What's new

Least expensive 720p 3D Ready ultra short throw? (1 Viewer)

JOHNnNM

Grip
Real Name
John Stockton
I have a new theater and my old transplanted GT700 seems to have a failing light engine after the several hundred mile move. I am looking at the least expensive replacements. I have no real brand loyalty here. I would like to stick with new.... Factory refurb would be OK, needs to include a remote though. Thanks in advance Need to throw 100" 16:9 / 16:10 from around 4'6" or so screen to projector. Less would be OK though. Needs to work a 3DXL 3D Converter box for 120hz 3D.... at 720P or better projector with native widescreen aspect ratio. Like 720p or WXGA.... Single chip DLP with a slow color wheel speed would be fine for me.

JOHNnNM

Grip
Real Name
John Stockton
So I found some factory refurb GT750E's on a screaming deal. I went to Projector Calculator and it won't let me go any closer to the screen than 5'???? Strange, other short throw projects allow me to go as close as I want to the screen with projector calculator? I want 4' 6"-ish or heck maybe even closer. I think I am going to post the question of why this may be with Projector Calc in a new thread. Still be nice to get suggestions on shoprt throw 3D and/or 3D ready projectors at the lowest possible price points though in this thread.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
I can recommend the BenQ W1080ST for the new/1080p crowd. What sort of budget do you want to constrain this to?

JOHNnNM

Grip
Real Name
John Stockton
I'd love 1080p....... But, I now live in the deep wilderness and really have no money. If I found a fitting product for under $300, that did 3D Ready. I'd be all over it, even if it was not Short throw, then I could buy a new screen too. Current screen is a freebie pull down included with my 1st HD projector many, many moons ago. :) The refurb GT750E is $500-ish, But I could then sell my 3DXL and recoup some cash on the change. This would give me the choice of buying a new screen or not. I like choices where spenind money or not are concerned. I may consider a 1080p product but I think $800 would be the most I could go period and that is way stretching it. But I was and am perfectly happy with my GT700 less the light engine issue which gets worse and worse every time I use it. I think within the next 2 weeks it will become unacceptable for me. I do a lot of 3D these days, as much as gets BD 3D released anyways, Any 1080p DLP 3D or 3D ready projo's out there at $799? Even looking at refurbs, I don't think so. :(

JOHNnNM

Grip
Real Name
John Stockton
I tried to reply? A message stated my post was being held to be approved by a moderator because I was new? Hmmm

JOHNnNM

Grip
Real Name
John Stockton
I'll try agian..... $800 for a 1080p would be the absolute max, even without the short throw.... The furb'd GT750E is $500-ish. But because it has full 3D Bluray supporyt I can sell my 3DXL and that gives me the choice of replacing the screen or not replacing it and I like choices. I was hoping for under $300 for a 720p / WXGA 3D ready projector as then I could get a new screen if I deem it is needed. Thanks for the reply.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
The GT750E will only give you an 88" diagonal screen max. with a 4.5' throw. If you want it larger, you need to move projector back. Regarding your other question above in post #2, the GT750E probably cannot focus any closer than 5'. Just like a camera, if you get too close, it cannot focus clearly.

JOHNnNM

Grip
Real Name
John Stockton
88" is pretty good for my tight space. The replacement screen I am looking at is a 92" 16:9 I'm still leaning towards the GT750E. Waiting on tax return at this point. Getting itchy on it as the retailer seems to be droping the price at regular intervals. I suppose the best price timming would be right before they run out. I want a new 3D ready AVR too. Kicking myself for missing the recent woot Onkyo deal. Pretty budget theater looking at what I came from. But it is cozy and fits the remote nature of our location.

JOHNnNM

Grip
Real Name
John Stockton
Just to give this thread some closure.... I receiverd the GT750 and man did they make some great improvements to the 2D performance over the GT700 I used previously. Even my Laserdiscs look good on it. :) Gotto love the 3D on these things.... Rock solid with my DLP Link glasses. I have not tried my RF glasses on it yet. Pretty happy, I sold my 3DXL in a day..... So today ordered a new 92" 16:9 Focupix screen. I can't fit a 100" into the space. I just have to score a screaming deal on a 3D capable receiver. I missed out on a few woot / deals of the day, so I will be patient on it. My older non HDMI 7.1 receiever is hanging in there just fine for now. I really want scaling on the AVR, I know more and more displays are not providing legacy analog video input needed mainly for my laserdisc collection. Thanks for the input on my choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks