What's new

lack of HD DVD in B&M stores (1 Viewer)

James L White

Supporting Actor
more like no HD DVD's available localy :frowning:
Anyone know why stores like Wal-mart sale HDTVs yet haven't really jumped onto HD DVD ?

Archangel

Agent
Real Name
Jason
No idea. There is one Blu-ray title (like 5 copies) at my local walmart and like 5 selections at a semi-local larger city near me.

Best Buy, Target and Circuit City near me all have decent selections though.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
greetings

Lots of both at my local Wally world. All the big Electronic centers have plenty of both ...

Regards

Archangel

Agent
Real Name
Jason
Hit Walmart today and they had 4 copies of 300 on HD DVD and 4 copies each of 300, Ghost Rider and Bridge to Terabithia on Blu-ray.

I asked in electronics how they decide what to bring in and he said they don't have any say. They just display what is sent to them.

Romar Armas

Second Unit
Plenty of HD DVD and BR to be found where I am. The Wal Mart near me has had BR and HD DVD ever since I jumped on the HD formats. The Best Buy I go to currently has 2 sections full of HD DVDs and BRs on sale for $19.99 CAD. Too bad I already bought all the ones I wanted. :D

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Same here. My local BB, Walmart and Fry's have a substantial selection of both formats.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
My BB has an OK selection of HD and BD, but i wouldnt buy them. Way over priced! They do seem to carry mostly newer titles, not so much the older catalog titles.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
I've decided that Amazon is my best bet for HD-DVD. Almost every title is at least $5 less than the sale price at Best Buy and I get 2 day shipping free with my Prime membership, so it's even cheaper.

Matt Shiv

Agent
I have been considering jumping into the HD-DVD fray here lately and a lack of local retail to buy product from does make me slightly hesitant. I am one of those people that still actually loves to go out and pick things up in a store (old-fashioned I know!). I hate wanting a movie and then having to wait a week for it to show up in my mailbox.

I live in a very suburban area and Best Buy is about the only option for me. Circuit City to a lesser extent, but I checked them and they seemed to have a lot less selection in my local store.

It all came to a head the other day because I decided to buy the HD-DVD/DVD combo disc for "Hot Fuzz." I was thinking that eventually I would have an HD player to watch it on and I refuse to support Wal-Mart to buy their exclusive standard dvd bonus disc (which is the only way to get all the bonus features from the R2 disc on standard dvd). The HD-DVD has all the bonus features and the DVD side would make it so I could enjoy the movie in the meantime.

On the night of release, my Best Buy was sold out of HD-DVD copies of the movie. They even looked pretty wiped out of the regular dvd's. Then I drove to Circuit City and they didn't have any copies either. That was it. No other places to go check.

When I went back to BB last night, they had restocked and I was able to buy it there, but I guess that even the stores carrying HD-DVDs aren't bringing in very many copies so that can make release week shopping frustrating.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Are you tracking release dates much? If you place Amazon pre-orders for new releases, I understand from both a friend and anecdotal comments here on the Forum that those often ship on Monday and, depending upon where you are, guys often get them on street date.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Only 1 of 3 Wal-Mart stores in my immediate area carries HD or BR titles, and only two or three titles at that. For the B&M option, I have to shop at Best Buy or Hastings. There's a better selection of HD-DVDs at Best Buy and they're $5-7 cheaper than Hastings, but Hastings does carry the occasional used HD-DVD for $14. With Hastings basically pledging their future sole support of BR a few weeks back their HD-DVD titles have began to dwindle while the BR section grows by leaps and bounds. It is funny they do this though, because they are selling HD-DVDs at a rate of 2:1 over BR.

The lack of HD-DVD titles doesn't necessarily worry me but I have cut back on HD-DVD purchases. My last purchase was DVE-HD and before that the Matrix set. My cutting back on buying is more of a condition of financial constraints than worrying about investing into a format which may or may not become obsolete next year.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Here

From what I got out of this a few weeks ago, Hastings is still going to carry both formats but is leaning towards BR which is already becoming evident in my local store.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks