What's new

Le Ballon Rouge - Criterion? (1 Viewer)

Neil_Duffy

Second Unit
I read an article a while back on the criterion website about this title and was under the impression that it was coming in the spring... I have been unable to find out anything about this title on there now, and I was wondering if anyone on here can shed any light on this possible release, thanks.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I know this seems pretty obvious, but would this be the original title of what was released here as "The Red Balloon"? If so, I seem to recall seeing a review of a THEATRICAL release this past fall that they raved over. I hope it does get a DVD release here as it was one of my favoite movies as a kid and I would LOVE my niece and nephew to get to experience it!

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
The New Release RSS for Netflix shows "The Red Balloon/White Mane" as a double feature being released on January 22. I checked Amazon and they don't show that DVD but they have the original version that was released on VHS years ago.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
It's coming out in April.

THE RED BALLOON
Newly restored and available for the first time on DVD, Albert Lamorisse’s exquisite The Red Balloon remains one of the most beloved children’s films of all time. In this deceptively simple, nearly wordless tale, a young boy discovers a stray balloon, which seems to have a mind of its own, on the streets of Paris. The two become inseparable, yet the world’s harsh realities finally interfere. With its glorious palette and allegorical purity, the Academy Award–winning The Red Balloon has enchanted movie lovers, young and old, for generations.

Title: The Red Balloon
CAT: CC1746D
UPC: 7-15515-02882-0
ISBN: 978-1-60465-030-3
SRP: $14.95
Prebook: 3/25/08
Street date: 4/29/08

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
I bought from Amazon a DVD of the Red Balloon back in 2003. The picture quality was not very good. Hopefully the new DVD is different. I just did a search on Amazon for "Albert Lamorisse" and it displays the DVD that I have.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
The film was recently restored and had a limited theatrical re-release (including being at Cannes), so it will most assuredly look better now. I've heard through the grapevine that the restored presentation is quite sensational.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
By the way, Netflix customers can now watch both The Red Balloon and The White Mane for free online as part of the Netflix Instant Viewing program. If the image quality of the stream is any indication the DVD should be excellent. :emoji_thumbsup:

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
I watched the new dvd that Netflix has for rental only and the transfer is very fine on both. The only extra is the trailer for the theatrical reissue last year. I am assuming the Criterion version will have more extras, but the same transfers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks