What's new

Latest sealed sub complete... (1 Viewer)

TerryC

Stunt Coordinator
Here is my latest sub. It's 3.88ft3 sealed. Uses 3/4 inch MDF all around and doubled up for front baffle. Has two internal braces. Has Formica Gloss black Laminate and Parts Express Black Chrome Coned Feet.
I have yet to listen to it in its completed form but the prototype sounded wonderful. If you do a search on my name you'll be able to pull up some RTA graphs as well on the Prototypes in room response that I did a few weeks back.
glosssubgrill.jpg

glosssubfront.jpg

glosssubbottom.jpg

glosssubinterior.jpg

Terry

TerryC

Stunt Coordinator
Used my @home webspace instead. It uses a Tempest Driver.
If I did it over again I'd use the Satin black Formica instead only because of the finger prints. This would go very well with some DefTech speakers though.
Regards
Terry

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
Looks damn nice Terry! Congrats on such a sweet looking and I'm sure sweet sounding sub.
Dean
------------------

TerryC

Stunt Coordinator
Magnus,
Butt joined, laminate trimmer on router for a 90 degree flush cut and then filed on a 45 degree angle with a plastic hand file(file is made of metal to file plastic not made of plastic
wink.gif
).
Frank,
Yes here are some comparisons. It performs surprisingly well for a sealed sub. Take a look at the prototypes comparison to my ported Mass. This sub still kicks ass compared to almost all commercial in a relatively small package and comes very close to a proven performer as in the Mass.
goodcorner.jpg

Red-Sealed Tempest Max SPL
Pink-Ported Mass Max SPL
Blue/pink-Temp and Mass without touching the volume
lis.jpg

Heres how they compared to each other with Lost in Space calibrated a little over reference.
Julian,
Cut Laminate to rough size. Apply contact cement to both surface of sub and laminate. Allow glue to semi dry. Position laminate on surface with some sort of spacers(wood stripes)so glue does not touch. Once positioned remove spacers. Use "J" roller for secure bond. Cut with Flush cut laminate bit on router. Hand File either 90 degree if another piece of laminate is going to butt up to it or if its already butted up with another piece file at 45 degree angle. Great thing about laminate and contact cement is if you get any on the good part of the laminate (you will) it just rubs off when partially dry.
Terry

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Terry: Nice job! It must look great in your HT and that laminate along with the size must pass the WAF. Professional looking job :)

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Beautiful, Terry. And that was your first time working with that laminate? Nice. Perfect,actually.
Which Formica was it, and was there a more maleable grade which might work over radiused corners,etc.? ThomasW advises it would still need some heating to bend.

Brett W

Agent
That really is a nice piece.A sub is the first thing I want to do when I move out of my current apartment. The posts like this are what is great about this site, inspirational AND helpful.
- Brett

TerryC

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys for all the positive comments!
Kevin Kloet
I bought the Formica special order from Home Depot. It was $39.99 for a 4 X 8 piece. Came rolled up in an easy to manage 15" X 15" X 50" box.
Jones_Rush
Yes those are the ones. As for sonic differences I'm skeptical, appearance was my only reason.
Jack Gilvey
First time. Very easy and wouldn't say its difficult at all. As for the radiused corners. I'd be surprised if a novice/beginner would be able to make a 1/2 round radius even with heating. Might need to look elsewhere?
Patrick Sun
Parts Express. Was about $2.95 for 12 of them. They have two sizes, I used the larger ones.
Brian Steeves
100% correct. :) Yours was the one that gave me the inspiration to do one this way. Thanks!
Terry

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks