What's new

KV-32HS510 - Just got it and It's AWESOME (1 Viewer)

Bill Will

Screenwriter
I don't really know much about the 500 or the 510 but Circuit city has the specs. up on their website for both of them. If you can believe CC specs. On their specs. I noticed that the 500 was listed as having a 15 watt subwoofer & nothing about any subwoofer on the 510? This might be of intrest to people who were not planning on hooking the set up to a receiver.

Meaux

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Meaux
Well it's good to hear all these positive waves, because today I got tired of lookin and bought the 36HS500. What I didn't think of to ask was the weight of this dang thing!
Anyway, it's in the foyer now, still in the box, and I'm wheeling out my 2yr.old Toshiba 16:9 50H81 to the dining room waiting on the repair man. The Sony sure looked good in the store.

Back to Sony....

Mark Hedges

Second Unit
I don't really worry about the built in sound since I (like most people with HD sets, I suspect) am using my surround system for sound.

Daniel - I am using a Sony DVP-NC655P progressive scan player. I am very pleased with it so far. I can measure the 2.35:1 screen size tonight but I would guess it would be about 25" since the 16:9 size is about 30".

Mark

Victor_W

Agent
I was wondering for all you guys that have the HS500, HS510, or XBR800.... do any of you use ANALOG cable and VCR connections on the TV? Is the quality of the picture really bad from a digital signal?

Thanks,

Vic

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
I can give you a little info Victor. From my experience (which is limited) most analog signals don't look very good on a HDTV. In particular a regular cable signal looks pretty grainy. Some of the newest sets may be better at upconverting nowadays but as of a year ago I saw a pretty ugly pixelated image when watching regular cable on an HDTV. Of course everything changes when your talking about component cables and a progressive signal. :)

Dan.B

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
I picked up a KV34-HS510 yesterday for 1900 from Tweeter. I also fired up SWII to check it out. Great picture.

I notice there are 3-4 different picture palettes: Vivid, Movie, Standard and Sports. Do people actually change or like 1 the best.

What is this "Red Push" adjustment I need to do???

I will be getting HD Cable soon, and I can't wait to see what it looks like...

Jeremy Tebo

Stunt Coordinator
Argh! The HTF website farted on me when I posted my original reply, so here is a shorter version-

I got a 36HS500 about 6 months ago, and I really love it.

I've got digital cable hooked up, and it looks very nice, especially the upper movie channels, which are supposedly "real digital." (?) PS2 looks amazing, as does my p-scan dvd player. I'm not sure how much difference the p-scan makes since the tv can upconvert, but I did notice an artifact or two when I used my PS2 for DVD.

I don't really notice much difference when I switch between DRC modes, so I just leave it in Cinemotion. That is supposed to upconvert 480i to 480p or something. (?)

Also, I leave the picture palette on standard. Vivid is a bit too bright unless you want to brighten up a dark video game. That, and I think I would get a sunburn. :)

I've heard about the "red push" also, but haven't gotten ambitious enough to try and fix it. Any suggestions? It looks fine to me.

HDTV looks really sweet, though I have only seen it on the floor demo when I bought mine. Discovery HD looks awesome. Eventually I'll switch to satellite, or at least get an OTA reciever. (We've got one HDTV station up now, more to follow)

Ok, so this wasn't much shorter than the original, but what the heck, I'm at work anyway. :)

Jeremy Tebo

Stunt Coordinator
On a side note, when I went to sonystyle.com and compared the 500 to the 510, (36") one big difference was that the 510 does not have 16:9 enhanced mode, for whatever that is worth. However, it does have the advantage of 1 more component input than the 500. I'm sure either one will be great for you.

Mitch_B

Grip
Jeremy,

FYI - My 32HS510 does indeed have the 16:9 enhanced mode which can be set to "on" or "Auto". I suspect that the 36HS510 would also have that feature.

Thanks.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
All Sony WEGAs of 27 inches and up, whether HD-capable or not, have a 16:9 raster-collapse mode.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
If you go on Sony's website www.sonystyle.com you can compare the 500 & the 510 & it does list the 510 as having the "Squeeze Trick" Also while I was poking around on it I noticed that when you "compare" models a lot of the "NEW" Sony models will also come up that are not listed on the site yet. See my post under NEW SONY MODELS.

Jeremy Tebo

Stunt Coordinator
Hmmm, I still don't see on sonystyle.com where it shows 16:9 enhanced mode or "squeeze trick" for the 510, but if you own it and say it has the option, then I believe you. It looks like now they took the 500 off the site. When I compared them before, that was just a feature that I noticed was absent on the 510. I really don't care too much, I just wondered why they are selling the 510 for $200 less than the 500. I'm sure they are just about the same. Anyway, I got my 500 for about 40% off retail from a friend who works for an electronics store. :)

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Jeremy,

GO TO www.sonystyle.com

Click televisions
Click 20" to 34"
Scroll down & click KV-32HS500
Scroll down & check the COMPARE box on the KV-32HS510
Go back to the top of the page & click COMPARE SELECTED

That will bring up the comparison chart for both of them. If you scroll down near the bottom of the chart you will see the feature 16:9 Enhanced Mode & the chart says YES for both of them.

Jeremy Tebo

Stunt Coordinator
Sure enough, you're right... I wasn't looking at the "little guys" though, I was looking at the 36"ers. (Yes, I'm kidding)

The site lists 16:9 enhanced mode under "special features", and they show a "-", which is probably why I thought it didn't have it. Down the page a bit, they also have it listed under "video" with a "yes." I was probably looking at the first one, thus the confusion.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
I've all but decided upon the KV-36HS510 for my next TV purchase (end of summer).... I've been doing some pretty intensive comparing, and nothing I've seen comes close. Is there any reason I should reconsider? This question is directed at those of you who have the set.... Are there any shortcomings to speak of?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member

If the 510 didn't have a 16:9 mode for displaying HD images, it wouldn't qualify as an "HD-capable" set. In addition, all Sony WEGAs of 27 inches and up (FV-, HS-, HV-, and XBR-series) collapse the raster for 16:9 DVD sources.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Jeff, what exactly does the XBR feature that the 510 is lacking? I was under the impression that this latest model incorporates XBR technology... but I don't presume to be an expert in such matters.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks