What's new

LCoS or DLP Television Question? (1 Viewer)

Matt Rohr

Agent
I am looking at purchasing a Lcos or DLP set very soon. I have seen the JVC HD-61Z886, Sony 50inch SXRD, and the Samsung HL-R5078W. I have seen all of them in person and I think the Sony is top so far. I did not see any rainbow affect in the Samsung and liked it also, especially for the price. If anyone has any experience with any of these or other 1080 HDTVs? :emoji_thumbsup: I am also looking at the 50 - 60 inch range.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
None of the TVs you've listed is a flat-panel, only two are LCoS and only two are 1080p. (Not the same two.)

The JVC HD-61Z886 is their 61" 720p LCoS set. (JVC calls its flavor of LCoS D-ILA.) I own the 56" version of this set, and I love it. Like other LCoS, DLP and LCD rear-projection sets, the JVC is classed as a "micro display". It boasts a flat screen and a relatively shallow depth (when compared to CRT direct-view or CRT rear projection) but it is not a flat-panel and cannot be hung on the wall. (I think the 56" set is about a foot deep. Darned good for a set that size and much smaller than my old 56" Toshiba RPTV, but still hardly a flat panel.)

The newest Sony SXRD sets (their brand name for their flavor of LCoS) are true 1080p panels, but they are also rear-projection microdisplays and not flat-panels. They look gorgeous, but I couldn't justify spending the extra money for either the 1080p JVCs or the Sonys - one of which is smaller than what I wanted and the other too big and way too costly.

The Samsung is also a 1080p set, but it isn't LCoS. It is a DLP set. (Samsung doesn't make an LCoS set and has no plans to move into the technology as far as I know.) DLP is the another microsdisplay rear-projection technology, like LCoS and LCD RP. Shallower, but not flat.

So some searches on LCoS, SXRD and DLP and you'll find several threads comparing the three and listing their strengths and weaknesses. (All display technologies have both, and what you end up with will depend on your budget, your viewing habits and the lighting and other conditions in your room.)

If you want a flat-panel display in that screen size, you're pretty much limited to LCD and Plasma, which have their own limitations. (LCD is pricey at that size, although that is coming down. Plasma is more vulnerable to burn in than many other technologies, but less so than it used to be, and there are ways of avoiding and/or dealing with the issue. LCD has vastly improved black levels and reduced other problems in recent years, but still lags behind plasma. For sheer image quality probably nothing beats CRT, but then you have space and weight issues. :))

Regards,

Joe

Jay_Via

Stunt Coordinator
in my 6 weeks of tv shopping/research, i dont believe you can buy a better tv than either the latest JVC 1080p OR the Sony SXRD. Unfortunately, i was not able to view an HP 5880n but i have read/heard many good things about that too.

IMHO, its a toss up between the JVC and the Sony. Dont think you can go wrong either way.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I saw the JVC (D-ILA = LCoS), the Sony (SXRD = LCoS) and the HP (DLP) at Cedia and I would rate the Sony and HP about the same in picture quality with the JVC a little behind them. This is my subjective assessment based on what I saw. Generally, I tend to like 1080p LCoS better than DLP but the HP was the best looking 1080p DLP I've even seen. All are in the same price range.

The deal maker for me was that the HP accepts 1080p inputwhere the JVC and SONY only scale up to 1080p from a maximum resolution of 1080i. I discussed the ramifications of this a bit in this thread and will have more to say once my HP MD5880n arrives next week. I also liked the way the HP set fits in with my current "black" equipment (Sanus Euro racks, etc.) in the HT. Nothing to do with performance and capabilities, but nice icing on the cake in my case.

JoeyR

Second Unit
Real Name
Joey
I was thinking about getting the JVC Lycos down the road, but something that bothers me is when you get close to the screen(a foot away) images get really really blocky at least to me, is this standard for all DLPs are is it just me?

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
JoeyR:

1) TVs in retail stores are usually hideously maladjusted to the point where even a good set can look like crap.

2) How often do you plan to watch TV from a foot away? :)

All diplays have flaws up close. They get even worse if you whip out a magnifying glass and stare at the image from a few inches away. But that isn't much of a test as it has nothing to do with how anyone will actually watch the set under real-life conditions.

Regards,

Joe

Matt Rohr

Agent
I went to look at the Sony unit again this weekend. I am thinking I may want to go with that unit. It maybe a little more, but Sony has not let me down. If anyone has had any BAD experience with a 1080 Sony unit, give me the heads up!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks