LAND OF THE GIANTS! - Where Are You?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Joe Kelly, Jun 17, 2006.

1. Regulus

Regulus Cinematographer

William Hughes
    There are rumors that LOTG will be available for sale on DVD beginning "Late January or February" of 2007 according to tvondvd.com (The Parent site to this board). We'll just have to sit back and be Patient.

(Just to put my Two Cents worth in, DO NOT BUY BOOTLEG DVDS! [​IMG] Just like the sale of Illegal Drugs, many "Bootleggers" have connections to Terrorist Groups. The next time you hear of a Terrorist Attack somewhere, if you bought a Pirated TV Show or Movie, Congratulations! You HELPED FINANCE that crime! [​IMG] )

2. Greg_M

Greg_M Screenwriter

I've been waiting a long time for this set. Only two seasons but I would guess Fox will break it up into four sets. Loved this show as a kid

3. Bill>Moore

Bill>Moore Second Unit

I'm confident the show will arrive in the near future. I'm patiently waiting.

4. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

Ditto on both!

5. michael_ks

michael_ks Screenwriter

Fox to release the entire series in one set sometime in 2007. If only they had done that in the first place with VTTBOTS and especially with "Time Tunnel"! Hopefully this will result in more series getting released this way.

http://tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=6728

6. Bob Hug

Bob Hug Screenwriter

Michael, I'm laughing as I read the article . . . this is one series where I want the early episodes, but not the whole series. I'd have to say that I'm in the minority on this one . . . season 1, volume 1 would have been fine for me (or even the complete season 1, for that matter). But, I'm guessing from feedback that they've received from fans, Amazon reviews, etc. that Fox probably knows that most Irwin Allen fans want these series in complete form. It'll be interesting to see what Fox does with the remainder of VTTBOTS after the release of season 2, volume 2.

7. michael_ks

michael_ks Screenwriter

Bob, I very nearly wrote that in my post. All I intended to get was the first 12 episodes in order to have the pilot ("The Crash"). I was willing to round out S1 sometime down the road watching for a future price drop. Oh well...let's just hope "The Fugitive" and others go the same route.

8. Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey Cinematographer

Soo.....wait.....no one wants the entire series of "Land of the Giants"?

Gord

9. Michael Alden

Michael Alden Supporting Actor

I do ! But then I collect entire series of most everything from the 60s.

10. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Producer

Sam Favate

I'd rather have the whole series than just a piece of it.

11. Harry-N

Harry-N Cinematographer

Harry N.

Well, I suspect there are a number of people who know that Irwin's pilots were always entertaining and exciting, and after that, the quality tended to tail off. Slower in some cases, faster in others.

LAND OF THE GIANTS is one I'd easily have bought the first bunch of for sure, and maybe waited for a deal on the balance of the episodes. Maybe FOX sensed this - several here have expressed just the same idea - and are working around it. "You want the first bunch - take 'em all!"

Harry

12. Bob Gu

Bob Gu Supporting Actor

Bob Gudera
    Wow, you guys are tough! I hope this complete series experiment is successful and continues. I was thinking of other, two season Fox shows and all I could think of was the western series, LANCER which, like GiIANTS, had 51 episodes and was on for the same two seasons, 1968-1970. But, I guess. LANCER is a real longshot for DVD release.

Why did Betty have to get preggers??

13. Tory

Tory -The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-

Tory

I never saw it but I will blind buy it as it sounds terribly interesting from a plot point and this kind of thinking deserves a reward.

14. Duane Alford

Duane Alford Second Unit

I do. And since it's the entire series, I'll buy it no matter what the cost. Now if it was just split season sets, I would have passed.

15. Richard_Gregory

Richard_Gregory Second Unit

It's strange; Fox have swung from one extreme - releasing half-season sets even though this means only a dozen or so episodes - because they obviously thought that sets for shows with big numbers of episodes would mean large sets with a big price that might put people off, to the other - a whopping great 51 episode box!

I can't help but wonder if Fox had some concerns that some customers might not buy every half-season of LOTG and have gone for a policy of getting those who only want a selection of episodes buy the lot in an "all or nothing" policy..

It's certainly a strange turn of events. Time Tunnel would have been a better candidate, with only 32 episodes, and one season - one set would have made sense...but we got two!

16. michael_ks

michael_ks Screenwriter

Just to clarify my position--I'm very happy for LOTG fans that the entire series is coming out and hope that this leads to future complete classic tv sets. It's ironic to me that of the 4 Irwin Allen shows, the one I least favor is the one to get the complete series release. And now it looks as though LOTG will be finished with long before I have my 8 "paperback sized" sets for VTTBOTS.

Bob and me just think it ironic that after lamenting the fact that with so many of our favorites being released piecemeal, the one show we were willing to own a "sampler" of gets accorded a full series release.

If that is their philosophy, it would then probably make better marketing sense to release S3 and S4 of VTTBOTS as one set as well.

17. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    well that's nice about Land of the Giants but I simple may not be purchasing another Fox Iwin Allen Series because of those Damn Flippers, I discovered another skipping disk issue on Disk 2 of Season 2 VTTBOTS, now too late to get an exchange I have to eat it. I simply refuse to buy anymore TV Product from Fox on flippers, all my flippers show excess wear and scratches even thou I take care of the disks. My other sets on DVD9 are pristine. Even Universal has gone back to DVD 9's. I'll simply have to Netflix the disks where the Fox Product is on DVD9.

18. Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis Producer

I'll get this set but I would have probably bought S1 only. Ironic, indeed [​IMG] Mike & Bob, I had the same thoughts when Gord announced this one. I see Gord's point, as he's got studio contacts. When reading this thread, it might be somewhat confusing to get the pulse of the vintage TV/DVD collector crowd. Sounds like another "vote" thread brewing. "Would you buy complete set releases or continue buying single-season sets?" For me, it would depend on the series, as I'd guess would be the case for almost everyone else here.

19. RickER

RickER Producer

Rick

Amen brother!
    I am tired of it too. And when you get a disc with 3 episodes on one side and 2 on the other thats not exactly taxing for them to use a DVD 9 in the first place!

(it seems it my job to always post after Jeff Willis!)

20. Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis Producer

Hey, guys, could you help me out here with the "flipper" thing? Is that where there are 2 discs mounted in the same slot of a set, where you have to remove one disc to remove the disc beneath it? Or is that referring to a DVD9 that's 2-sided? Just curious. I'd guess that it's 2-sided DVD9's .

"There may be worse things than posting after that guy, Jeff Willis. But watch out...he's a fanatic vintage TV/DVD collector [​IMG]"