What's new

LD's worth getting? Found some rare/OOP stuff....... (1 Viewer)

C

Christina_V

I just bought This is Spinal Tap Criterion for $9.99 at a store that now sells used LDs.
They had a few more i'm thinknig of getting next time ihave the $$ + they still have a copy...........
They Shoot Horses Don't They? boxed set for $20....i have'nt seen the film yet,but always wanted to in WS of course + the current dvd's bare bones.
Evita Criterion box set for $15.....have'nt seen,but again always wanted to & i think the current dvds(if on dvd) is bare bones.
Crimes of Passion...uncut/SE for $9.99.....have'nt seen,looks interesting & is this on dvd or being released on dvd at all?
I also found & got the Scream uncut LD for $9 as well there a few weeks ago.
I don't have a LD palyer yet..but plan on getting one soon,for cheao though,as i don't think i'll but to many LD's anyway...just a few essentials that may never be released on dvd in whatever version ect.
Other LD's i'd love to get,though keep getting outided on ebay,since i don't want to spend to much on them...........and most go $40+
Grease THX WS 20th
Indiana Jones trilogy
Star Wars original versions trilogy
Close Encounters of the Third Kind Criterion...i prefer the original '77 version.
Blade Runner Criterion....i like this version more than the DC,except for the crappy happy ending.
Halloween Criterion....supposed to have good extras not on the AB dvd.
Those are the main ones i want/need to get,though there may be more out there as well......is Criterions Menace 2 Society & Dead Presidents edtions uncut at all?? Both great movies.....though i know Menace was originaly NC-17 and Dead may have gotten that rating to.

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tina
Hey Christina!!!
For my 400th HTF post, I want to say to you...
...CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!! ;)
You have made some very good and astute pickups!!! I wish I could have found the Evita Criterion Collection Box Set. That was one fun-filled, to me, musical. And the Scream LD, I have the DTS edition of. It is certainly worth it.
And if you can, girl, go for and get those Hughes Bros. CC's. I have them both and they are more than worth the money. In fact, when I got into laserdiscs a few years back, those were the first two Criterion Collectibles I ever picked up. With those DVD's each being bare bones, the LD's are more than worth it!!!!!!
For a few choice titles as the ones you have picked up, owning a laserdisc player not only is, but, to me, still very much worth it, even now in 2002!!!!!! :)
And when you decide to get your laserdisc player, make sure it is one that plays the digital--as well as--analog tracks. (For those CC's, it will be more than needed!!!) As long as you find yourself a good and solid one, it is not a problem at all.
Ebay is, to me, as good a place as any to search for one. And as for those other still-desired titles, do not ever give up. And who knows? You may just well hit pay dirt and come up big. I know: I just avenged my biggest loss on ebay last month by winning The Ballad of Little Jo on laserdisc (widescreen with a P&S VHS tape the only other option and no DVD still!), a title I was clipped on at the last minute back in late 2000. And, what is more, I ended up winning it for less than I would have in 2000 had a bidded higher on it back then.
Thus, hang on in there, girl, and keep on pushin'!! You will make it. I am confident of it. ;)
And, as for me, on to the next 100 posts until I hit 500!!!!!! :)

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, get the Criterion Evita - helluva price - and if you don't want it, I sure do! I'll even give you a little profit.

I hope This is Spinal Tap was the 2-disc CAV version. This has all the extras the dvd has but it's a whole lot cheaper. Did yours have the guitar pick on the jacket front? Probably not (my copy does). The They Shoot Horses, Don't They box set is nice. Forget the Crimes of Passion LD, there's a new version of this coming to dvd. Do get the Scream LD. Get the Halloween LD only if it's the 2-disc CAV version. Excellent commentary!

Good luck on the Grease WS THX (looks stunning, sounds great) and the Indy Trilogy. If interested, I have a couple copies of the Criterion 3-disc CAV Close Encounters for sale (I have a ton of LDs for sale, if I ever get around to it. I'm not exactly cheap though).

I'll give you a hint on Ebay - be patient and pay attention, especially to the "Buy It Now" auctions. I've gotten some outstanding bargains, such as mint copies of the Indy WS Trilogy for $30, Star Wars SE box for $50, Martian Chronicles (perfect condition) for $20, and umpteen others.

And where is this store that still sells desireable titles for cheap? And why isn't it in Minnesota!

C

Christina_V

Well i'm on a pretty tight budget at the moment since i have to get a few bills payed off first,then things should be cool & i can start saving + spending alittle again.
As for LD players....how do you know which have digital & analog playback? They never really tell you ebay,at least the ones i saw + i looked at other sites and they're way to expensive($600+),so ebay is a better bet for me to get one....i'll try to get one for around $100 max.
......and Alan the store is closer than you think! I'm from MN myself, St Paul to be exact. As for Spinal Tap...it was a 2 disc set,one disc CLV,the other CAV & had all the extras though had the regular black poster as both dvds.

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tina
Christina, pretty much any laserdisc player manufactured from 1989-90 on would have digital audio available. One fine gague would be to see if it does in fact play compact discs. If so, then odds are great that it also plays the digital stereo tracks of laserdiscs besides the audio ones. From there, you would be in business.
As for the prices online, yes, ebay is still as fine a place as any, to me, IMHO to look and shop. And, who knows? If you do go about and handle your business and do all that you must do at this time before picking up your searches again, then you may well be able to find one that wold satisfy you good and well at your $100 price range or less. In any event, just simply bide yoru time until then and find one that is more than going to give you all the satisfaction that you are looking for in a laserdisc player to suit your needs. :)
And yes, Alan, with that fine tip you received...why not go for it?????!!!!!! :)

Jim Douglas

Second Unit
I'm trying to find a copy of the That's Entertainment box set. Anybody have a source for that?

Thanks

Jim

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
A place called Lasertown.com sells laserdiscs as well as DVDs. I bought "Absolutely Fabulous: The Last Shout" on LD, as it is not on DVD. The BBC must not own the rights to it.

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
Jim: I have all three That's Entertainment! box sets for sale - I & III are sealed and II is opened but excellent. I prefer to sell them as a set though. Don't know what I want.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Jim,
eBay has "That's Entertainment" parts I,II,III(all sold separately)in CAV all the time. They also have "That's Entertainment I,II,III" in CLV in a beautiful box set for around $29-$39!
Good luck! :D

Jim Douglas

Second Unit
John,

I found II & III on e-bay new unopened but nothing on one.

I'll keep looking.

Alan,

E-mail me if yuo want and we can talk.

I would be interested in all three.

Thanks

Jim

Brian E

Screenwriter
One place I haven't seen mentioned for LD players is a pawn shop. I picked mine up at one for $30 a few months ago and it was money well spent. I know I've seen players at other pawn shops in the Twin Cities area for $100 or less too, although I haven't looked for a while. I got mine for the sole purpose of not having to watch Star Wars on VHS any more. The only thing I've added to my collection besides the trilogy is the MGM release of Treasure of the Sierra Madre which I picked up locally for $10 today (not sure if that's a deal or not, but I love the movie so it was worth it). Now I'm on the look out for old war films that none of the studios have seen fit to put on DVD. Then maybe I can get rid of more VHS. :)
You can find specs for a lot of players that were made here...
http://www.laserdiscarchive.co.uk/

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks