Lawrence Of Arabia On Big Screen

Discussion in 'Movies' started by EdgarNazaretyan, May 6, 2005.

1. EdgarNazaretyan

All I can say after watching Lawrence of Arabia in 70 mm is wow. Superbit doesnt have anything on it. Words can't express how good it was. Everything was so clear. All the ripples in the sand were easily seen. Its as if I was there in the desert and some scenes even seemed like they were three dimensional. If anyone is interested and lives in the Los Angeles area, the movie will be playing from May 4, 2005 to May 8, 2005 in the Aero Theatre in Santa Monica. Also, if Robert Harris can comment, how does one know if this version is the recently restored one you had done for the superbit or if its the one prior to it. Any input would be great. Thank you.

2. Kain_C

Kain_C Screenwriter

Seeing this on the big screen would be an unbelievable experience.

3. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Why should the Superbit even be worthy of comparison to one of the restoration 70mm prints? Not even an HD version would.

And the restoration was not done for the Superbit DVD... it was released in 1988 and every video since then is from the restoration. The Superbit just uses some extra color correction and less filtering/edge enhancing of the HD source. The audio is also corrected in several places (mix errors in the old DVD mix).

4. RichD

RichD Agent

Thought I'd dig up this thread for anyone who might be in the Washington, DC area. Lawrence of Arabia is playing in Silver Spring in the amazing AFI theater (which has THX sound and 70mm). Playing now through August 21. Worth the trip if you haven't seen it the way it's meant to be seen.

More info:
    http://www.afi.com/silver/new/nowpla...2i4/lawre.aspx

5. Michael Harris

Michael Harris Screenwriter

Count me there.

6. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    I remember seeing this for the first time in one of the ill-fated Jerry Lewis Cinemas in the early 70's, obviously in re-issue. The screen was not that huge and the print was frought with splices and scratches and dirt. Watching the Superbit DVD on my 46" Toshiba is the best LOA experience I've yet had, which is pretty sad, I guess. Would love to have seen a 70mm print in New York or Boston or somewhere.

7. Ryan L. Bisasky

Ryan L. Bisasky Second Unit

I hope that some day i can see 2001 in 70 mm at the senator.

8. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    I wish they had this in the Dallas area. I would be there!

9. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Gentlemen, this is not a Software-related thread. It has now been moved to Movies. Carry on.

10. Tom Brennan

Tom Brennan Screenwriter

Saw this in NY a few times, can't bring myself to watch the superbit (although I own it) cause I keep hoping it will come back sometime soon.

11. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

The best cinematic experience(s) of my life were seeing Lawrence of Arabia in 70mm!

Once at the Cinerama Dome, and once at The Academy Theater in Beverly Hills.

Outstanding presentations (with the nod going to The Academy Theater's version as the one at the Cinerama Dome had some audio problems).

No, the Superbit is not something even worth mentioning in the same sentence as the 70mm version!

12. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

What would an LOA thread be without Rob? It's good ta see ya. [​IMG]

13. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

Thanks Dome, you too!

14. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

Thought I'd put my thoughts in seeing it last night at the AFI Silver.

First off, I have to say that the Silver is a very nice theater. Not real big, but very classy with comfortable seats. Actual curtains covering the screen. In the rear of the theater, they have small tables between the seats to put food. Pretty nice overall.

Unfortunatly, the screening wasn't flawless. One of their projectors was having problems during the entrance music, and kept dropping out. The manager came out and explained the problem, and that they were going to try to do everything on one projector. They offered refunds for those who didn't want to sit through the problems. We stayed, and sure enough, every twenty minutes for the first 3-4 reels, they had to stop to change the reels. They were pretty quick about it (about 2 minutes for a change) and continued on. After the first 3-4 reels, it was obvious that they fixed the projector, since there were no stoppages for reel changes.

The only other thing was the guy snoring late in the film, which was amusing.

Afterwards, we received a couple of passes to come back for other films, since this was a problem. I have no problem comming back at some point...

The print they used looked great, and it was a pleasure to finally see this film on the big screen.

Jason

15. Haggai

Haggai Producer

Yikes, too bad about the projector problems. No issues like that with the screening I saw there a few weeks ago, and I'm planning on going again with some friends in the next few weeks. I go the Silver Theater very frequently, usually a few times a month, and they've very rarely had any projection problems when I've been there.

16. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

To give them credit, the manager was very up front about the problems. They did get a projector tech in very quickly to fix the problem, and we got a couple of free passes for our trouble.

I've been wanting to go to the Silver since it reopened, and it was nice that I had a good excuse. If it weren't a half hour drive for me, I'd be tempted to join their club.

Jason

17. Lars Vermundsberget

Lars Vermundsberget Supporting Actor

I'd be willing to take a long drive to see LoA in 70 mm. Even seeing it for the first time years ago on a rather small TV screen was quite an experience.

18. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

I would have had a hard time putting up with 2 minute gaps for each reel. Continuity in quite important, and those 2 minutes could definitely take you out of the immersive experience.

Sorry you had to put up with that, but overall it sounds like you still enjoyed the 70mm presentation.

19. Dwayne

Dwayne Supporting Actor

Just wanted to chime in and say that the presentation I saw last night (the last for the summer) was excellent!

Fortunately, we didn't have projection issues like the ones mentioned above. I was hoping the screen was just a tad larger...don't get me wrong, the image was plenty big. The image quality itself was awesomely clear. I noticed details I'd never seen before.

The GF and I drove down to Georgetown first to take some pics of the house and steps that appeared in The Exorcist. That was an incredible experience...the steps are more menacing in person...extremely steep. There were quite a few people who decided to find another way down to "M" street. Afterwards, it took a little over a half hour to get to the AFI Silver from Georgetown.

Definitely worth the 3 hour trip for a little Sunday movie magic.

I snapped some pics from yesterday...I'll see if I can get them posted.

RichD,

Thanks for posting the info about the showing at the Silver.

Robert Harris,

Thanks for your efforts on the restoration. Without them, I wouldn't have been able to experience what I did yesterday.

20. Haggai

Haggai Producer

Glad you enjoyed it, Dwayne! I was also there last night, with a couple of friends who had never seen the movie before. They got it in from Netflix earlier this summer, but they just have a medium-sized standard-def TV, so I pretty much ordered them to send it back and come to one of the screenings with me instead. They were quite impressed, needless to say!

Also glad you weren't late to the movie...getting out of M Street in Georgetown going north is almost always a disaster.

Thanks again to RAH as well. [​IMG]