What's new

Kudos to Better Cables (1 Viewer)

Thomas B

Agent
I ordered the new Silver Serpent S-video cable and from Better Cables and just had to post my impressions here. I purchased a Sony DVP-550D a couple of years ago and was very pleased with the picture quality. However, I have read a number of comments that the picture quality would likely improve even more with a higher quality video cable. Well, I read some reviews and comments about the Silver Serpents from Better Cables, so I took the plunge. And, I am glad I did! The colors are more vibrant, the resolution even appears improved. The general picture quality was good before with the "out-of-the-box" cable, but I can definitely see an improvement with the Silver Serpent. I thought maybe this was just my positive thinking, so I didn't tell my wife about the new cable, and while watching "Cast Away" last night, she quickly noticed the improvement, too.
Just wanted to give a 5-star rating to Better Cables for this product.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Congrats.
If you dont mind, could you tell us what size TV you have and how long the cable run is?
My working theory is that people can get by with inexpensive cables for smaller tube systems with short runs, but a better cable is called for as the display size increases, the length of run increases, or you start shoving HD/Progressing signals.
So what is your system like?
Also, what type (brand) of cable were you using before?

Thomas B

Agent
I have a 35-inch direct view Mitsubishi set, and the cable length is only 1 meter. Believe me, I really didn't think that such a short cable would make much difference. That's why I waited this long (nearly 2 years) before deciding to buy the expensive cable. As I said, the picture quality with the in-box cable was good, but one can tell a definite improvement with the new cable.

Thomas B

Agent
Sorry if I didn't make it clear that the TV is NOT a high-definition set, but it is a "digital" set. Also, the previous S-video cable I used was merely the stock in-box cable that came with the Sony DVD player.

Deane Johnson

Supporting Actor
Thomas:
I had the same experience as you, only with the Better Cables Ultra component cable feeding my front projector. The bang for the buck improvement was definately worthwhile.
I then added a Better Cables coax for my audio, replacing a Monstor Series 3 coax. Both were about the same price. The improvement was significant.
Deane

Thomas B

Agent
Deane, I also ordered a Better Cables digital audio coax cable to use with my new receiver (that I haven't ordered yet, but will either be an Onkyo 595 or 696.) I hope the quality of their coax cable matches the performance of this S-video cable. Glad to hear that you are pleased with yours!

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I've become conviced of the benefits from using silver in cables since I got my Link Removed I'm curious about your S-Video cable though. I noticed a huge change when I upgraded mine to the thicker AR cables but I wonder what a silver version would do for me? What sort of benefits did you see?
------------------
http://www.attcanada.ca/~itisi

Thomas B

Agent
The two changes that were most noticable were the improvement in the color (seemed much more vivid and life-like) and the resolution or clarity of the picture. I had already used Avia to calibrate my set, and then recalibrated after changing the cables. I don't mind telling you, I don't have a high-def set, or even component-input capability, but the S-video picture on this set now would be hard for me to improve on. My wife and I could tell a definite difference with the new cable, even though we really were not displeased with the picture quality of the original in-the-box cable.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Thomas:
Glad to hear the Bettercables are living up to their reputation. I got one of the Silver Serpents to feed my 35 inch TV and what I noticed more than just an increase in the clarity of the picture was an also an vast improvement in color saturation and black levels. I was using Monster Video cables before.
Parker

PomingF

Second Unit
Like Andrew I tried out the SilverCats when it first came out with a bit of reservation since I already have what I consider good enough interconnects in my system. It was the price plus the fact that the Cats also come with my favorite locking RCA making it hard to resist. :) After some head to head comparison I came away pleasantly surprised and ended up ordering more contemplating future needs. Right now I am waiting for their XLR & Super/Duper digital cables to debut so to complete my 'all silver' connection.
eek.gif

Now that I know silver do make my HT/audio system sound better, can't wait to try some silver component cables from guess who.
wink.gif
But that will have to wait till I am ready to take that front projector step.
PF
[Edited last by PomingF on July 14, 2001 at 09:30 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks