What's new

Lawman - Coming July 1st to Encore Westerns (1 Viewer)

I know this forum is for DVD news, but I thought I would inform Classic TV Western Fans that "Lawman" the 1950's western starring John Russell and Peter Brown, will begin on Encore Westerns on July 1st, at 9 AM EST (I think). Fire up your DVR's.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Originally Posted by Richard Villafana
I know this forum is for DVD news, but I thought I would inform Classic TV Western Fans that "Lawman" the 1950's western starring John Russell and Peter Brown, will begin on Encore Westerns on July 1st, at 9 AM EST (I think). Fire up your DVR's.
I have been waiting for Lawman for a long time. It looks like they will be running one show a day, 5 days a week, M-F at 9am.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
When will Encore start showing Rawhide? I'm Wondering if Inversting in a New DVD Recorder Makes Sense?

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I timed Lawman on Encore Westerns this morning at 24:24. This included the opening preview and the WB logo on the beginning and end. Does anybody know if this is a little short?

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Originally Posted by Dave Scarpa
When will Encore start showing Rawhide? I'm Wondering if Inversting in a New DVD Recorder Makes Sense?
I believe Rawhide is slated for 2011.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Originally Posted by ChrisALM
I timed Lawman on Encore Westerns this morning at 24:24. This included the opening preview and the WB logo on the beginning and end. Does anybody know if this is a little short?
Encore is pretty good about using uncut epsiodes so I wouldn't be surprised if that is the correct time. However, I wouldn't know for sure. I just know I typically find half hour cut episodes to be between 22 and 23 minutes and uncut between 25 and 26 minutes. But there are always exceptions (e.g., Cheyenne).

Did you get a chance to sample the quality? How would you compare it to other current Encore western shows? I have my DVR set but won't be able to see for myself until this evening.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Originally Posted by smithb

Encore is pretty good about using uncut epsiodes so I wouldn't be surprised if that is the correct time. However, I wouldn't know for sure. I just know I typically find half hour cut episodes to be between 22 and 23 minutes and uncut between 25 and 26 minutes. But there are always exceptions (e.g., Cheyenne).

Did you get a chance to sample the quality? How would you compare it to other current Encore western shows? I have my DVR set but won't be able to see for myself until this evening.
I watched it as I recorded it and it seemed less clear and a little darker than Maverick or Cheyenne. I also noticed white specks from time to time, but I was able to not be distracted by them.

I am curious about tomorrow's run time.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
I watched it as I recorded it and it seemed less clear and a little darker than Maverick or Cheyenne. I also noticed white specks from time to time, but I was able to not be distracted by them.

I am curious about tomorrow's run time.
Bummer...its turns out I forgot to add it to the DVR. Now I will have to wait until the next go around for the first episode. Oh well.

Sounds like the quality might be closer in line with the earlier seasons of HGWT shown on Encore. I can brighten it up some if overly dark but I can't add detail that is not there. Still interested in capturing it though.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Well, today's episode timed in at 24:31. I guess Lawman is going to run around 24 and a half minutes. I also thought today's episode looked better, more like a Cheyenne episode. HGWT seems to vary a lot, making it hard for me to use in comparison.

Lawman is very watchable, and a must have for me. Thank you Encore Westerns!

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Not having seen yesterday's episode, at a glance today's does look pretty good and is right up there with some of the better Encore b/w western shows for video quality. Your right HGWT does vary a lot. I've been mainly just capturing them for future watching.

Having only been capturing shows for about a year now, Encore Western is really stacking me up with plenty to watch for the future. I'm currently watching Cheyenne with Maverick, Gunsmoke, Virginian, HGWT, and now Lawman building up my queue. And next year we will get Rawhide as well. Yes...many thanks to Encore Western.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Originally Posted by Dave Scarpa
While I realize a DVD recorder simplifies things greatly, I am glad I went with the DVR through a capture card to my computer hard drive approach. If you are willing to put in some extra work and expense there are big benefits in my opinion. Also depending on your comfort level with computers (I use them all day long for work)

- Backup storage on hard drives and away from just DVD-R's. Hard drives are pretty cheap at $100 for 1 TB (I have 2.5 TB's right now for captured TV shows, supports about 2500 shows). Also some DVD players support reading from a USB drive so you don't have the expense of blank DVD-R's. I just got a 16 GB USB drive as part of a promotion and it can store around 12 one hour shows at a time.

- Better options for editing software. I currently use products from TMPGEnc that I think are phenominal at being easy to use and offer many options. Quick and easy removal of commercials or trimming extra content from the beginning and end without having to re-encode which takes too much time for small edits. Adding video filtering that makes a b/w true b/w by removing any tinting, color station logo's, or just annoying rainbow effects from vertical stripes. Audio filtering to remove overly annoying hiss.

- Better options for authoring software. I again prefer TMPGENc products for ease of use and the quality of the finished products.

It does take more work but I think the finished product can be so much better. After upgrading recently to a new Windows 7 workstation, I just moved my older XP computer down to the basement for full-time capturing, editing, and authoring duties, which my wife is very happy about since we share a computer for home use.

Just throwing that out there for anyone happening to read that hasn't considerd this approach.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
I wonder why the quality of HGWT on Encore Westerns varies so widely. All the episodes were remastered in the 90s for VHS release through Columbia House. I wonder why CBS didn't make those masters available to Encore Westerns. They would at least be better than the beaten up 16mm prints that they've used for quite a few episodes.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Does anyone know if they will be showing these three Episodes?

Hassayampa

Blind Hate

The Tarnished Bridge

These three were not shown when Goodlife was showing this series, and the website http://peterbrown.tv/lawmanhome.html lists them as "Missing"./img/vbsmilies/htf/confused.gif

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Originally Posted by smithb

While I realize a DVD recorder simplifies things greatly, I am glad I went with the DVR through a capture card to my computer hard drive approach. If you are willing to put in some extra work and expense there are big benefits in my opinion. Also depending on your comfort level with computers (I use them all day long for work)
I have considered that approach, I am just uncertain about how to make it happen. My Panasonic DMR 75VS with an 80 GB HDD is getting older all the time. When I went out shopping to find a back up, I couldn't find anything close to matching what the Panasonic could do. I am always clearing things off to make room for something new.

Yeah, Encore Westerns is keeping me busy, too.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Originally Posted by Regulus
Does anyone know if they will be showing these three Episodes?

Hassayampa

Blind Hate

The Tarnished Bridge

These three were not shown when Goodlife was showing this series, and the website http://peterbrown.tv/lawmanhome.html lists them as "Missing"./img/vbsmilies/htf/confused.gif
All they "missing" ment is they haven't been running around in collector circles all these years :)

I haven't heard otherwise,so we can expect all the episodes to run on Encore.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
When WB remastered their library they removed all of the bumpers in and out of breaks - and now back to Lawman, etc. I would have to A/B an episode with my copies of the show from 16mm to see for sure if anything is cut from the actual episode although I highly doubt it.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Originally Posted by Neil Brock
When WB remastered their library they removed all of the bumpers in and out of breaks - and now back to Lawman, etc. I would have to A/B an episode with my copies of the show from 16mm to see for sure if anything is cut from the actual episode although I highly doubt it.
The bumpers along with the sponcer "Brought to you by" tags would be another minute or so. So I agree nothing storywise is missing.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I am glad to hear the story lines are very likely complete. I would have preferred that the bumpers would have remained, too. But, that's just me.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Well I have captured and watched episodes 2 through 5 so far and I'm liking it very much. My only complaint, which I know is going to go against the grain of puriest, but so far 3 of the 4 have had teasers with scenes from later within the episode before the intro. And one had a prologue leading up to the story (Joker) before the intro. I found the same thing some times in Cheyenne and Maverick. The teaser being the much more common.

Personally, I have always hated these teasers and would prefer to go into an episode completely unaware of what is going to happen. So when I capture them I prefer to just edit them out without watching. Unfortunately, because they are sometimes prologue's I have to watch to determine if I should edit them out later. I just wish they were consistent in their approach is all.

Anyone else bothered by teaser's, or just me?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks