What's new

Large DVD Collections. Is it worth it? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member

Beth,

Great post :) I have a lot of the same titles in my film DVD collection as you mentioned. The movie-poster idea for your DVD room is :cool:

I also don't have any other "indulges" other than DVD-collecting but I don't have a very large collection compared to a lot of members here. I mainly collect TV/DVD sets from the late 50's - 80's. I have about 340 DVD's: 194 movies & 146 TV sets. I haven't joined the HD market yet. I rarely buy movie DVD's since I have most of what I'd want to keep and watch again. I'm still waiting for a few movies not yet released: "Invisible Stripes" (Bogey) and "I walk Alone" (Burt Lancaster/Kirk Douglas), etc.

I have double-dipped for a few movies when an SE or "anniversary" or Anamorphic edition is released, but I don't upgrade most of my movies. I recently upgraded "Double Indemnity" and "Red Dawn", as well as "The Sound of Music". My lastest movie buy was "Robinson Crusoe on Mars" (finally on DVD). I waited a long time for "The Sting" WS here in the states.

Cheers, Beth from Dallas, TX. Best for your new house! I like that EZDVD store in Australia :)

- Jeff Willis

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer

I have my DVDs in bins by genre and if I can't choose, I just go to a genre and start viewing alphabetically. (I keep the cases in a storage boxes. My box sets are kept together in a separate cabinet.)

This is cathartic...like a 12 step program.

"My name is Brett and I'm a DVD collector."

Drew Reiber

Supporting Actor
My collection is also quite large by many standards, but I find myself very happy and returning to a number of them quite often. If I don't need or want to keep them, I'll sell or trade them with stores or my friends. Now that I'm actually working in the DVD industry, it provides a lot of help in research and convenience. All in all, I would say it worked out in my case.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
I'm off to Target in a few minutes to pick up some Rubbermaid tubs and will do a full count tonight of how many titles I actually own. Looking forward to getting everything organized and sorted, and the stuff I want to keep, but won't watch anytime soon, packed and out of the way so I can concentrate on getting thru my unwatched piles.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
I basically buy DVDs/BDs for the following reasons:

1. I like to watch it over and over as a favorite.

2. I'm an amateur film historian, and as such I find value in owning films significant to film history.

3. A lesser film in a series to complete that series.

Otherwise, I don't buy it. I have become slightly more picky over the last few years, mostly with TV shows - very few are gonna be rewatched enough to justify their purchase.

Susan Nunes

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Susan Nunes
Of course DVDs are worth collecting. I still have between 400-500 VHS titles, most of those being classic movies of the silent era, 30s, and 40s. Many of the DVDs I have bought have been replacements for the old VHS films. I like to collect the classics. I do have a few more recent films, films I have seen in the theaters, and I like them enough to want my own copies.

I almost never buy a title of a movie I haven't seen, unless the film is a classic film. I have watched ALL of my movies, some many, many, many times.

I am also collecting vintage television shows, and I try to watch each episode at least once. After all, one can hardly see classic shows of the 1950s or even 1960s anymore on television.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks