What's new

KV-32HS510 - Just got it and It's AWESOME (1 Viewer)

Mitch_B

Grip
Hi all - The Good Guys just got the new SONY models in and I was able to pick up the 32HS510 for $1,199 after wheeling and dealing on a price match with goodgys.com. Picked it up yesterday, installed and configured it and it is truly awesome.

I did the standard adjustments for the Red Push which still exists and probably always will with SONY tubes. I used Avia to calibrate and tweak geometry, however there was not much geometry to correct and this is why I am so happy. I am such a stickler for geometry. This set is AWESOME!!! I will recalibrate after 100 hours of normal use.

This is my first HDTV so I had to buy a Progressive Scan DVD player which turned out to be the Denon DVD-900 with the de-interlacing technology. WOW!!! I put the 100% digital SW Episode II DVD in and my jaw dropped. I'm not sure that I will be able to hang with the family or go to work for a while. HEH HEH HEH...

Please feel free to ask any questions as this is a new model just getting out into the stores. Call this a FAQ thread if you might.

CHEERS!!!

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
Jus wonderin...since you mentioned it...if a HDTV has 3:2 pulldown...then you dont really need a Progressive DVD Player right?

Mitch_B

Grip
Joshua,

Yes, it does do 3:2 pulldown. Does that really mean that I do not need a Pro Scan DVD player?

Please join this thread with your opinions and/or, more importantly, the facts. I'd like to know.

Thanks...

MitchB,

I'm interested in upgrading to the HS510 from an older XBR250. How many HD inputs does the HS510 have? Specifically, does the HS510 have enough inputs for at least to HD component signals, plus a DVI input?

I'd like to hook up a progressive scan DVD, an XBox with the HD pack, and an HDTV cable STB. Can I do it with the HS510?

Thanks in advance.

Mitch_B

Grip
Hi all,

Sorry for the late reply but I have been busy at work and at watch/tweaking the new TV. As far as inputs are concerned, go to this page at Crutchfield.com -

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...S500&display=L

I am not sure of any added or upgraded features on the HS510 as of yet. Still looking around for that. The picture is awesome though especially after adjusting the red push and some minor geometry quirks.

The only annoying thing is that I can not turn off the DRC, however, my DVD's look amazing and my DirecTV is almost amazing. Using AVIA to calibrate the picture really helped.

Mitch

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I'm looking at that Crutchfield deal on the older HS500 too. Seems pretty good, along with the half-price offer for the Sony 715 player. Shipping at $19. Nice.

But the newer 510 can be had for $1299 at the goodguys, with free shipping. Mitch, since we don't go into retail issues in this section of the Forum, I'd very much appreciate, when you get a moment, a private message or e-mail about how you talked the goodguys into giving you a $100 break on that set. Thanks.

Mike Kao

Second Unit
I wonder how this compares to the 32hv600? It's last years model, but it allows you to adjust the DRC and turn it turn off, which the 32hs510 doesn't allow you to do from what you say.

Victor_W

Agent
Hi Mitch,

I am very interested in your experience with the HS510. Do you happen to know the difference between the HS510 and the older HS500 and the XBR800? What is the biggest difference between these 3 and is it worth the extra money for the XBR800?

Thanks,

vic

TimG

Second Unit
It looks to me like the difference between the HS500 and HS510 is that the 510 has the wide-band video amp that the 600 has. Besides that, it looks like they are the same feature wise. (Crutchfield didn't show a picture of the 510 so it may look a little different) Can't comment on the XBR800.

TimG

I saw a brand new HS510 at Belmont TV in Arlington, VA on Monday. Unfortunately, Belmont didn't have an HD signal routed to the set. They had an awful looking DBS signal playing on it and there was no DVD player hooked up to it.

The new 510 was marked at $1299.99. If it wasn't marked, I would have thought it was the old HS500. To me, they look exactly the same. As a matter of fact, you be hard pressed to notice the difference.

At this point, I really do think that last year's HS600 is the better buy. You get more features for about the same money. If you can get a good deal on the HS600. Go for it!

Peace!

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
I don't get it. Isn't the HS500 a 4:3 set and the HS510 is a 16:9 set? Someone just said they couldn't tell the difference between the two sets. ;)

Anyway, I just recently purchased a HS500 myself for $1200. How big of a deal is it that you can't turn of DRC? I may be wrong but I thought I remember it being an option in the menus when I was looking at it in the store. They had DVD playing on it and I thought I remember it being possible to turn the DRC on and off. Maybe i'm wrong. ?

Also, here is my aproximate breakdown for my tv usage. Could someone tell me if the 4:3 32" HS500 is suitable for my usage levels? Thanks for any input.

tv watching (regular cable) 50%
videogames (Xbox, PS2, Cube) 35%
DVDs 15%

Dan.B

Paul Seyfarth

Stunt Coordinator
"I don't get it. Isn't the HS500 a 4:3 set and the HS510 is a 16:9 set? Someone just said they couldn't tell the difference between the two sets. "

Nope, both are 4:3 sets.

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
What are the differences between the 500 and the 510? I can't really seem to find them. The same goes for the HV600.

Are those three sets very similar to each other? Should I return my HS500 if I can get either of the other ones for the same price ($1200)? Thanks

Dan.B

TimG

Second Unit
Since it has been stated they didn't change the look of the 510 from the 500. The only differences are the 510 has the wide-band video amp, and a lower MSRP. The 600 has the wide-band video amp and the adjustable DRC. The current 500 has an adjustable DRC, but you can not turn it off like you can on the 600. (Useful for some heavily compressed stations) Personally I agree with Robin, if the prices are the same get the 600, otherwise you will be happy with either the 500 or the 510.

TimG

P.S. I don't really miss not being able to turn off the DRC on our 500.

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
Thanks Tim. I've got another question though. Will the DRC effect videogames negatively? I play a lot of Cube, Xbox, and PS2 games and I would probably consider that to be my first and foremost concern with my new tv. I would put DVD's second and tv last. In terms of concern.

Does the DRC only effect regular tv signals? I'm not taking delivery on my HS500 for another 2 weeks so i'm still considering changing my order and getting the new Sony widescreen 30". I'm really torn right now. I don't know what to do! :frowning: A lot of my favorite videogames aren't 16:9.

Dan.B

Mark Hedges

Second Unit
If you are playing a game in progressive scan there is no DRC. DRC is only used for 480i sources.

Like I have said before, I have the 32HS500 and think it looks AMAZING for DVD's and games. I am satisfied with the 4:3 aspect ratio. The VAST majority of TV (and most videogames too) are in 4:3 and will be for a long time to come so I think it makes sense as a general purpose TV. The only downside is that the picture is a little smaller than I would like when watching 2.35:1 movies but its not too bad.

Mark

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
Thanks Mark. Ok, now I feel like I can calm down. I'm going to stick with the HS500. Considering I do play a lot of games a 4:3 set is the best for me right now. 5 years from now I wouldn't be saying that because I think at that point console games will almost always offer a 16:9 option and will likely be in 1080i. So, for now, I don't think I could get a better 32" 4:3 for $1200. By the way Mark, what kind of DVD are you using? I'm still not sure if I will be happy with my Xbox or if I should spend $150 and get a decent progressive scan player. Then again Sony just announced they're releasing a prgressive version of the PS2 next month. I may just have to trade in my current PS2 and get a new one. Problem solved! :)

Your right about 2:35 movies though. They will be a little tiny looking but certainly not unbearable. 16:9 however, are certainly big enough on a 32" screen.

Does anyone know what the 16:9 windown size is when displayed on a 32" 4:3 screen? Thanks. :)

Dan.B

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks