What's new

L.A. Story Special Edition announced from Lion's Gate on June 13th (1 Viewer)

Nicholas Vargo

Second Unit
Real Name
Nicholas Vargo
You heard correctly. Davis DVD has announced that L.A. Story will finally have an SE release on June 13th from Lion's Gate. Specs are as follows:

*New Anamorphic Widescreen Transfer
*Soundtrack Remastered in Dolby Digital 5.1
*New Making-of documentary "The Story of L.A. Story"
*Deleted Scenes (featuring never before seen footage featuring John Lithgow and Scott Bakula)
*Outtakes
*"The LA of L.A. Story" interactive map of filming sites
*Original 1991 Marketing Materials
*Trailers

Can't wait until June 13th when I can finally get rid of my old non-anamorphic copy.

Craig Sherman

Stunt Coordinator
Will the deleted scene include Lithgow's introduction as seen when it aired originally on Showtime? It was pretty funny.

Still, I hate double-dipping when the HD equivalent may have these features at some point.

Nicholas Vargo

Second Unit
Real Name
Nicholas Vargo
Not sure actually. What I have posted here is exactly what is posted at Davis DVD. Make no mistake that this is legit, as they posted a cap of the cover next to the info. The curiousity I have is what Scott Bakula shot on this film. I can't wait to check that out. My other hope is that they retain the original trailer for the film, even if it's the same one that was on the current Artisan release.

Sure, there's no commentary, but that's something I can let slide because the doc will probably be a lot better anyway. Still, I'm there June 13th.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
According to efilmcritic, the Lithgow stuff is supposed to be in there. Hope they're right.

Rhoq

Supporting Actor
I was thinking about picking up the current edition. I'm glad that I've waited this long. A few more months won't hurt.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
"I'll have a double decafinated half-caf - with a twist of lemon."

I have always loved that line for some reason. Glad to see that this gem is getting a SE at last.

"I have to admit that when I look at a painting like this, I become emotionally... erect." :D :emoji_thumbsup:

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor

Actually he said "I'll have a half double decafinated half-caf - with a twist of lemon."

"You think with a financial statement like zis, you can have ze duck?!"

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
Guess I'm headed down to the Fourth Reich Bank of Hamburg to get money to buy this DVD.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Actually, that commentary doesn't seem to exist. It;slisted on the old package, but isn't actually on there as far as I can tell.

Sean Richardson

Stunt Coordinator

I like people who answer their own question, though I'm a little confused about why it was issued at least once, and seemingly twice, with that misleading commentary note on the packaging. I guess it'll be nice to have accurate packaging, but it would be nice to have that commentary (I assume it was never actually recorded, why else would it not be on this disc?).

Nicholas Vargo

Second Unit
Real Name
Nicholas Vargo
I have obtained a copy of the "L.A. Story" special edition.

Anyway, here are the sordid details...

Video: Fine looking presentation; still some grain present, but the anamorphic enhancement helps to make it look the best it ever has on home video, period. In fact, this is the first time that I've seen the TriStar logo at the very beginning of the film.

Audio: Sounds fine in 5.1, although it won't rock your world either. Dialogue is crisp and clear, the .LFE kicks in most times during Peter Melnick's wonderful score, but also during the earthquake scene as well. Just so you know, right after the roller skating scene in the musuem, when Harris and Ariel are laughing, you hear a voice-over line that has never been heard before. He says "This is my way of keeping busy..." and the rest of the v.o. lines after that have always been in the movie: "I call it performance art, but my friend Ariel calls it 'wasting time.' History will decide." It's an excellent mix. The 2-channel mix is not as good, as it lacks the fidelity of the 5.1 mix. It still works well even if you don't have the compatibility for 5.1 setup. Both mixes do their job well, but the 5.1 is the recommended choice.

Menus: These are fine animated menus, which center around the freeway signs. They also give you previews of what to expect not only from the movie, but the DVD extras as well.

Extras: We start with the new documentary "The Story of L.A. Story," which runs about 12 1/2 minutes long. There are interviews with director Mick Jackson, Steve Martin, and producer Daniel Melnick. Out of these interviews, only Melnick's is recent, while Jackson and Martin are in vintage interviews. There are some good tidbits, but that's about it. Oh, yeah, it's also presented in anamorphic widescreen as well.

We then move on to "The L.A. of L.A. Story." Another menu pops up with an intro by production designer Lawrence Miller. This section has a total of 12 featurettes that run from 1-2 minutes, 3 of them alone deal with "The Ambassador Hotel." In fact, in that section alone, you are treated to a video intro by Miller before being presented with another menu featuring those three featurettes. All 12 featurettes are presented in anamorphic widescreen.

Next up is the "1991 E.P.K." This is the same one that was on the original Artisan release. If you have that release, then it's exactly the same one. It runs 5 1/2 minutes.

Next up is "Trailers and TV Spots." Here, you get the teaser trailer, the theatrical trailer, and six TV Spots. Not a bad assortment at all. On the record, the theatrical trailer is the same one on the Artisan release. Also in this menu, you'll find the DVD credits as well.

Now, last but not least, we get to what I think is the bread and butter of this release: The Deleted Scenes and Outtakes. Here, you'll find 18 deleted scenes (2 of these are outtakes). Although they are presented in non-anamorphic widescreen, they give you an idea of what could have been if they could've made a longer movie. John Lithgow is uproarious in a couple of these scenes as Harry Zell, the agent we hear about, although never see in the final cut. Scott Bakula is also in a couple of other scenes as a boxer who lives next door to Harris. Glad they removed it, but it remains interesting to see this other subplot. All deleted scenes are worth watching more than once, as they are very interesting, especially the Zell material and the film's original ending as well.

Things wrap up with trailers for other Lion's Gate product, including Swimming with Sharks, A Good Woman and Moonlighting.

This is a fine SE release, just wanted to post my own personal review of it. Especially since this is probably an exclusive. At last check, there was no official review. Then again, I haven't checked today, so I could be wrong, but I felt like giving my thoughts on it.

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor
Great! Definitely will get this. Now when will they get around to an SE of All of Me with Steve Martin and Lily Tomlin?

Nicholas Vargo

Second Unit
Real Name
Nicholas Vargo
Anyone pick it up yet? I'm curious to see if anyone agreed with my sentiments. Like I said, I think it's a fine disc. What do you think?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks