What's new

LaserDisc fans: let's talk about killer PCM tracks (1 Viewer)

Chris Purvis

Stunt Coordinator
my favorite has to be the pcm track on apocalypse now - it is really a great sounding track. sadly, I'm saying goodbye to my laserdisc collection and all the related equipment because I've built a dedicated theater with a CRT projector, and frankly the laserdiscs video just can't hold up on a really big screen (especially compared to DVD - laserdiscs look better scaled & deinterlaced than regular TV, but an anamorphic DVD, even at 480p, absolutely blows them away in image quality). I wanted to keep them, but I just came to the realization that they would never get watched again and it would be better to pass them on to someone else who could enjoy them. :frowning:

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Aaron -you have a good memory. WSR Laser Magic 1988 gives it a 5 for picture & 3 for sound. 6 sides CAV. Out of 4 versions of 2001, the DD has the lowest rating - go figure
It has a 2.20:1 aspect ratio
the Criterion has 2.05:1

Roberto Carlo

Second Unit
My son just put on the THX Aladdin for the first time in at least two years. I'd forgotten how good that sounds, especially Robin Williams' "Prince Ali." It also looks pretty good. :emoji_thumbsup:

Brendon

Second Unit
The 25th Anniversary set was 3 discs, CAV housed in a "pizza box" with a full size, 4 page booklet. And very nice it is too! I've never had the chance to be aquainted with any of the other versions of the film on LD.

With all the talk of Apocalypse Now, is it worth my while trying to track down one of the LD copies as opposed to either of the DVD versions ? (Yes, I have seen both cuts before anyone starts exhalting or decrying Redux.)

I kept my Disney lasers, except for the reissue of The Little Mermaid, which I sold on Ebay once I got the DVD edition - in itself a good, rich 5.1 track, but I wish I could do a comparison with the LD PCM track. Oh well...

And one last one to toss into the mix: Pink Floyd, P.U.L.S.E. is one that sounds as good in straight stereo as it does with Pro Logic decoding.

Brendon

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
Anyhow, I want that 25th anniversary video transfer, in CLV, with PCM audio.
I'm not sure if it's Kosher to link to auctions here, but two folks are selling the Dolby Digital 2001 disc, which is the only disc that fits your bill as stated above.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1557098871
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1557885804
You'll notice that MGM decided (infuriatingly so) to use the exact same package design as their previous (pre-25th Anniversay) letterboxed effort, the one with the improper color timing. The only way to tell the difference is the small addition of the Dolby Digital symbol right above the Dolby Surround symbol. Normally, I'd have just passed these auction links along in a private message, but I thought the membership here might enjoy a brief tutorial on identifying the various editions of 2001 on laser by sight. ;)
-Lyle J.P.

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't worry too much about jitter, boys and girls. It's very difficult to assign a good/bad quality to a track based on jitter. Whatever detrimental effects jitter has shows up in the THD+N spec - if this is low enough, and it nearly always is, then jitter is not a problem.

GregK

Screenwriter
The WAR OF THE WORLDS remastered laserdisc has a very nice stereo matrix surround re-mix on the PCM tracks, with the FM tracks offering the original mono track plus a M&E track. CAV to boot! (No stereo re-mix or M&E track for the DVD!)
I had mentioned FORREST GUMP previously, and wanted to elaborate: The LD's DD 5.1 track sounds about the same as the DVD's DD 5.1 track. That is, an almost silent surround track, per the desire of the director if memory serves me right. But I've heard 2nd hand that the LD PCM track *was* re-mixed for by Paramount home video with active surrounds in mind. ..Can anyone confirm this 2nd hand rumor?

Mattias_ka

Supporting Actor
sadly, I'm saying goodbye to my laserdisc collection and all the related equipment because I've built a dedicated theater with a CRT projector, and frankly the laserdiscs video just can't hold up on a really big screen (especially compared to DVD - laserdiscs look better scaled & deinterlaced than regular TV, but an anamorphic DVD, even at 480p, absolutely blows them away in image quality).
To bad that you didn't get a better player. I have a Barco CRT that I use on a 90"(4:3) screen and laserdisc can look superb on it.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Yeah Chris he's right...a high-end player (you can get something from Japan for about $2k that will let your LDs shine to near DVD-levels...albiet non-anamorphic) can make a world of improvement to LD. We consumers in America have never really seen what these discs really look like. Apparently the Hi-vision players in Japan are built to such excellent tolerances that even NTSC laserdiscs look dramatically better when played on these players...many front-projection viewers swear they look as good as some of the best non-anamorphic DVDs.

That might be a worthy investment for you. Think about it. We can get you more info if you need it (on how to acquire these players and cost). I know I've got some info somewhere.

As for me, I have a Pioneer CLD Elite 99 and I'll just live with that...IMO *not* the best LD image out there by far despite the great reputation.

I wouldn't worry too much about jitter, boys and girls. It's very difficult to assign a good/bad quality to a track based on jitter. Whatever detrimental effects jitter has shows up in the THD+N spec - if this is low enough, and it nearly always is, then jitter is not a problem.
Running digital into the same DAC I can hear the difference in sound between my Sony 7000 DVD player and my Pioneer LD when playing red-book CDs. HDCD decoding still works on the DAC so there's no change in audio data. That leaves just one other thing...jitter...and it must be doing something audible for me to be able to tell the transports apart.

-dave

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Apocalypse Now is definitely a high water mark on LD PCM tracks, another outstanding track IMO is Twister....although the same can't be said for the film's "plot", but whatever, I like Helen Hunt.
Criterion's Spinal Tap PCM track sounds fantastic during the concert footage.

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
Out of 4 versions of 2001, the DD has the lowest rating - go figure
It has a 2.20:1 aspect ratio
the Criterion has 2.05:1
And the Criterion was approved by Stanley Kubrick (though I assume the 25th anniversary transfer was as well, considering his pickiness concerning home video).
Brendon: if you can find any of the widescreen LDs of Apocalypse Now, they are totally worth buying. There are two: one has a DD track and slightly less video noise, the other is a bit older, with a noisier transfer (not by much, and still excellent) and no DD track -- instead, it has an alternate, less agressive audio mix on the analog tracks.
No, wait, now I remember, there were THREE. And I'm looking for the third one: same as the original widescreen disc (no DD, slightly noisier video), but in CAV. I remember that Apocalypse Now won some LD quality award two years running (Viva Gold award?) with the same transfer, once in CLV and once in CAV. I've only ever seen one copy of the CAV disc, in 1993 or so.
Thanks for the links, Lyle. Unfortunately, I've overspent the LD budget this month (Sixth Sense Japanese import, Tron box, 32 Short Films About Glenn Gould, Hope and Glory, The Conversation, Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, Babe, Superman, Tin Cup, Bambi, Fantasia, Gremlins 2, It's a Wonderful Life 45th Anniversary, and Star Trek III...yeah, they were all really cheap, but a lot of really cheap discs is still a lot of money :D ), and even though the purchases were approved as budget-variances by the Department of Not Running Out of Money because of their exceptional cheapness, I'm still not allowed to buy any LDs for a while.
The good news is that I get to watch all of those. :)

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
Oh yeah, and I was really surprised at how good the Criterion This Is Spinal Tap sounded. Years of watching Embassy's cheap VHS tape will do that to you. ;)
Good call, Kevin M!

cwhite

Second Unit
I still have my Pioneer LD player(forgot the model number) simply because it's a better-sounding CD player than my DVD player(also a Pioneer). I bought Hunt For Red October on DVD and the LD version sounds far better with the music especially with the opening title sequence of male choir.

Mattias_ka

Supporting Actor
2 more killer PCM tracks are:
Boogie Nights Great track!
Urban cowboy SUPERB sounding track
No way in hell, will I get a DVD version of those 2 movies!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks