Kung Fu - Season 1 (March 16th) is not OAR

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by David Lambert, Dec 9, 2003.

1. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Well I'm not conflicted at all. I'd buy this if it were OAR, but I won't buy it non-OAR. I frankly don't give a damn whether you're losing picture on the top or bottom, or from the sides, you're losing picture.

If the marketing morons think this will sell more as presented 'widescreen', then they need to at least make sure it's also presented OAR. As much as it galls me to see a dvd with a MAR presentation in addition to the OAR, it galls me far more to see MAR only.

If marring a widescreen film is pan & scan, what do we call marring a 1.33 film (or tv show)? Crop & Drop?

2. Rodon

Rodon Second Unit

I will bend. I have been wanting it for sooo long. I am a fan of OAR but maybe fair weathered. If OAR Jung Fu is released I will probably by again. But until then I will watch Kung Fu on the only formay available on DVD. I can't wait for this series. Used to stay up late as a kid with my dad so we could watch this!

In fact - I will buy two sets most likely - My Dad will also own this!

3. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Producer
    Supporter

Josh Steinberg

4. Haggai

Haggai Producer

5. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Gone with the Wind was re-issued in the 1960's blown-up for 70mm. Hey, despite it being cropped to 2.21:1 and processed by Metrocolor...it had 6-track stereophonic sound! [​IMG]

6. Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin Screenwriter

No, please don't say this is going to happen with The Dukes of Hazzard, too! As much as I love Warner for a lot of great releases in 2003 (Looney Tunes Gold, the 2-Disc SE's, Space Ghost, The West Wing & ER), they've suddenly changed from the potential breakout studio of 2004 into a bunch of fools out to ruin the idea of an original aspect ratio.

What are they thinking?

7. Frank@N

Frank@N Screenwriter

8. Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl Screenwriter

Christian Preischl

9. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

Actually, 24 was filmed widescreen and cropped for broadcast. However, it was filmed for both ratios, so they made sure the image was safe in a 4:3 screen while also keeping the 16:9 image composed nicely.

10. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Stop with this "not as bad as" malarkey and look at it on its own terms. Anyone who buys this is helping to set a precedent that MAR is okay as long as the MAR is wider than 1.33:1.

I am now dreading every Warner TV-on-DVD release that interests me (and to date there have been almost NONE). If they do it to any show I actually want to see I will be mortified beyond belief.

11. Chet_F

Chet_F Supporting Actor

This is the EXACT reason why Buffy has been released in widescreen over seas. Of course they have broadcast their shows in 16:9 wide also but it's the same idea. The market requests it......the market gets it. Started with Buffy and if you thought that was the end of it your sourly mistaken....this is just the beginning. J6P is still J6P even though he has a widescreen TV.

Inevitably there will be the whiners "I have black bars on the side now DOGONEIT!!I thought those darn things would be gone now that we have one of those new fangled widescreen dohickeys!!!! At least that's what these sales guys said anyways!!"

What REALLY get's me going is how easily people who have fought so hard for OAR in the past few years and now they are like "Well as long as it's widescreen......."

Let the hypocrisy begin!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

12. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

13. Thomas T

Thomas T Cinematographer

You can't win! Pan and scan releases of wide screen films, stereo remixes of mono films, colorized B&W movies and now wide screen releases of TV shows shot 1.33.

It should all be so simple really. Release them in their ORIGINAL and INTENDED form whatever it may be. End of discussion.

14. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

15. Rick P

Rick P Supporting Actor

16. Louis C

Louis C Supporting Actor

Kung-Fu has been on my waiting list for what seems like forever. Although the non-OAR move is a travesty, I won't be denied my Kung Fu.

Finally it's here!!!!!! I had thought this day might never come.

17. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

18. Brian W.

Brian W. Screenwriter

Brian

19. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

20. Rodney

Rodney Supporting Actor
    Supporter

This is a bad precedent, and I am really worried about the posts above saying that they will buy this regardless. This should be as important as Willy Wonka, and we should put a stop to this as soon as possible. I think we need to call, write and email the studio. We need to correct their mistaken impression that we want widescreen only, when in reality we want O-A-R!!!