What's new

Last of the Mohicans music score (1 Viewer)

Ben_J_L

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone know who did what part of the score in this film. I heard that 2 people did it as Mann fell out with Trevor Jones or something.
There are 2 distinct musical sounds, the sort of Irish dance dum, dum dum dum etc, then there is the big grand orchestral piece.

Ben_J_L

Stunt Coordinator
Believe it or not, one of the things that influenced my purchase was the musical score.
Trevor Jones' Cliffhanger score is more than a bit similar in my view.

Guy Martin

Second Unit
According to this trivia item at imdb
Link Removed
Trevor Jones was the original composer and left the project voer creative differences with Michael Mann. Randy Edelman then took over.
I dug out my copy of the score CD. According to the liner notes the following tracks (the first nine on the CD) are by Jones:
1) Main Title
2) Elk Hunt
3) The Kiss
4) The Glade Part II
5) Fort Battle
6) Promentory
7) Munro's office/ stockade
8) Massacre/ Canoes
9) Top of the World
And the remaining six tracks are by Edelman:
10) The Courier
11) Cora
12) River Walk and Discovery
13) Parlay
14) The British Arrival
15) Pieces of a Story
And the sixteenth track is "I Will Follow You" by Irish folk group Clannad which played in the scene after the waterfall when Hawkeye, Uncas andChingachook track Magwa and the kidnapped women. However this track has been removed from the "Director's Edition" of the film which is the only version available on DVD.
- Guy

Ben_J_L

Stunt Coordinator
Well i'm in the UK, the R2 copy has just been released, its the theatrical cut, not the R1 directors cut.
Its an OK disk though.

Jon_B

Screenwriter
I actually got to hear the musical score before I saw the movie. After listening to it, I had to see what this movie was about. Excellent movie.
icon14.gif

Jon

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
the R2 copy has just been released, its the theatrical cut, not the R1 directors cut.
Don't sweat it, Ben. IMO, the theatrical cut is better. The aditional scenes in the DC are cool, but there are some parts of the theatrical cut I really miss.
Rob
------------------
"That suits me down to the ground."

Scott H

Supporting Actor
Daniel Lanois contributed music as well, and is credited as "Additional Music".
While more known for his producing albums for the likes of Brian Eno, Emmylou Harris, Joe Henry, Willie Nelson, U2 (including The Joshua Tree) and even Luscious Jackson, he has produced a number of film soundtracks including Philadelphia, Trainspotting and Good Will Hunting and composed for films such as Sling Blade and For All Mankind. He has also released his own albums.
------------------
My DVD Library
Runaway production? No thanks. Where I've filmed, benefiting local economies: AL, CA, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MN, MO, MT, NV, OH, OR, TX, WA, WY.
[Edited last by Scott H on November 05, 2001 at 11:33 PM]

Tom-K

Stunt Coordinator
The theatrical cut is way better than the Directors cut. To many useless seens that extend the movie for no good reason. Also should of never removed the "I will find you" piece from the DC.

Gruson

Second Unit
I actually heard Mann hired both composers to score it (without each of them knowing they were competing) and then he used the best parts from each composer for different scenes.
Trevor Jones was not happy about this....
Anyway, I LOVE this soundtrack and I prefer the theatrical cut.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks