leave it to beaver

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by jimmyjet, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis Producer

S6 was my favorite season of the series and Frank Bank was one of the reasons.

[​IMG]

Remembering Lumpy with what was also my favorite opening theme of the series for S6... LITB S6 Opening

Gary OS likes this.
  2. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    A good friend emailed me with the news of Mr. Bank's death late last night and this is my first chance to respond to it here. Like Jeff, I found S6 of LITB to be my favorite and there's no doubt that the combination of Lumpy and Eddie were a big part of that enjoyment. I'm very sorry to see yet another of my favorite actors pass away. RIP Lumpy.

Gary "I also like the S6 theme the best, Jeff" O.

Walsh61, Jeff Willis and BobO'Link like this.
  3. jimmyjet

jimmyjet Producer

the flickering is not as bad on the last 2-3 disks of season 1, as opposed to the first ones.

since i think you guys said it was mainly on indoor scenes, it may be that these shows are more outdoors than before ?

4. jimmyjet

jimmyjet Producer

i just watched "wally's new suit". that was especially good.

all these episodes have good little meanings to them.

5. jimmyjet

jimmyjet Producer

i just finished the episode where gilbert is introduced. they used the last name 3-4 times.

i kept hearing "gates". so i thought maybe my memory was faulty. but no - everywhere refers to him as "bates"

either my hearing needs to be checked, or this is a laughable snafu.

6. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0630183/trivia?ref_=tt_trv_trv

7. jimmyjet

jimmyjet Producer

thanks - how in the heck is that big of a snafu go unnoticed ?

8. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

^ If I remember correctly, there's a similar mistake where Fred Rutherford's wife was named Gwendolyn early on and then became Geraldine later on.

I guess you can chalk those kinds of mistakes up to the writers not remembering over the years and not being able to concieve of a time when people would be able to watch all the episodes over and over in a row in syndication or on DVD and catch the mistake.

9. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

June: "Ward, I think you need to have a talk with the writers..."

Ron1973 likes this.
  10. Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff Cinematographer

Joe
    On "I Love Lucy," Ethel was Ethel Roberta Mertz (Roberta was Vivian Vance's real middle name), then Ethel Louise Mertz (Louise was the name of William Frawley's ex-wife) and then finally, and officially, Ethel Mae Mertz. The explanation for these things is that the producers and writers just didn't care and never dreamed we'd be talking about these things 50 or 60 years later.

11. jimmyjet

jimmyjet Producer

i just finished the 2nd season with wally going to the dance contest with mary ellen rogers.

gosh, this is a good show.

the first part of the series had barbara billingsley doing what i thought was less than stellar acting just some of the time.

but i think at this point, she has really grown right into the role.

all 4 do a good job playing off one another. and they dont make anyone unbelievable.

i dont like the shows where they have 6-year old kids coming up with intelligent wisecracks that are way beyond the capability of a kid of that age.

12. jimmyjet

jimmyjet Producer

also, barbara billingsley lost a fair amount of weight.

i noticed she seemed chunkier than my recall as a boy had thought she was, when i first started watching.

but by the end of the second season, she is looking almost too skinny.

i wonder if she was asked to lose weight for the series ?

there is a good chance that i might not have ever seen these first couple of years.

i had not yet turned 3 when the show began.

13. jimmyjet

jimmyjet Producer

i lied - i still have disk 6 to go !!!

14. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

:laugh: Jimmy, I'm having a blast reading your comments about one of my favorite TV shows.

I think, for me, one of the things that made the show so good was the casting. Each of the four principals, plus the actors who played the recurring characters of Fred & Clarence Rutherford, Judy Hensler, Miss Landers, Mrs. Rayburn and, of course, Eddie Haskell were pitch-perfect in bringing those characters to life. The writing was superb as well as they stayed true to all these characters and they way they'd interact with each other.

We have had a number of debates about this in other threads on the show...but put me in the camp of those who love the early seasons of LITB the best. I always thought the younger Beaver fit the universe of the show's concept better...and June was "young and happening." They seemed to make her a bit more matronly by the end of the show's run.

And three cheers for Burt Mustin as Gus the Fireman! He was probably the first actor I--as a child--ever realized played different characters on different TV shows. I always thought he was terrific.

And I think your comment above says it best:

Walsh61, Rob_Ray and Jeff Willis like this.
  15. jimmyjet

jimmyjet Producer

hi mike,

one thing that i have seen as pretty constant on all the series that i have watched complete in chronological order is that it takes a little bit of time for the writers/directors/actors to develop the characters.

after that, it is simply a matter of good writing. if the directors/actors have a good script, they will make a good show.

i really dont recall any weak episode, as of yet.

you mentioned eddie - he hasnt been in it much as of late. ken osmond was probably not available for whatever reason, cuz he normally did not miss that many shows in a row ?

i sure hope they dont mess with the interplay between ward and june, if they make her seem more matronly.

that is my favorite part, now.

fairly recently, the episode starts off with ward drinking a cup of coffee. he takes a sip, and says - "june, this coffee is cold".

with a brilliant deadpan sarcasm, june says - "i dont know why. i poured it 20 minutes ago when you said you were coming down" !!!!!

hypnohighball likes this.
  16. jimmyjet

jimmyjet Producer

that sort of humor tickles my funny bone way more than most comedies.

stuff is not funny to me, if it is predictable.

and it is even funnier when you know it mimics real life.

i would say that ward and june have a wonderful relationship with each other - the sort that most people would like to have with their spouse.

17. jimmyjet

jimmyjet Producer

this is the one show that i really recall some posters stating that it would not come out, cuz it was not popular enough.

my only reply was "it is obvious you did not live at that time". it was the nicest thing i could say to such an incorrect statement.

18. rmw650

rmw650 Screenwriter

Richard W
    It just premiered on ME-TV after years of being on Antenna TV, so enjoy.

19. Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff Cinematographer

Joe
    I think "Leave It to Beaver" might be unique in TV history. I don't think a single one of the 234 episodes was about a situation that couldn't actually happen in real life.

Now, people might criticize that June did housework all dressed up, in pearls even -- and Ward sat around in the evening still in his suit and tie -- and the teachers were too good to be true -- and maybe it was unrealistic that Beaver NEVER learned his lesson (could he have been THAT stupid?) -- but as far as the actual plots were concerned, it was always something that could actually happen, and probably did to many kids at one time or another.

Add to that the true-to-life characters of Eddie Haskell, Lumpy Rutherford, Larry Mondello, and Beaver's other backstabbing friends, you have an all around great show.

Ron1973 likes this.
  20. jimmyjet

jimmyjet Producer

i dont know if you guys are aware, but there is a web site that hosts hundreds of tv and film personalities, in biographical interviews.

not the dumb stuff like late night shows. but where both parties are talking to one another, like real people.

each person has a 4-5 hour interview.

barbara billingsley explained that the reason why she always wore a jewel around her neck, was because of a somewhat unsightly large indentation around her throat.

as a kid, i didnt notice it. nor did i ever think about what sorts of clothes they were wearing. just the story, and what we learned.