What's new

Laptop & external monitor problem (1 Viewer)

Ushabye

Projectionist
Real Name
Paul
I've tried connecting an external 19 inch monitor to my laptop. The Windows Xp loading page comes up fine, but after that nothing. The monitor just goes into sleep mode as if I've shut off the laptop. Any suggestions?

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
three things:

1. if it loads up fine until you get into windows this is most likely the problem. Go into your display settings and there should be two displays listed one on and one off, just turn the other one on and drag the two boxs so that they align similar to your monitors

2. there is a function key on your laptop (typically lower left labeled Fn) then there is a F key with a little picture of two monitors or it will say LCD/CRT, etc. hold down the Fn key and push the F key. This will cycle through the different views. laptop only -> monitor only -> laptop and monitor -> neither. this may be different per laptop.

3. your laptop may just not have the graphics capability to operate two monitors at once. I've seen a few like this and it seems to be more common in the low end recent laptops.

hope this helps you out some!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks