What's new

Kung Fu Season Two (1 Viewer)

Rutgar

Second Unit

You're mis-stating my position. I never said it's "okay" that a show can be "butchered", because it's my "favorite show". I'm saying that I'm NOT going deprive myself of one of my favorite shows just because it's not OAR. If you would pull yourself away from this "OAR or NOTHING" dogma, and take an honest look at what you're REALLY missing, you would find that the cropping is indeed "negligible". Like I said earlier, a lot of what you're complaining about "missing" from the first season of Kung-Fu, wasn't viewable anyway, due to the extreme overscan of TV's of the day.

Do I prefer OAR? Yes. I always buy anamorphic widescreen, when given a choice. Do I get my panties in wad because a TV show has been cropped from 4:3 to 16x9, and it's done to a show I really liked? No. So, you'll have to forgive me if I think that the "OAR or NOTHING" stance, is a bit draconian, and silly.

Doug^Ch

Second Unit
Ditto to everything that Rutgar has said regarding Kung Fu and the aspect ratio controversy. The studio did a beautiful job with the first season, and I'm not afraid to say it. It really should be more about the "show" and less about the technical issues. If I love a show, I'm certainly not going to let OAR issues stop me from acquiring and enjoying it. One last thing; for everyone who wants the studio to remake the first season to match the second, it looks like you're up Shit Creek without an OAR:D

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
How do you know that? Who knows what will happen in the future. Less work was needed, but look at Paramount, I Love Lucy, and Star Trek: TOS; after being released in one format, they were or are being released on fewer discs.

BTW, I own Kung Fu: Season 1 and am not too certain I would "upgrade" anyway. But, it's not out of the realm that it will be reissued at some point.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
I am glad they released Season 2 in the OAR. It proves the studio listened to all the complaints from those of us who care about the original presentation. Those who for some reason want to see a cropped version can simply press a button on their remote and get it, but we can't do the same thing in reverse.

BTW, no way was overscan so severe on 70's TV that 1:33 to 1 became 1:78 to 1. LOL

OAR draconian? I guess some people would really prefer GONE WITH THE WIND be re-issued in that absymal 2:20 to 1 cropped abomination version that was shown in the late 60s? I've seen stills from it and I was horrified that anyone saw it that way!

Rutgar

Second Unit

I agree. I'm just saying that you still lost picture info on the top and bottom of a 4:3 image due to the overscan of those TV's (as well as on the sides). The directors of the day knew this, and framed the show with this in mind. Thus giving themselves a little leeway. So, what I'm saying is, you're not really "losing" anything by re-framing the 4:3 image to a 16x9 image. Well, maybe a little. But insignificant compared to say cropping a 2.35:1 motion picture to 4:3. When that's done, then I'm a little more "hardcore" about AOR as well. But getting upset over a TV Show that's transferred from 4:3 to 16x9 just isn't worth the energy.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Now that's an oxymoron! I'm considering adding it to my signature:

Oxymoronic justification for pan & scan: It was "properly re-framed"

:) :) :)

Donnie Eldridge

Supporting Actor
I just got through watching the first two episode. To my eyes season two is a marked improvement over season one which was great. I'll try and post some screen captures later.:emoji_thumbsup:

Rutgar

Second Unit

I guess in george kaplin's world, there is only ONE way to frame a scene. Not to mention, you took that quote completely out of context.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Well there's lots of ways to frame a scene, but only one PROPER way, and that's the way intended by the director, not some pan & scanned or crop & dropped, where a technician decides what should and shouldn't get cut out of the picture.

Ken Wilson

Agent
Well, I'm about half-way through Season Two, and I'm enjoying it a lot. The picture quality is beautiful, although sometimes it gets a little soft or out-of-focus. (Maybe some of the actors/actresses had that written into their contract for close-ups! :) Most close-ups are clean and detailed and almost high def quality.
I haven't watched the special features yet, other than listening to one episode again that had a commentary track by David Carradine. (the one where a member of the Barrymore family blew everybody away in acting ability!)

I really enjoyed Season One also - I'M GLAD I BOUGHT IT!

I watched all of these shows in the 70's when they came out, it's great to see them again and show them to my kids.

Anyone who says that "The Legend Continues" is a better show is completely wrong, and has not seen the original. That or they are young, having grown-up with the mindless crap and Action flicks that pass for TV nowadays, and they don't know any better. It was a cartoon by comparison, unrealistic, with stupid magic tricks, bullsh*t mysticism and some really goofy characters.

At least the older show was truly spiritual, and you can actually learn from it.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
On the last disc, The Cenotaph was misspelled "The Cenopath" on the menu for both episode. Just mentioning it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks