What's new

Laptop to TV Connection ? (1 Viewer)

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Thinking of dropping DISH and cutting the cord.

We get a lot of channels through those digital/analog converters from a few years back, but with my main TV, the coax connector no longer works, so I use the S-video connection, this isn't an option on the two converters I bought.

Also with my laptop, my only video output is an SVGA port (it's a year old HP dv6).

Are there cables that convert from coax to S-video? Is there a way to connect my laptop to my TV where I need an SVGA input with S-video output? Possibly a USB connection?

Thanks for any replies.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Sam,

It turns out I do have an HDMI output from my laptop (just didn't know it, thought it was a USB port.

I'll do some shopping and hopefully get this issue settled.

Thanks again

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Good thing on the HDMI.

Depending on what drivers/set-up yours has(I have two DV6, one 3 yrs old on Vista and one going on 6 months old on 8)...

It might even already be setup for WiDi.(HP joined up with intel for early release of WiDi. There are some Vista HP that can do WiDi. I've not run into any 7 HP that can't do Widi, but they do exist.)

E

ethanjose

There are several ways to connect your laptop to a TV. In most cases, you’ll be able to connect one of these three connectors directly to your TV: VGA, DVI or HDMI. Additionally, unless you’re using an HDMI connector, you’ll need a 3.5mm audio RCA cable with a mini-jack splitter or a mini-jack connector in order to transmit an audio signal. In most cases you’ll need one of the following adapter/cable combinations.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks