What's new

Latest Windows fix can cause slowdown (1 Viewer)

todd stone

Screenwriter
Windows update users and prudent sys admins might have installed the latest Windows patch without a thought. That might not have been such a good idea. The patch is meant to fix a hole in Windows Messaging but can end up causing a severe performance degradation.

If you have Windows Update running on automatic and you're experiencing a nasty slowdown on your system, you might want to try removing patch 811493. Users with the performance problems report that removing the patch fixes things.

The patch fixes a relatively minor security problem where an attacker would have to have physical access to the machine.

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
Todd -

I've found that update, but I can't figure out how to remove it.

Also, do you have a source for this information?

Thanks,

Jon

Marc_E

Supporting Actor
My new 3.06ghz HT PC started lagging and my wife definitely noticed it. BIG delay when starting almost any application (especially outlook express). I removed it after read it on Yahoo news and it runs great ever since. Fast as it used to. Just make sure whenever autoupdate updates you make sure it doesn't put it back (already did this to me once).
Marc

DanaA

Screenwriter
It most definitely slowed down the opening of applications on my computer, although it was inconsistent in this regard. It became very annoying. Hence, now removed. Everything is back to normal. Didn't know why the system had slowed down the previous couple of days until I read about it on another forum. Can't figure out why it affects certain computers and not others.

Users who are viewing this thread