What's new

Laserdisc player problem (1 Viewer)

Corey Hancock

Stunt Coordinator
Hey all, there was a post on here last year about a problem with the CLD-D606 laserdisc player power supply. It said that something on the power supply board shorts out and causes the fuses to blow. The post also mentioned you could clip something on the board to correct this. My LD player is having this problem now. Anyone one know what I am talking about? Don't really want to spend the 100 bucks for a new board. I searched the forum, but couldn't find the post. Thanks for any help.

Ferroman

Auditioning
Real Name
Bill
Thanks for the information in the Forum. I have a Pioneer CLD-D406 which was in climate-controlled storage for three years, partly because the internal fuse blew (took it out and verified it with an ohmmeter) and I could not locate the right size at a Radio Shack store. The lower amperage replacement I bought there blew immediately. If it does this again with the proper fuse (I will buy several) then I will send it off to laserdiscservice.com as there is a short circuit somewhere. The player cost $300 mail order new and worked for about five or more years of mild service.

One advantage of the laserdisc is they don't have that #$&! Macrovision and can be copied to a DVD recorder unlike VHS movies. It would be nice to have a backup copy in DVD format - I don't resell or redistribute anything. My plasma TVs are "only" 720P but the HDMI upscaling converter on my JVC (LG really) DVD/VCR recorder makes even videotape look great to me. I used to think that would be a hopeless cause. I recall the "horizontal lines of resolution" metric cited back in the day: 240 for VHS, 300 for cable TV, 400 for Super VHS, 425 for laserdisc, and 480 for DVD, so DVDs had twice the resolution of VHS, however upscaled VHS still looks good even on 42" and 50" screens. Amazing! I will also send off my non-working Thorens TD-290 turntable for repair and then I will really be back in business! LPs do sound better than CDs.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I think this thread is the one linked above.

www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/91878/who-does-pioneer-laserdisc-player-repair

The Fuse Blowing is a common complaint about the 406 (and similar models CLD-D504/505//604/606/Elite 59) and the fix is apparently pretty simple assuming that's the only issue. Apprarently that model using a very cheap Arc Suppressor diode which can be bypassed by cutting a small wire. There used to step by step instructions around but i can't find them anymore.

I'd probably or email Kurtis (I'm assuming his email hasn't changed) and he can likley give you a quick online consult. He's the man on the East Coast for Pioneer LD expertise. Duncan Hunter at Bayview Electronics is the man on the West Coast at www.laserdiscservice.com/

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Point : don't just clip the wire. If that solves the problem, remove the bad diode & solder in a new one. Otherwise the next lightning strike in your area could fry your player!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks