What's new

La Dolce Vita - is it coming? (1 Viewer)

Brian PB

Supporting Actor
Re: Larry House's post above:

In the new brochure announcing (NYC's) Film Forum's Summer/Fall Screening Schedule, they advertise a "NEW 35mm PRINT!" for the July 23rd-August 5th run of La Dolce vita.

At the bottom of the listing are the words A PARAMOUNT RELEASE.

So, if Paramount holds both theatrical distribution rights and video distribution rights, we very well could see a Paramount DVD (which would undoubtedly derive from an NTSC master using the elements utilized for the new 35mm print). This may also explain why Koch Lorber had no access to the best elements for their transfer. Stay tuned ...

Brian PB

Supporting Actor
I sent Koch Lorber VP and La Dolce vita DVD producer Tim Hinsley the following email today:
So it appears there's not much point in waiting for a Paramount DVD release.

[This was originally posted at the DVD Talk Forum, but it seemed important enough to cross-post at HTF.]

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter

Paramount...is being put on notice by the theatrical rights holders.

Okay, I don't think I get it here.

Paramount IS the theatrical rights holders of LA DOLCE VITA in the United States. They inherited these rights when they purchased the Republic Pictures library, who in turn have owned them for over 30 years, beginning in their previous incarnation as National Telefilm Associates.

Now, unless that longtime deal has been voided by, say, the Italian rights holders (which the rep did not make any reference to), this statement effectively means that Paramount has put itself on notice. And that statement makes little sense.

It sounds to me like Koch Lorber is exploiting a loophole and trying to make themselves look like a David fighting a Goliath. This letter is hardly the last word on this matter.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
As someone who has had the Medusa DVD for quite a while now, all I can do is yawn. I really don't understand the impulse to hope for something good from Koch-Lorber. Their The Umbrellas of Cherbourg DVD is inferior to the 2 DVD R2 French version, and I seriously doubt that they will produce a recent-vintage-Criterion-quality DVD any time soon.

Buy the Medusa, forget about K-L and get on with your lives.

Ted

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez

I recently received a one-disc screener of the K-L release and noticed what appears to be a mis-flagged MPEG-2 stream, which may pose probs with viewers who have prog scan players (interlacing artifacts, etc.).

Prob looks very similar - if not identical - to the prob plaguing the recent Meaning of Life disc from Universal (a replacement disc was produced by Universal - separate thread elsewhere on this forum).

Before jumping to conclusions re the final product, I will e-mail Tim at K-L and see what's going on. What I received was not the final product.

Cheers,

JayHM

Stunt Coordinator
Are you sure you're not just seeing the artifacts caused by PAL>NTSC conversion? (ghosting, etc.)

On the other hand, if they converted it to 29.97 with a pulldown, there wouldn't be any ghosting, though interlace artifacts would be visible on progressive monitors. Can you tell if the frame rate is 24 or 29.97?

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez

I was delighted to receive an e-mail reply back from Tim Hinsley at Koch Entertainment. They are aware of the 3:2 flag/progressive scan prob on the screeners sent out and are addressing it for the final release.

Cheers,

JayHM

Stunt Coordinator

Based on this, I'd say the MPEG2 stream on this DVD must be 29.97fps with a pulldown. If they did this correctly, there should be no ghosting artifacts caused by the conversion from PAL. Good news.

Brian PB

Supporting Actor
Two updates on the upcoming La Dolce vita release posted by Koch Lorber VP Tim Hinsley at the DVD Talk Forum:

As I posted elsewhere, the striking thing is that Koch Lorber has listened to potential consumers who said that they would not buy this release if it demonstrated the 4% PAL speedup, ghosting artifacts, and altered pitch. Bravo.

I look forward to checking out this release.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I'd say that's being responsive to criticism! :emoji_thumbsup:

And I'm thrilled about the "Los Olvidados" news, and am looking forward to retiring my Films-sans-frontiers disc of this film. I hope they include the alternate ending, if only for a larf, and it would be great to see something like, oh I don't know, "Las Hurdes" (with eng. subs!!!) as a very special extra feature!

There's a wealth of Mexican-era Bunuel that needs to come out - maybe Koch is gonna do it?

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
I read that earlier, and I'm glad they're taking the time to do it properly.

I'm anxiously awaiting this DVD, as it's one of Fellini's best works.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I'm over the moon about the news on Jacques Demy's Donkey Skin being in the works. If you're patient enough. it seems all good things come in time.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
They delayed this two weeks :frowning: But on the other hand, this will be definitely worth the wait!

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
The film is now showing in Seattle, at the Varsity, starting yesterday, through this week. The transfer is OUTSTANDING for a film of this age, and the movie itself is incredible. It was my first time seeing it; I urge everyone in Seattle to see it on the big screen; it's a terrific theatrical experience. Can't wait to own this one.

Brian PB

Supporting Actor

Just to be clear: Paramount is the theatrical distributor for La Dolce vita, and the DVD is being produced by Koch Lorber (which controls the video rights), based on a different set of elements. So the DVD may look either better, worse, or the same as what you saw in the theater.

And a minor quibble: "transfer" usually refers to a digital representation of film elements; I believe the elements used for the theatrical print have undergone some restoration, which is one reason the print looks so good. I hope to see it in the theater tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks