LAND OF THE GIANTS! - Where Are You?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Joe Kelly, Jun 17, 2006.

1. michael_ks

michael_ks Screenwriter

2. Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis Producer

Didn't take long for someone to beat me to the post [​IMG] Thanks, Mike for getting the word to HTF fast. Sounds like it'll happen, we'll just wait for Gord/Dave's confirm at TSoD.

3. michael_ks

michael_ks Screenwriter

Sorry about that, Jeff...I'll try and restrain myself 10 minutes longer following the announcement for "Voyage" S2, vol. 2!

This is one case where I might appreciate the split season arrangement--time will tell. It's not my favorite IA series, in fact my order of preference for the 'big four' he developed falls exactly in line with the order in which they were produced. There's no denying though that the pilot episode was filmed with a great deal of lavish care--I believe it took eleven days to shoot it.

4. Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis Producer

10 minutes will be acceptable to the HTF Board [​IMG]

I agree on your IA series ranking. LOTJ wasn't my favorite one either but I will get V1 of this one and see how it's stood the test of time for me. Since I haven't seen this one in syndication in many years. it'll be a fresh view for me as well. I do remember some of it; that giant-sized paperclip to climb up the desks, etc.

5. Bob Hug

Bob Hug Screenwriter

I watched this faithfully about a dozen years ago when the Sci-Fi channel broadcast it in the mornings (I had a six week recuperation from a broken ankle). I thought the pilot was great . . . imaginative visuals and special effects within the context of a late 1960s TV series . . . and I enjoyed the early episodes so I'll at least get Volume 1. But for me, the show progressed into silliness (much like "Lost in Space") and the final straw was when Jonathan "Dr. Smith" Harris appeared as a giant "Pied Piper" type character.

6. michael_ks

michael_ks Screenwriter

Yes, that episode ("Pay the Piper") is in essence, LOTG's "Great Vegetable Rebellion". The series is remarkably even in S1 at least, just a bit repetitive in that the crewmates spend much of their time evading detection, which begins to wear thin by season 2.

Still, with the first volume (presumbably eps. 1-13) there is the sadistic girl who teases the crew in a 'toy town' (I still see her giggling and flicking matches), the hobo framed for murder and the giant who makes off with the Spindrift spaceship only to become a hapless victim of quicksand. And of course the aforementioned pilot ("The Crash") which has a mini-movie feel and a superb John(ny) Williams score. Some solid fun here as only Mr. Allen could deliver it.

7. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

Great news! Finally my 2nd favorite Irwin Allen show after VTTBOTS on DVD. Given the current Voyage schedule Season 2. Vol. 2 should be coming in February 2007 so I am guessing LOTG Season 1 Vol. 1 should be out in January 07 if this rumor turns out to be true which I think it will.

8. Joe Kelly

Joe Kelly Stunt Coordinator

JOE
    Hey everybody, thanks for sharing this great news about my favorite Irwin Allen TV show LAND OF THE GIANTS. Finally LOTG is coming to DVD, man I am excited, can't wait.

9. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

>>I was so angered at Columbia House over this issue that I'm actually happy they're out of business.
    --

Since when? I still recieve emails from them...

10. RickER

RickER Producer

Rick

The Columbia House TV Greats section went belly up. A friend of mine got LotG on DVD before they went under. They didnt advertise it much. I tried to get it but they acted like they didnt have it. But they did. I got Airwolf and some Perry Mason from that part of Columbia House myself.

11. Joe Kelly

JOE
    Maybe when the first volume of the 2nd season of "Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea" is released on DVD in a few weeks, the studio will officially announce the DVD release of LAND OF THE GIANTS (Would be great if they even included the upcoming LOTG DVD cover art in a flyer inside the VTTBOTS DVD case). This would be great news for us GIANTS fans.

12. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa

On Itunes now for $1.99 each

13. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

Ouch!! That will be quite a bit more then the sets coming out and thats not even figuring the quality loss.

14. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa

$38.99 for season 1 on Itunes for 25 episodes at 640x480 H264 encoded vds

15. Ian K McLachlan

Ian K McLachlan Stunt Coordinator

Ian Kenneth McLachlan

Sorry but there is no such leaflet.

16. LarryH

LarryH Supporting Actor

I suppose it's appropriate to view this series on a tiny iPod screen, but I'm ready to see it again on a real TV. Bring it on!

17. Bob Hug

Bob Hug Screenwriter

18. Joe Kelly

JOE
    Hey, I don't get it. Regarding the above post, are these legit authentic LOTG episodes? And if they are not, why are they allowed to be sold on Amazon? No matter either way, I'll wait for the official LOTG season sets release, partial or otherwise. HAPPY HALLOWEEN.

19. Joe Kelly

JOE
    Fox announced today the DVD release of Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea Season 2 Volume 2 on February 20, 2007. Was hoping we would have heard some official LAND OF THE GIANTS DVD release news by now. Has anybody heard anything?
    Thanks, Joe Kelly

20. Joe Kelly

JOE
    Just checking, has anyone heard any more news about the LAND OF THE GIANTS DVD release in 2007? HAPPY THANKSGIVING.