What's new

LAWRENCE OF ARABIA in 70mm this Weekend in Toronto (1 Viewer)

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
Toronto's York theatre is closing this weekend and will be showing the restored LAWRENCE OF ARABIA as the final program. It runs Friday, Saturday & Sunday. God knows when there will be another opportunity to see 70mm in a properly set-up theatre.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
When you say "closing", do you mean closing for good, e.g. going out of business? This is a very classy choice for a "last call".
------------------
Feline audience members Katie, Susie, and the one and only Fluffy Pumpkin

Sebastian_M

Stunt Coordinator
Too bad about the theater. I'm really tempted to go see this there. It has always been a pretty good theater, and I've been dying to see any film in 70mm...but those days aren't great for me. Is anyone planning on going?
Seb
------------------
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.

Ugo Scarlata

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the heads up, Rob! The York's screen is a bit small, especially for watching an epic film in 70mm, but I'll definitely be there.
I saw a 70mm presentation of Vertigo there, last year, and I was very impressed... I can't say the same about the audience in attendance at that screening though: many people kept laughing (!!) quite loudly throughout the film... go figure!
Cheers,
-Ugo
------------------
[ http://ugo.scarlata.it/?pid=about&cid=3

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
I'll be there for sure! This is my favourite movie, and I can't miss the chance to see it in 70mm glory for the first time.
woohoo!
Andrew
------------------
ICQ# - 119869807

Bob Movies

Stunt Coordinator
I'll be going to see this, though Curse of the Jade Scorpian opens on Friday, so I'll see it Saturday or Sunday. Does anyone know what time it's playing?
I'm also going to see the 35mm Archival print of Citizen Kane on Saturday or Sunday (whatever day I'm not seeing Lawrence), but that's playing at the Royal.
~Bob

Sebastian_M

Stunt Coordinator
I'm probably going to go Sunday evening. Do we have to reserve tickets or pick them up ahead of time? Anyone thinking of a mini meet?
Seb
------------------
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Would you believe they just ran it in 70mm in London for two weeks? I didnt find out about the screenings until the day before it finished, and it's last day was a screening I wasnt able to make.
frown.gif

Dan (UK)

Sebastian_M

Stunt Coordinator
That sucks Dan. I've been wanting to see something in 70mm for a while and LoA is one of my favourite films. I can't wait.
Seb

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
It plays Fri, Sat & Sun evening at 7:30, with matinees Sat & Sun at 2.

Sebastian_M

Stunt Coordinator
I'm going to be at the Sunday 7:30 showing. I have work during the day. It will be a nice way to end a God-awful day! :)
Seb
------------------
Tall ships and tall kings
Three times three
What brought they from the foundered land
Over the flowing sea?
Seven stars and seven stones
And one white tree

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
Holy shit! Just got back from seeing LoA at the York theater. My favourite movie of all time just got 10 times better seeing it in 70mm. Wow, was that ever amazing. I've never seen the movie before in theaters, let alone in 70mm...so my first theater viewing being 70mm was simply amazing!
Thanks Rob W for letting us all know that it was playing this weekend.
Andrew
------------------
ICQ# - 119869807

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
I went to the very last show on Sunday night. The clarity and texture of 70mm is truly something that just can't be duplicated. And watching the film again made me realise that LoA is truly the worst film of all time to watch on a television screen, even in a letterboxed DVD version.
Best of all - one of the most respectful audiences I've seen at a theatre in a long time. A wonderful but bittersweet evening.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
DAMN I guess I shoul pay more attention to the adds,
Next time announce it guys !!!!! We could get together for a small meet, or maybe lunch or dinner after the flick.
Brent L

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks