What's new

Late Spring due 5/9 and still no discount from Amazon? (1 Viewer)

Rod

Agent
Late Spring is coming out in less than a week and Amazon still has it listed at full price. Usually we are able to pre-order at a discount this close to release. Even Deep Discount DVD has only a marginal discount. Is this the start of some new pricing policy for Criterion titles? Are they trying to pressure their distributors toward a higher price point?

-Rod

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Late Spring appears to be some special case. All other Criterion preorders are available with a 29% discount (down 1% from the usual 30%). Lots of other titles (Buena Vista) are also on Amazon for the full MSRP.

Weird.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
I've noticed a few recent Criterion titles not getting a discount on Amazon. METROPOLITAN was full price up to the week of it's release, so I ordered it for $10 less from Barnes and Noble.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Late Spring is now $27.99 at Amazon.

And is it just me, or has Criterion done a very poor job at advertising this one. Why is it only today that I hear that one of the extras is Wim Wenders excellent Ozu documentary TOKYO GA? That film alone is worthy of a Criterion release, but to have it along with LATE SPRING??? A great set.

I've never seen SPRING (not that I haven't wanted to, but I've never been able to find it) but will be buying it, just for TOKYO.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Jon, it's been part of the original announcement, and always part of the Special Features page of Late Spring on criterionco.com.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member

I saw that, finally.

But there has been a lot of talk, among Wenders fans, wanting TOKYO GA on DVD. At one time, Anchor Bay was going to be releasing it. But, even Wenders doesn't know what happened (he recorded commentary tracks and supplied remastered versions of all his films to them but they haven't released them).

It is a big enough film that I'm surprised they just had it as an extra, and not released it on its own. Sort of like if they released the doc about Herzog BURDEN OF DREAMS (which they released on its own) as an extra on another Herzog film. (And actually, now that I remember, Herzog even makes a cameo in TOKYO GA)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zionaesthetic
Recent bookmarks