What's new

LCD Image vs. Plasma Image "Smoothness" (1 Viewer)

Jimjum27

Agent
Real Name
Jim J.
Hey everyone! Looking for help in regards to my image quality. Walking through the stores I see this "real as life" image popping off the screen and thought I wasn't seeing that at home because I had a 720P monitor. I finally got my 1080P Plasma, but the image is still the same as it was before and it did not achieve the image I thought it would.

Thinking back, these displays were LCD TVs and not Plasmas and I was wondering if that was the issue. Can only LCD's have this capability? Could it be that I don't have my 24fps set up properly? Is there a "cinesmooth" function that needs to be enabled? Is this part of DNR? Or...is the image I had right and this new image is something to hate because the computer is augmenting the original presentation?

Hoping someone with more intelligence than I can point me in the right direction. Also, I have someone saying that their TV is better than mine...I just can't have that :)

Thanks!

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I'm not sure what you're asking. Do you mean your image is not bright enough? Because in the stores, they have the TV's contrast and brightness set WAY too high. This is to draw your attention, and to combat all the lights on in the store. Have you calibrated your TV with a calibration disc? If not, you need to do that.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
[FONT= 'Comic Sans MS']
[/FONT][FONT= 'Arial']I finally got my 1080P Plasma, but the image is still the same as it was before and it did not achieve the image I thought it would. [/FONT][FONT= 'Comic Sans MS']
[/FONT]
[FONT= 'Comic Sans MS']Keep in mind that presently the only source for 1080p is blu-ray DVDs. Broadcast, cable and satellite are typically 720p or 1080i.[/FONT]

[FONT= 'Comic Sans MS']Regards,[/FONT]
[FONT= 'Comic Sans MS']Wayne A. Pflughaupt[/FONT]

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I believe you're referring to the frame interpolation that some LCDs do - commonly referred to as 120Hz mode or "soap opera effect".

The set adds additional fake frames to the image that aren't present in the original signal. This makes the motion seem "smoother", but also gives it a very unnatural look.

Not sure, but I don't think any plasmas have this, though I don't imagine there's any technical reason why they couldn't.

Some people love it, others hate it. Personally, I always leave it off, even though I have a set that comes equipped with the feature, as that isn't the way the creators of the program intended it to be seen.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I own a philips HDTV that can do the 120 refresh rate and I am one of the few that actually likes it. I would highly recommend it.

if you have any questions go ahead and ask.

Jacob

Jimjum27

Agent
Real Name
Jim J.
Thanks for the responses.

It sounds like I'm trying to describe the "soap opera effect" based on Worth's explanation as it's seen on both Blu-Ray and broadcast images. I'll see if the 120 hz mode is available on plasmas so that I can determine if I like it or not. Honestly, I get a little motion sick from it, but I like keeping my options open.

Thanks again!

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
plasmas do not have the 120 refresh rate. only lcds.
here are a couple of links about the refresh rate.
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6449_7-6792632-1.html
http://hometheater.about.com/od/televisionbasics/qt/framevsrefresh.htm
Jacob

monika

Auditioning
Real Name
Monika
I have a LCD TV . And the picture quality is great. Smoothness is also very good Some body says Plasma TV 'S smoothness is better . But i notices nothing like that It may be due to my love with my own LCD.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Actually, it looks like Samsung plasmas do have a similar feature. From their website:

http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/tv-video/televisions/plasma-tv/PN50B860Y2FXZA/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail&returnurl=

100Hz Motion Plus
module_Motion-Plus_100HZ.jpg

Never has fast-paced animation or special effects in movies looked smoother than they do with 100Hz Motion Plus technology. By analyzing and extending action frames, 100Hz Motion Plus assures nothing goes by in a blur. Instead, special effects are crisper. Animation smoother. Sports sharper. And viewers are more glued to their screens.

johnnyutah

Grip
Real Name
riley
Hi Jim,

you seem to be talking about the "soap opera" effect that Nick mentioned above. it is the 120hz feature on LCD's. I originally bought a samsung LCD 640 that had this. okay for sports but for tv and movies... forget about it, IMO it looks like crap! I disliked what it did to movies - taking away the "film" feel and replacing it with this artificial looking image. It made me feel like i was watching the movies on set with the director and watching special effects looked ridiculous. you could really tell how the special effects were done and the CG stuff looked less real and more computer generated. make sense? It really distracted from my viewing pleasure so I took it back and got a Panny G15 Plasma... best TV i've ever owned and the image is insanely good. I also noticed when I had the 120hz feature cranked on high on my samsung, I experienced a lot more "noise" on screen and also had a slight blurring to the edges of the football players...

There's a lot of talk about the "120HZ" feature... one thing i've read over and over is that, really, it doesn't matter. Plasma's started attaching HZ rates to look competitive with LCDs.. my panny for instance boasts 600hz. but instead, for fast moving objects on screen like sports and action movies, look at refresh rate instead. The faster the pixels can change the better quick moving images will appear. Plasmas will always be superior here until LCD's catch up.

tons of info on these forums about this particular topic. at the end of the day it's down to what image you like and what looks best to you.. don't let the 120hz feature be the decision... I watch sports and action movies, some tv. no gaming. low lighting in my room and the plasma was a natural fit.

good luck on your decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks