What's new

Lead series character goes blind for an episode. Name them. (1 Viewer)

Joe Tor1

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Torcivia
Among animated crimefighters, both BATMAN and DARKWING DUCK went blind.

“Blind as a Bat” Batman the Animated Series Volume Three, and “Duck Blind” Darkwing Duck Volume One, respectively.

Also, Crewman KOWALSKI was temporarily blinded in “Doomsday” – VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA Season One, Volume Two… but that probably got lost amid the fears of raining nuclear missiles that was the episode’s main thrust.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Let's not forget Rev. Johnson of Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman- he went blind late in the series' run, and stayed that way.

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
Mission: Impossible, Season Four, The Falcon Parts I & II. Barney becomes temporarily blinded when the mission goes awry.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
James P. Willowmore (Bill Gunn), one of the six crew members captured by the Ebonites in The Outer Limits (original series) episode Nightmare was blind for a time (caused by the Ebonites). The blindness was restored by the end of the episode.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
The Gallant Men: Robert Ridgely as Lt. Kimbro suffers battle shock induced blindness in an episode called: "Lesson For A Lover".

The Rat Patrol: "The Blind Man's Bluff Raid": Chris George as Sgt Troy wakes up in a hospital and is told he has been blinded by overexposure to the sun. But it's really a trick of Capt. Dietrich's.

Lancer: "Blind Man's Bluff": James Stacy as Johnny Madrid Lancer is blinded by a gunshot wound.

EdG

Stunt Coordinator
The A Team "The Beast From A Belly Of A Boeing" Murdock is temporarily blinded by a gunshot while fighting terrorists.

Ron68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron
On a season 2 episode of Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman, two scientists make Superman blind with a beam of light shone into his eyes.

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
Steve Austin was blinded in THE SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN's season 2 episode "Pilot Error" (with the recently deceased Pat Hingle).

Roni F

Stunt Coordinator
Xena was temporarily blind in the Season Two episode "Blind Faith," which is actually one of the best episodes of the series.

This is a great idea for a thread.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Mission: Impossible, Season Four, The Falcon Parts I & II. Barney becomes temporarily blinded when the mission goes awry.
Also, season 6, episode 1, an episode called "Blind". Jim Phelps undergoes reversable surgery to blind him so he can pose as a blind man as part of a mission.

Just a quick note - shouldn't this be in the TV and HDTV Programming, since it's not actually related to TV on DVD?

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Jim B. said:
Lassie goes blind in the episode "The Journey" from 1956
LOL. I was thinking there's probably an episode where Lassie goes blind and then I saw this post. I watched that series, so it's probably also in my subconscious at this point. I wonder if she/he got an Emmy nod? And how does a trainer make a dog act blind? Inquiring minds.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
MatthewLouwrens said:
Also, season 6, episode 1, an episode called "Blind". Jim Phelps undergoes reversable surgery to blind him so he can pose as a blind man as part of a mission.
Just a quick note - shouldn't this be in the TV and HDTV Programming, since it's not actually related to TV on DVD?
You're probably right, but I figure fans who actually collect TV on DVDs and have seen episodes multiple times are likely the best source for this kind of deep intel.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Hollywoodaholic said:
LOL. I was thinking there's probably an episode where Lassie goes blind and then I saw this post. I watched that series, so it's probably also in my subconscious at this point. I wonder if she/he got an Emmy nod? And how does a trainer make a dog act blind? Inquiring minds.
Hollywoodaholic,
Lassie did receive an Emmy for that particular episode. And the interpretation of Lassie's acceptance speech was spot on, albeit a bit ... ruff in places. ;)

Stephen Bowie

Stunt Coordinator
This is brilliant, guys, really. "Temporary blindness" is the ultimate cliche plotline for TV shows of a particular era. I mean, what could the veteran story editors of some of these shows have been thinking: "Oh, wow, our hero goes blind -- nobody's ever done THAT before?"

I think some of these eye-rollers (pun intended) have a lot to do with TV stars' vanity: the producers/writers knew it was a tired idea, but it gave the show's star something meaty and out of the ordinary to play. Same thing with the second-most overused cliche TV storyline from the same era: the appearance of the hero's identical (and usually evil) double, which always gave the star the chance to really chow down on the scenery. Somebody should start a thread on that one, too.

Anyway, add MANNIX: "The Sound of Darkness" to the temporary blindness list.

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
I believe that Joe Cartwright was blinded in an episode of Bonanza. Mary Ingalls goes blind as a result of a typhus epidemic.[sp]

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
I was just watching the DVD of Season 2 of NIGHT COURT and there is an episode where Harry goes blind (after going to an eye doctor). It is the episode where Michael Richards appears, playing a guy who thinks he is invisible.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
There was an episode in the Incredible Hulk where David Banner goes blind.

Looking at all the responses... what an overused plot device.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks