What's new

LCD TV or LCD Computer Monitor for tv (1 Viewer)

Robert Bruce

Auditioning
I need to purchase a LCD TV or Computer monitor to do double duty(watch tv,use playstation 2 and use as a computer monitor).
I am comparing the Samsung ltn1765- 17"tv, 1280 x 1024 resolution, contrast @ 400:1, Brightness @ 350cd/m2 with Sony"s 19" computer monitor HX93.The Sony LCD Monitor has 800:1 Contrast and 400cd/m2 brightness.
Computer salesmen tell me running tv thru the monitor and computer will be better quality or at least as good as the tv and i would get a 19" screen instead of 17".

What do you folks think?
I would appreciate any comments
Thanks

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
In almost all cases, a computer monitor can give a sharper clearer picture than a TV set.

You might not always see the best TV quality froma computer monitor because the circuits that take TV video tend to be mediocre. Yhid mediocrity often includes the monitor build in scaler too. A scaler is needed to make the 480 scan line TV picture fill the monitor screen as opposed to occupy just the inner 640 x 480 pixels. Using an external TV to PC converter you usually get the best the computer monitor can give.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks