What's new

Le Samourai --- Under the Radar (1 Viewer)

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
Did the R2 release of Jean Pierre Melville's classic, 'Le Samourai', slip under the radar? According to Amazon.com's French site, the film was scheduled for a DVD release on 10/9. I have already placed my order at Amazon.
I was unable to determine whether the R2 release includes English subtitles, which is most likely an indication English subtitles have, in fact, been excluded. I'm still excited about the release, however, because I personally know the film well enough to be able to follow the film without subtitles. Moreover, as fans of the film will attest, the actual amount of dialog in the film is somewhat sparse, to say the least. Of course, given a choice, I would ultimately prefer subtitles to be included.
As a side story, my comments above lead me to conclude I misjudged a retailer here in the U.S. a few years ago. I was asking the retailer about a Japanese release of 'Hana Bi'. The retailer honestly told me the Japanese disc had been released without English subtitles. When I asked the retailer why an English-only-speaking person would buy a disc without subtitles, the retailer said people who had seen the film in theaters, and were therefore familiar with the film, would still buy the DVD. At the time, I thought the retailer's position was far-fetched (i.e., a sales pitch), but - ironically - I now find myself in the same situation with respect to 'Le Samourai'.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
It seems to have slipped under the radar of a lot of people, including TF1's website, the alleged distributor. Also amazon.fr has it listed as 1 - 2 weeks, meaning they don't actually have it. I'd say it is doubtful that it is actually out. If you do get it please let us know.
In my experience TF1 DVDs don't have English subtitles. Normally dvdfr.com is my main source for subtitle, etc. info but they along with everyone else except for Amazon don't have Le Samourai listed.
Ted
[Edited last by Ted Todorov on October 10, 2001 at 02:34 PM]

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
Well, Ted, I'm afraid you must be right. Even though I submitted my pre-order before 10/9, I have yet to receive the usual notice from Amazon stating the item has been shipped. At first I thought the delay might have been due to the fact I also used the same order to pre-order the R2 release of 'The Magnificent Ambersons'. However, I think you've uncovered the actual reason for the 'delay'.

Didier

Agent
I called TF1 Video, and was told that "Le Samouraï" was first delayed in November, and is now delayed again with no know date.
You will have to be patient...
Didier.

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
Didier, thank you for making the effort to call TF1. I sure you were able to get to heart of the matter more successfully than I would have if I had placed the call, because I am unable to speak French.
At this point, I suppose I should be happy TF1 has at least acknowledged 'Le Samourai' should eventually be appearing on DVD. Of course, I'm also a little disappointed because the listing at Amazon's French site led me to believe the film was already available on DVD.
As you said, I'll just need to be patient!

Didier

Agent
Dave, I am pleased to see that there are people who show interest for French films, so I try to help when I can.
In the case of "Le Samouraï", as I have been told that it was delayed, not cancelled, there is still hope !
The problem with on-line resellers is that they don't always update their database when a release is delayed.
Didier.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.