospies.com/article/in...3&categoryId=1

From Autospies.com

Is it just us or are the BOSE systems installed from the factory in most high end cars (Mercedes, Infiniti etc), THE most overrated systems EVER!

Every time we listen to one of these systems the sound is muddy and one-dimensional.

Also, is it so hard to add a mid-range adjustment control?

Why don’t they ever have one?

Does it drive you crazy to be driving in a car you spend over 100 GRAND on and feel the stereo should be re-installed on a Scion?

We’d like to hear from you if you think we’re off our rocker’s and need a good hearing exam or if BOSE has pulled the wool over every car buyer’s eyes over the past ten years.

Email us your opinion to [email protected]

We will post the responses next week.

I'd like to see some of you comment. :D

Erik.Ha

Supporting Actor
Mercedes Benz with Bose here...

SUCKS

To be more specific...

Speakers : SUCK
Amp: SUCKS
CD Changer : Sucks (had to replace it after it broke)
Head Unit: Leaves a lot to be desired

Mike Carter

Agent
I have a Cadillac Escalade and HATE the Bose crap system in it. My wife drive a new BMW 745i and the Harman/Lexicon system that comes in it is awesome! The BMW has subs under each front seat that are very tight but also act like tactile transducers! The overall sound in here BMW is very real and sweet like a high end home audio system.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
I have the Bose in my new Yukon. It is a "good" sounding system. Not the best but for a stock item I am say 90% happy with it and will make it work. The best stock system I have ever heard was the Infinity system in my wifes old 97 Ply. mini van. I remember paying a fortune at the time for this upgrade but it has always stuck out from the rest. I am one of those guys that love my music but hate having aftermarket stuff put in my new car. I know much improvement could be done but for me right now the Bose does a decent job. BTW the only other bose think I own are their new noise cancelling headphones. I travel alot and have tried just about every headset out there. Again others sounded better but no compairson for the noise cancelling which is what I wanted plus comfort... I would also give them a 90% and would not think of using them at home for phones but on the airplane they can't be beat.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Had a Bose system in a '99 Acura TL and found it to be decent enough. When car shopping, I compared it using the same CD with the top-line Infinity system in the Chrysler 300M and the Acura system sounded a fair bit nicer. The Acura had a much wider soundstage and I found the Infinity system very compressed-sounding in comparison.

I'm fully aware of Bose's 'psychoacoustics' mumbo-jumbo, so I wasn't just being fooled by an exaggerated mid-range either.

This is my only experience with Bose car systems though.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
The problem is in most new vehicles if you want all the upgrades they all include the sound system which in most cases is the Bose and so you dont have alot of options unless you want to rip the bose out and put in an aftermarket head/amp/speakers and sub. Which would be nice but after spending 45-50K on a new car who wants to do that. I'd love to but I only keep a car for 3-4 years so it would not be to cost effective. There is no doubt it would sound better but the question is how much better for the extra $$..... Everything has its trade offs in this life.

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
Well my '01 Acura CL came with a Bose system standard. It is actually not a bad system. The CL's is even better that the TLs because it has tweeters mounted by the side mirrors. While it is not the best system I have ever heard, it is decent for a factory system. Although I would not begin to call it high end or the best.

Marcel S

Auditioning
The Bose system on the 2004 Cadillac Escalade is very impressive. It is not the absolute cleaning I've ever heard, but I get impressed every time I turn up the volume.

Randy Schwandt

Auditioning
Have the Bose here in my 99 Acura TL. Decent sound. It came with my car so I don't feel cheated (like I would if I bought a HT package from them)

Overall I am happy with my factory stereo. I don't get in my car only to listen to music, I get in it to go places! ;)

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
My 85' Yugo had a Bose system. It was a pretty mean ride. I had it sitting on 17's. Chrome rims, all decked out.....LOL. Actualy I never heard a Bose car stereo. I just whish I had some of the cars you all have!! Screw the stereo. For the money those cars cost I would yank whatever stereo it came with....other than that mac/lexicon.....and put a nice stereo to match the nice car!!

JasonALL

Auditioning
I am uncertain why there is all the unecessary flaming about bose car audio. It is one thing to have a legitimate complaint about it, but to just say "it sucks" has no value whatsoever. I happen to like the Bose audio system in my 2003 Silverado. It is 10 times better than the stock cd player radio system. Many people who ride in my truck are impressed and comment at how much they like it. I am certainly not ashamed to say I like the sound system in my truck in such a forum of bose-aphobiacs.

MannyE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Manny Elgarresta
JasonALL you must repent! Heal thyself of this blasphemous lie!

But seriously.... I have the Bose system in my 2003 Acura MDX and ....if I may put it in a more delicate way than the others....It doesn't suck.

IT BLOWS!

The worst sounding system I have ever heard.(at least when you look at the sticker price of the MDX) The A/C Delco P.O.S. stereo in my 95 Impala SS (the fast color) sounded head and shoulders above the Bose system in the MDX.

Go to the MDX forum and read all about how people with no audio hobby affiliation (aka...don't know they should bash Bose at every turn) all rip the system out of the MDX in favor of "real"speakers.

Prateek

Auditioning
The Bose system in our Mercedes SLK 320 is complete crap. Boomy, muddy bass and no midrange. There is unfortunately no alternative in the Mercedes lineup. The HK system in our Range Rover is a decent setup.

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
Let me put this simply.

99.9% of ALL factory car audio systems suck!

Bose systems, Delco, Infinity... they are all still paper drivers and in a moist, cold, hot, dry car audio environment that is not good. The only car audio factory system I would keep is in the Lamborgini's... its factory aftermarket /////ALPINE!

Now I do not just say this because I like to bash bose. For 70% of people it is just that, A CAR! Most people couldnt give a rats behind about how their car system sounds. But bose is made of cheap materials, they use 1 or 2 ohm speakers so the distortion is worse, and their amplifiers are usually less power than an aftermarket deck!

You also cannot intergate into a bose system, because they use 1 or 2 ohm speakers, plus they use a mid level output, not a low or a high. Their "upgraded" amplifiers are running maybe 5-15 watts RMS AT 1 OHM! When you replace speakers you are talking anywhere from 1.25 watts rms to 3.75. Thats about the power they test speakers at. 1 watt at 1 meter! :D

I sell aftermarket car audio for a living, so I know what Im talking about. After a good 2 years a bose speakers whole surround disintegrates! But I do agree that a car audio environment is not the best. But when I was in my car and driving, I loved listening to music. I still do. But I would rather put the money into my home system. Maybe when I get a new car I will invest that into it. But anyways....

Thats my $.02. And thats the way the cookie crumbles. :D

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
FWIW I think Alpine blows too :)

Alpine HU's are ok.. But there are other alternatives..
Thier speakers leave much to be desired and for amps there
are much better alternatives also.

Since Jason needs something more than "IT SUCKS" let me put
it like this.. It's boomy, it rattles, it has no HF at all
in fact with an RTA I bet it peaks at 10Khz if that...

It's just plain GARBAGE like ALL Bose products. Don't agree?
That's fine.. But for me Bose is just plain crap in a fancy
wrapper (the name).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks