What's new

Laptop or separate AV Receiver (preamp only) system (1 Viewer)

NicM

Auditioning
Real Name
Nic
I’m not sure how to present this, but I’m trying to decide which way is best and need expert advice:I have a home 5.1 recording studio setup running CuBase & Adobe Premier, and scrapped the idea of changing from my MOTU 1010 PCI sound card to a Presonus (Firewire) Firebox card – 4 in/ 6 out (to replace my desktop with a laptop). I also have 6 near-field Active studio speakers spare (4 KRK 5’s – 2 Alesis M1 Mk2’s and a 10 inch KRK sub). I bought the speakers a while back as I wasn’t sure how my four ‘original 1952 Harry Olson RCA LC-1A drivers would perform – needless to say ||| AWSOME’So my question re: a surround sound system for my lounge: (I also need to be able to review my recordings outside the studio).Do I purchase a second-hand el’cheapo laptop to run the system, or buy a separate AV Receiver (preamp only) system, and if the latter, which model would you suggest?Please advise.

Note: What is the point of running premier hi-end audio equipment in an acoustically untreated room.........

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
NicM said:
Note: What is the point of running premier hi-end audio equipment in an acoustically untreated room.........
Much in the same way that LCD displays have put plasma out of business, it serves to help further our understanding of the term 'irony.' And welcome to the forum Nic :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks