What's new

Law & Order: SVU premiere, Law & Order: CI premier, Monk premier all in June! (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
News about Law & Order: Special Victims Unit

News about Law & Order: Criminal Intent

News about Monk (no cover art yet)

Sorry to be lazy, but I'm off to bed. Click the links and check it out. Strange that Universal is bringing this stuff, but still no signs of the "Lost 8" that were announced late last year for 2003 release (Galactica, Sliders, Quantum Leap, E:FC, Emergency!, Dragnet, Rockford Files, & Magnum P.I.). I wonder what the holdup is? :confused:

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Hey, can a mod correct the subject so that "premiere" is spelled correctly all three times? Thanks. I *Said* I was tired! :)

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
These must be "water-testers" to see if full-seasons are warranted.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
How in the heck does this make any sense? Why return to the old Star Trek paradigm given how successful the Fox releases have been?

I love Monk, but there is no way I'd get it an episode at a time.

*Edit : Whoops, you beat me to it. Still, $20 is just asking to fail *

Joel C

Screenwriter
Who is that SVU guy and why is his forehead twice the size of a normal person's? I though *I* had a big forehead.

Joel C

Screenwriter
His head looks nowhere near that big in Wet Hot American Summer. What a bad picture.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I love Monk, but there is no way I'd get it an episode at a time.
Well, at least Monk kicked off with a "two hour" (1:20) TV movie instead of a regular episode. So there is a certain kind of logic to releasing the pilot as a separate disc and following it up with the (short) first season later. But why anyone would issue just the standard-length pilots for the two L & O shows is a bigger mystery than anything in the shows themselves. :)

Regards,

Joe

Britton

Screenwriter
I heard that L&O Season 1 wasn't such a big seller, so perhaps that may explain Universal's cautious approach to these shows. However, I can say I won't be buying these single episode releases.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I heard that L&O Season 1 wasn't such a big seller, so perhaps that may explain Universal's cautious approach to these shows.
I have also heard that L&O S1 (as well as Baretta) didn't go over too well for Universal. I take that with a grain of salt, since I didn't hear it direct from Uni but instead through anecdotal evidence from many retailers and even from a ditstributer or two. Still, it was convincing info, at least for me.

So I'm confused: if that's true, why even revisit the L&O fans with this promotion? Why not move foward with at least some of the "Lost 8"? There are some guaranteed sales built into the SciFi crowd, and the 4 SciFi shows in that group should be a license to print money, if produced with any level of decency. Not to mention that the new "Al Bundy" version of Dragnet seems to be doing well in the ratings, so tie into the original version for chrisakes.

Gee, I guess since the excremental new version of Galactica is being worked on for this year, according to SciFi channel's website ("Production begins in Vancouver in March. Battlestar Galactica will air exclusively on SCI FI in late 2003."), I guess that means the classic Galactica DVD set should at least be out in time to tie into that.

Well, "Yes" if Hulk is any indication. On the other hand, it's "No" if Dragnet is any indication. Hulk didn't turn out to be a big shocker announcement, even though it wasn't mentioned in the list of the ten in the original TV-to-DVD initiative press release. We knew it *had* to be coming in some form. Uni choose to MAKE it a surprise, though, and not leak it in any way until their announcement was ready.

The same with these three announcements. Perhaps I heard a whisper about Monk that was entirely discountable, but other than that there were no lead-ins. Just a surprise announcement yesterday.

I wonder what OTHER surprises Universal has for us in the TV-to-DVD genre?

Whoops...I see I've been rambling on again. Sorry about that. I'll get off my soapbox now!

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member

A) To watch them at your convenience,

B) To be able to see them long after they stop playing regularly on TV,

C) To see them in their original uncut form, instead of having more and more snipped out to squeeze in another commercial,

and D) For any extras that might be on the disc.

Gee, just because a song plays on the radio every once in a while, doesn't mean I pass up on buying the album!

Sean Aaron

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean Aaron
I'm still waiting for Series 2 of Law and Order; there's no way I'm going to spend £10 for one episode of the other series -- a whole season? Sure, but not piecemeal. They should do polls if they want a feel for the demand, but a one-off with no promise of future episodes I think is a poor way to gauge demand.

JamieD

Supporting Actor
I really hope they release subsequent season sets as well. I bought Season 1 the day it was released. A great show, and a decent set. (I was thrilled with image quality, but I was happy to have it!)

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
This just seems to be setting them up to fail. How many people are willing to commit $20 for just one episode when they see Fox shows next to them at $80 for a full season? I mean, I really like this show, but I can't deviate from the full season model that I have enjoyed so much. Especially if this leads into the dreaded "greatest hits" concept.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
I will pick up the Criminal Intent pilot, since I'm completely hooked on the series, but if they don't follow the pilot with a full season set, that'll be it for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks