Lawrence of Arabia: Superbit edition?!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick McCart, Jun 6, 2002.

1. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    According to DVDFile, Columbia is reissuing Lawrence of Arabia in a new edition sans extras...but still 2-discs.
    Does anyone know if this is a true Superbit edition?
    I'm hoping we'll finally see the correct color schemes. Plus, DTS 5.1 wouldn't be that bad. [​IMG] Perhaps Columbia could even give us the 65mm trailer.

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

If Robert Harris approves the transfer I'll buy it again

They have to split the movie across 2 discs. I personally can't wait for the 70mm reissue!

3. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Yeah, I saw how DVDFILE threw in the word Superbit. If this is NOT a Superbit title, they shouldn't throw the word "Superbit" around the title of the movie as they did. Poor writing on their part.

But, the fact they added "ala" seems to mean that it's like a Superbit.

4. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

I am POSITIVE that this will be the same 2 discs... just with different packaging (sans "Limited Edition" cloth packaging) to commemorate the aniversary that is coming up (40th?)
    At least that is what I am thinking. Why spend the money to remaster the discs w/o extras when you can throw the old discs into a new box and stir up new interest. [​IMG]
    (I would buy again if Bob Harris oversaw a new transfer)

5. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

Unfortunately, "Superbit" doesn't guarantee that a film will be "color corrected" or even in proper AR. I suspect, like Rob, that it will be the same as the previous edition sans extras.

6. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    As I have heard nothing regarding this disc, nor have I been consulted on any level, I must assume that the film will be a retread of the same old Columbia egocentric transfer.

While home video certainly have the ability (if they care) to correct the various audio problems, which include changes and cuts to both synchronization with picture and the intent of Maurice Jarre's score, they most assuredly do not have the technical ability to change what they have created to something which can be considered as David Lean's Lawrence of Arabia.

As I've said in the past, if David saw this transfer, he would have anyone involved on any level in home video division singing with the castrati. I'm certain he would come up with something equally unpleasant for the women involved.

RAH

7. John Bryant

John Bryant Second Unit

Robert-Tell us how you really feel. [​IMG]
    This will not be a Superbit title, as far as I know.

8. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Mr. Harris,

I have never seen Lawrence on film. I greatly look forward to seeing the new 70mm presentation which theoretically should retain the version that you and Mr. Lean restored.

9. Rain

Rain Producer

10. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

I almost feel ashamed to own the DVD after Mr.Harris' comments, but I love this movie too much to not be able to pop it into my player and watch it on my 55 inch Mits!

11. John Knowles

John Knowles Stunt Coordinator

John
    Has anyone heard when the new 70mm print is going to start circulating? I can't wait to see it when it comes out...

12. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Mr. Harris, thanks for replying.
    Perhaps Columbia can do it right for the 45th anniv. [​IMG]

13. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    Do any LDs of Lawrence contain an better or more accurate presentation than the DVD?

14. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Screenwriter

YES!! Both the Criterion CAV and CLV discs appear to exactly replicate the color scheme of the 70mm prints I've seen.

If you're looking for a used one I recommend seeking out the CLV, as it will save you a lot of pain on disc flipping and switching.

-Lyle J.P.

15. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    The laserdiscs have limitations of their own due to the source elements used in addition to the obvious differences between the video media. With this in mind, the colors and densities are more accurate and the 2-3 errors in the recent remix are not present. All laserdiscs (and widescreen VHS) of the Lawrence restoration are sourced from the same video transfer, so assuming no laser rot (always a source of anxiety with Columbia laserdiscs), the Columbia discs are of comparable quality to the Criterion.

Regards,

16. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    Besides all the color issues, what about all the "mistakes" that I have heard of on the DVD?

My overall question is, if one were to get the Criterion CLV LD, will it be mistake free, or at least significantly better than the DVD?

17. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    You have a tradeoff between laser and dvd.

The lasers do not have the audio re-cutting errors, the main titles which appear to be attempting a Gone with the Wind look, the cuts in the restoration end credits, the mis-timings in density and color as well as other problems...

the laser transfer, thanks to Columbia, was created from a defective 35mm print -- the only element that they would permit Criterion to use. And Criterion's transfer was still superior to Columbia's, which used a much better picture element.

The laser will not be quite as sharp, nor as noise free -- the basic new Columbia transfer is generally good as a technical transfer. The problems arose from not knowing the film.

If Columbia is not going to allow a fix of their current work, I would suggest going with either of the Criterion laser releases. As has been noted above, the Sony lasers were known for their high quality rotting characteristics.

RAH

18. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

I knew it was too good to be true (as far as a NEW DVD transfer)!
    I can't wait for the re-release of this great movie! As far as I know, there still has not been any official announcement regarding the re-release. [​IMG]

19. JoshB

JoshB Supporting Actor

Joshua Bal
    I have heard that Lawrence of Arabia is going to be rereleased, but as a single disc substitute for the Limited Edition, and it is due out on Aug 27th, the same day Columbia will be releasing single discs of Final Fantasy and Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Lawrence's transfer will surely be affected by this change. It will not be a Superbit. The next Superbit titles due out are Anaconda and A Knight's Tale, due out on August 27th. Who the heck picks these titles anyway?

20. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    My top Superbit nominees are Lawrence of Arabia and Wolf.
    Ive been on a LD purchasing binge lately, so what the hell. I ordered Lawrence of Arabia Criterion CLV LD today. My LD collection is what my DVD collection should have been. Small, but filled with only the best of best films. SW Trilogy, Indy trilogy, Blade Runner CC, Jaws SE, King Kong CC, and now, Lawrence CC.[​IMG] [​IMG]