What's new

Kung Fu Season Two (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
David B., I am with you on Kung Fu:The Legend Continues. I wonder if their has been any inkling of this coming out when the original show is released.

Yeah, personally, I like KF:TLC even more than the original series. It's just a great show though its ending is a bit sad.

Jano

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Guys, this is kinda funny, in a frustrating way. People complained that Warner released season 1 in widescreen when it shouldn't be, and now that they realize their mistake they release season 2 in 1.33:1 and get crapped on for doing so. Yes, the aspect ratio for season 1 was wrong, but they've basically admitted they were wrong without issuing a press release, and instead of saying, "Okay, we understand you screwed up," people are pissed that they fixed it.

It's fine to complain to the studios, but don't punish them when they fix a mistake; it confuses them.

Gord

Jeff(R)

Second Unit

The original aspect ratio being used for Season 2 is correct, as everyone realizes. No mistake has been fixed. Season 1 is still messed up, with no plans announced to correct it, which is a major problem for many people who would like to own and watch the complete set in order.

Jeff

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Gord,

Putting season 2 out in OAR is not "fixing the error", it's "not continuing to make the same error". That's good, but if they really want to fix the error, they need to redo season 1 in OAR and make that available.

Jonathan Kaye

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Kaye
The same occurred in Region 2 when the first series (season) of the remake of "Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased)" was released in 4:3 even though it was made and transmitted in 16:9. The second series was properly released, and only that series sits on my DVD shelf. I voted with my wallet when it came to the first series, and returned it to the store I bought it from, and wouldn't hesitate to do the same for other shows.

That way, those looking at sales figures will see that OAR sells more than cropped.

steve blake

Stunt Coordinator
got the region 2 boxset this morning,and it is still widescreen,like season 1 with no extras at all.nice picture quality,just a pity its cropped.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I still hope we can get Kung Fu:The Legend Continues after the original is all done.

Rutgar

Second Unit
I bought season one. And, I'll buy season two. Frankly I think the controversy over the aspect ratio of the show is way overbloated. If you like the show buy it. If not, don't. But, not agreeing with the AR is a poor reason to NOT buy one of your favorite TV shows.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
You're entitled to your opinion, but I think it's a horrific one. Having the show crop&dropped means you're not getting your favorite show, you're getting part of it. Would having it chopped down to a 30 minute version be a a poor reason not to buy it? Would having the cast from the Simpsons dub the voices for it be a poor reason not to buy it?

Frankly, just because a show is your favorite is a poor reason TO buy a MAR version of a show.

Rutgar

Second Unit
Cutting a 1-hour show in half, to thirty minutes is hardly the same thing as re-framing the image to a different aspect ratio. Most TV's of the day suffered from severe overscan. So, most likely, you're not really "losing" anything with a 16x9 framing. I bought the first season, and thoroughly enjoyed it. I just bought the second season, and I'm sure I'll like it just as well. Again, if it's the "show" that you like, then the cropping won't matter. But, if you refuse to buy a show that you consider to be one of your "favorites", just to make some kind of pompous "OAR or NOTHING" statement; Then, you're really hurting no one but yourself.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
The people who took that attitude obviously did do some good, or season 2 would be MARred just like season 1.

Rutgar

Second Unit
Oh good grief. Get over yourself. I didn't call you pompous, I said the statement you were trying to make by not buying the DVD is pompous.

Look; I prefer OAR as well. But, if a show that I like comes out in a different AR, I don't NOT buy it just because of that. Otherwise, I'd miss a lot of my favorites. Besides, the first season was framed very well, in an beautiful anamorphic 16x9 transfer, and looked great. But, if you didn't buy it, you wouldn't know that.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
What's this thread about? :)

I picked up the season 2 set last night but haven't had a chance to look at it yet. Any impressions from anyone who has viewed the set?

- Walter.

Rutgar

Second Unit

LOL! Is that supposed to be an insult? So much for taking the moral high ground. If it wasn't for these "Greedy, Lazy Companies", you wouldn't have ANY of your favorite shows. OAR or otherwise.

Let me ask you this; Do you have a widescreen TV? If so, then I would suggest you buy the first season. They did a really good job with it. And it looks great on a widescreen TV. BTW, the new 4:3 transfer looks pretty good too. One of the better 4:3 "TV Show" transfers I've seen.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Yes, I have a widescreen tv. And when I watch films that have widescreen OAR's it either fills my screen, or I have bars on the top and bottom which don't bother me in the least, because I'm seeing all of the film. And when I watch films or tv shows with 1.33 OAR, I have bars on the side, which don't bother me, because I'm seeing all of the film or show.

I don't care how glorious the portion of Kung Fu that they've provided looks, I want to see the whole thing. It's like me giving you a Picasso, but I cut off the top and bottom. "Hey, the part I gave you looks really good". Maybe, but it ain't the painting Picasso painted.

If you're happy watching only some of Kung Fu, then good for you. But please don't try to tell those of us that only want to watch all of Kung Fu that we're wrong. At least not on this officially PRO-OAR ONLY forum. Go over to www.panandscanisgreat.com and post it.

What I don't understand is that you seem to think because it's your favorite show that it makes it OK that it's been butchered. For me, the MORE I like a film or show, the MORE upset I get about it being non-OAR or otherwise butchered. I get MORE angry the more I like a show. You seem to get less angry the more you like the show that's being mutilated. I'll just never understand that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks